Kale

Options
I need more ways to sneak veggies into my diet. I bought a bushel of kale and now need to know what to do with it. How do I use kale? Preferably a way that tastes good.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    In smoothies or make kale chips
  • DLKadlecek
    DLKadlecek Posts: 11
    Options
    Like do I just mix it up in my morning meal replacement shake? Or is there a recipe you use? And does kale make the texture of the smoothie weird? I am googling kale chips right now.
  • daniellee725
    daniellee725 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My new favorite way is steamed with a little bit of salt. The steaming helps break down the bitter taste and rough texture, but it only takes a couple minutes, don't steam it too long. I used to try to eat it raw in a salad, but the bitter aftertaste was too much. I prefer it now as a warm side dish. :)
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I like to add it in place of spinach in crockpot recipes--it's holds up better and cooks down nicely. I'll also pulse it in the food processor and add it to lowfat ricotta for stuffed shells/lasagna.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Chop it up and add it to any soup! Add it to spaghetti sauce. Saute it for a bit then pour your uncooked scrambled eggs on top. Finely chop it and add it to your salad. Here are a couple recipes:

Creamy Spaghetti Squash, Chicken, and Kale
    4 Servings, 390 calories/serving

Raw, Boneless, Skinless - Chicken Breast, 12 ounces (112g)
    Vegetable - Lacinato Kale, 160 g (1 cup, chopped)
    Onion - Fresh, Raw, 100g, 208 g
    Kraft Philly - Cream Cheese, 3 oz
    Generic - Spaghetti Squash Raw, 1011 g
    Blue Diamond - Almond Breeze - Almond Milk (Unsweetened), 1 cup (240 ml)
    Garlic - Garlic, 2 clove
    Safeway - 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, 14 tbsp

Cook spaghetti squash however you like to cook it then scrape it out after it's cooled. Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces and cook up with some salt and pepper. Set aside. Mix together cream cheese, almond milk, parmesan cheese and heat until combined. Mix everything together. Tasty! Salt and pepper to taste!

235 calories/serving, makes 2 large servings

Creamed Kale and Spinach
    Butter - Unsalted, 0.5 tbsp
    Trader Joes - Raw Organic Coconut Oil, 1.5 tsp (15ml)
    Spice World - Fresh Shallots, 17 g
    Generic - Fresh Kale - oz, 6.5 oz
    Fresh Attitude - Baby Spinach, 180 g (2 cups)
    Stella - Fontinella Cheese, 1 oz (parmesan is the same)
    Milk - Whole, 6 fl oz (Go lighter with 2%!!!)

Saute shallots in oil and butter. Add chopped kale and spinach. Cook for 10 or so minutes over medium heat. If you cover it, it will wilt a bit faster but you don't want to leave it covered the whole time or it will be watery. Add milk and cheese and stir until the cheese is melted in. Let it simmer until the greens are to your liking. I usually add some crushed chili flakes and salt and pepper.
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are pretty fantastic on their own or with a dip - plain salsa is fine but I like a mix of plain greek yogurt and salsa, because om nom healthy and protein, but still delicious. The only other time I use kale is in smoothies. I find if I have a cup of kale leaves, it doesn't have an effect on the taste. I bought a bunch myself the other day because I hadn't had it in forever, and I'm kind of stumped with what to do with it besides chips as well!
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I use kale in morning smoothies, salads and soups. This a.m., I used two cups of kale, protein powder, ff milk (1/2C), 1/4 C fresh blue berries and 8 ice cubes in my blender. I always cut the stem part off the kale and tear up in small pieces, wash and store in a zip lock bag. In soups, (veg, barley, potato). The only thing I don't like are kale chips but I look at fresh kale as a gift to my good health.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I sauté it with some garlic and eat with brown rice.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    In my experience, kale doesn't affect the flavor or texture of smoothies. The basic smoothie formula is a liquid, some greens, fruit, the extras (yogurt, protein powder, peanut butter, etc.), and ice. Just toss everything in a blender and go nuts! If you're worried about it adding bitterness to the smoothie, then you can freeze it beforehand to get rid of that.

You can also make a "massaged" kale salad out of raw kale by chopping it up, mixing it with an acidic fruit like pineapple (or a vinegar-based dressing) and rubbing it down with your fingers for a few minutes to make it easier to chew.

If you continue to buy kale in the future, see if you can get your hands on what they call dinosaur kale, as I hear it's much less tough. Also, like those fine people above have suggested, kale chips are very tasty and you won't regret making them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I often use in in an omelet, as I would spinach.

I don't often make smoothies anymore, but would include it in a fruit based one--maybe half a banana, some berries, almond milk or skim milk, and a bunch of kale. It's an ugly color but tastes good. I imagine you could include protein powder too. I put enough in that you did taste it some, but in a pleasantly green or grassy way.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love kale!

Mix some chopped kale into a bag of pre-made broccoli slaw and toss with a ginger & sesame vinaigrette.

Saute with garlic and lemon juice, top with a bit of good parmesan cheese

Add it to pastas, soups, smoothies, casseroles, etc. Basically if you would put spinach in it, kale would work as well.