Best cardio workout for cheap

Options
I am a men (27 years old) and since I've been working in IT, I've gained 20 pounds of fat. I want to get rid of it and get in an overall better shape.
I live in an apartment, do not have stairs.
I have a pull-up bar, a yoga mat and a jump rope.

Considering that right now, I have no cardio. Is there a good cardio workout that I could do at home for cheap (under 100$)?
I can't have a bike or other cardio machines, I do not have the space to store it.
(I already have running clothes to run 8 months a year, I'd like to workout inside for a change).

I was thinking of getting plastic steps, is this a good idea?

Replies

• EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    1 suggestion: buy a couple kettlebells and go to town on different swings/lifts.

Russian kettlebell swing
    American Kettlebell swing
    Suitcase pick-up
    Snatches
    that one arm (I forget what it is called).

Look up more online.

2nd suggestion: look up on meet-up.com for recreational programs. Lots of basketball/flag football is posted in my area.

3rd suggestion: :Youtube clips
    Insanity

Find a program and have fun.
    If steps work for you: get a step. Get a box and work on higher box jumps.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Jump rope is cardio.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope isn't considered cardio? Where have I been? :huh:
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford a normal gym membership, if there's a YMCA near you, they work with lower-income people, their philosophy is everyone deserves a place to work out and stay healthy (I have a low income membership myself - all classes and the gym itself included. I'm there 7 days a week! Zumba 3x, swimming twice, strength 3x, cardio every day! I get every penny out of my membership) which basically covers all kinds of workouts, cardio, strength, classes, swimming.

There's tons of at-home videos on YouTube. I recommend FitnessBlender both on YouTube and their website, fitnessblender.com. You can search for their workouts that don't require equipment.
  • rlynnehawk
    rlynnehawk Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a mini trampoline for jogging indoors...it will get your heart rate up pretty good! I got mine from Walmart for about 50.00 and it came with a counter and calorie burn estimator and some resistance bands.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If you already have a jump rope just do that. Or do burpees or sprints til you puke. Thats my fav. They're free.
  • dmlove128
    dmlove128 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you want to spend NO CASH at all and get a great work out in...I suggest you use YouTube.com and type in FITNESSBLENDER ...This couple has awesome workouts on the web for anyone. Strenght training, cardio, you name it! Give it a try
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    The BEST cardio is one you'll do. Cardio exercise that may burn lots of calories, but not doable by you is worthless. Fast walking/jogging/running is FREE and really takes no special equipment other than a good pair of shoes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • astylla
    astylla Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs with only YouTube as my gym. I used Biggest Loser Last Chance workout and also HasFit Beginner and Insanity workouts. Both incorporate strength training ( I used filled water bottles as my weights) and cardio. There are so many videos out there and I live in an apartment so I understand. Though I joined a gym now , it;s definitely possible to do without you just have to stick with it. Hope this helps !
  • TinyJimbo
    TinyJimbo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do not have a gym close to my home, I live in a very small town.

I am very hesitant to try kettle bells since I am absolutely terrible with posture and I usually suck with sports that requires coordination. I used to be a runner years back but I got sick the temperature here (way up north in Canada).

I will follow up on the suggestions everyone provided, I am asking only out of curiosity.
    Is there a reason steps is not a good cardio workout? I do not have experience with steps but it seems like it would be great for the butt, thighs, core and cardio.

Also, the corridor in my apartment is only 25 feet long. How would I go about sprinting? (again, asking out of curiosity).

You mentioned the mini trampoline, how does that work?
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My apartment is pretty small too, I started out (I'm Canadian too, so I only got outside in about April) doing Leslie Sansone videos on YouTube. They're too easy for me now that I've lost 52lbs, but before they were perfect. There are quite a few on YouTube. But yes - as I said and someone seconded - I think you're a great candidate for FitnessBlender videos!
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Jump rope
    Switch kick (high kick)
    High knees
    Burpees

(only need a jump rope (dollar stores works fine)....and enough space to lay down..not more)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I use FitnessBlender on the internet and The Daily Burn. I know you don't have to pay for the FitnessBlender site unless you want to (I sent them $10 just for the hell of it).. I don't know for sure about the Daily Burn. Both sites have different routines that don't need any equipment. I live in a really small studio so I'm limited in the choices I can make.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I second Fitness Blender, and you got a lot of great ideas, but I have to ask...how do you get out if there's a fire???
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    For indoor cardio without equipment, you can run up and down your stairs (if you have them, that is, which I jsut realized that you don't, so nevermind LOL).

Jumping rope is also a good one.

You can do burpees, too.

I used to do Tae Bo through videos, in my own living room. No equipment necessary. I'd still do it if I hadn't lost the video. It was one of my favorite workouts.
  • GoldFinch22
    Options
    Walking is excellent.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think your idea of a step workout us fantastic. Very little space needed and many exercise variations possible. A good cardio workout and tones many muscles as well. Can be done to music or while watching TV.
  • midwinteraz
    midwinteraz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of my workouts from Fitness Blender and the BeFit channel on youtube.

Lifehacker also has a fairly comprehensive list of things you can do w/out a gym membership:

http://lifehacker.com/this-table-of-exercises-shows-you-how-to-get-fit-withou-1525971528

(sorry - don't know how to create hyperlinks here - just cut and paste that URL into your browser)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    When you say plastic "steps", do you mean an aerobic step? Like this?

adjustable-aerobic-step-exercises.jpg

If that's what you mean, that would be a great idea.
  • TinyJimbo
    TinyJimbo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's what I have in mind. I was thinking of mixing that and jump rope with stuff like push-ups, pull ups, sit-ups.....