Trying to think of some new salad ideas

Options
Rainydaygirl1
Rainydaygirl1 Posts: 117 Member
I have been eating a lot of salads but I'm getting a little bored with just spring mix, avacado, grape tomato, and mushroom.
Anyone have any tasty ideas, preferable on the cheap side? thanks :)

Replies

• Gimpypal
    Gimpypal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I doctor my salad up with some additions such as purple onion, red bell pepper, shredded carrots, cucumber, feta cheese, cranberries, toasted pecans, olives, mandarin oranges, etc. Use a good balsamic vinegar and ground pepper to top it off.
  • RayLeen19
    RayLeen19 Posts: 106
    Options
    Green bell peppers, chives, hard boiled egg, okra, celery, bean sprouts taste good. You can also make a fruit salad and add lettuce to that, that taste great too.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    vegetables of all kinds, raisins, currants, cranberries, nuts, cheese of various kinds, sunflower seeds... the sky is the limit.

One salad I particularly love started as a lettuce wrap but was messy so we made it into a salad: cooked chicken breast, cooked bacon, pineapple, lettuce, bbq sauce of your choice and a little shredded cheddar if you like it.

Chopped kale, broccoli and cabbage with nuts, cranberries, feta and whatever dressing you like is good too. We like chicken in that too for a meal. Oh! And diced apples are really good in it.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I like my salads spicy and light on the greens, so I use scallions (I do eat the green tops), fresh garlic, jalapeno peppers and/or red peppers, onions, a sprinkle of raisins and sunflower seeds, and mushrooms.

I can't promise you'll have date night breath afterward, but it's definitely tasty.

Edit: Forgot tomatoes and/or sun dried tomatoes.
  • PaulaKac
    PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Fresh Spinach, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, hard-boiled egg. Sometimes I put in a little bacon. I make a dressing that goes really well with it.....a little goes a long way for taste
  • Rainydaygirl1
    Options
    Liking the ideas, thanks guys :)
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My favorite right now is romaine, chicken breast, strawberries and goat cheese. No dressing is even needed- which is surprising because I am a dressing hog.

I also like a good blue cheese wedge salad (I make my own blue cheese dressing- lite mayo, lemon juice, blue cheese crumbles and pepper). I skip the bacon. I had this tonight- so yummy!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    red leaf lettuce
    black or red beans
    tomato
    cubed grilled chicken
    spicy guacamole
    dollop of sour cream

mix all together, no dressing needed!
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    A sweet salad that I have for breakfast sometimes usually consists of a handful of spinach, some fruit (blueberries and bananas are the best that I've tried so far), and a dollop or two of plain Greek yogurt (full fat tastes best, but it's whatever you prefer). You can also throw in some slivered almonds or chopped walnuts for extra crunch. It's very light and nice for those moments when it feels like you've gotta have something fresh.

I'm also fond of throwing a soft boiled egg and some chopped bacon (both still warm) into a Romaine/spinach/arugula blend along with a tiny amount of bacon ranch dressing. The soft yolk of the egg mixes in well with the creamy dressing and the bacon is...well, it's bacon. Bacon makes everything better!
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Rice salad

white rice, black olivs, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, green pepper, banana peppers

lime juice as seasonning
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Dole has some newer chopped salad kits, the sunflower crunch (constantly sold out!) is crazy good. I'm not sure if the cost per serving is justifiable but you could make your own for less I am sure.

It has kale, green and red cabbage, romaine lettuce, carrots, sunflower seeds, a very small amount of bacon and green onions and a crazy good onion/citrus dressing. I added dried cranberries and it was good too.

Black beans and grilled corn are great in salad. Even if you think you don't like black beans, drain and rinse them and try them in salad. I always said I hated them, now I love them!

Chickpeas are another good throw in. You can throw them in as is or I roasted some today with a bit of Parmesan.

I'm craving salad now, oops!
  • Rainydaygirl1
    Options
    red leaf lettuce
    black or red beans
    tomato
    cubed grilled chicken
    spicy guacamole
    dollop of sour cream

mix all together, no dressing needed!

Oh my god that sounds amazing!
  • Rainydaygirl1
    Options
    Rice salad

white rice, black olivs, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, green pepper, banana peppers

lime juice as seasonning

I'll have to try that
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    google "spinach and date salad jeruselem cookbook" you will see a ny times article.

this is my favorite salad in the world. its amazing.

but dates have a lot of calories so the salad cant be eaten as a big salad unless you have a ton of calories left.

of you could find something with less cals in its place. its the sweet sour spicy salty chewy crunchy leafy thing... so you need something sweet
  • pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Some good suggestions in here. Thanks guys. :)
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I like gouda cheese, navel oranges, black plums and walnuts in mine. Oh and of course sweet cherry tomatoes. :) And also dried cranberries, blueberries, and raisins!!
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i've started throwing in some cooked quinoa and ground linseed/ground pumpkin seed and poppy seeds ..gives the salad a whole new crunch to it :drinker: