Yes, I am a SCALE ADDICT.

Options

Replies

• socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    When I bought the scale, I put it in the bathroom. Problem is, every time I walk into the bathroom, there it is, calling my name. I've done the middle-of-the-night weigh in! This post has just inspired me to move the scale to somewhere I visit less often. I'd like to keep it down to once or twice a week.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Sleep naked for efficiency.

(I weigh myself a few times a day out of curiosity. I put little stock in any particular number but hope they go down over time.)
  • buffywhitney
    buffywhitney Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you sister, this post made my day! I'm not alone :smile:
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Sleep naked for efficiency.

Okay. You got me. I laughed out loud at that OBVIOUS SUGGESTION. I am sure that my hubbie would feel that was the 'perfect solution'; but then, I wouldn't get much sleep. :laugh:
  • boliviafevr
    Options
    But also it has made me more aware of my macros. Sodium, for instance. I know the scale will be higher after a sodium-heavy day, or when my cycle is about to begin. It's making me aware of the daily changes in my body and I like being aware.

Agree wholeheartedly with this! seeing the patterns has helped me to get to know my body more and (slowly) become more accepting of it.

not sure if anyone else does this but one way I've helped control the concerns over day to day fluctuations is to use an app that calculates my trend (I use Libra on my droid device).. that way as long as I'm below the line (even if it's up from the day before) I know I'm on the right path!
  • chopsart
    chopsart Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This thread is too funny! I weigh in once a week.....
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am not only a scale addict (weigh every day) I am a MFP computer addict. I stay on this site way too much!
  • MrsC1st
    MrsC1st Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm a SCALE ADDICT TOO! I weigh myself every morning and sometimes two to three times a day. My scale has kept me on track. I may have some over indulgent days and my scale keep me honest about my intake.
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love your post Sue!

I do weigh myself every morning but I don't consider myself a scale addict. I use too "obsess over looking at that "number" and that would drive me crazy!

Like many here have said, I too, do it to learn about my body and how it responds to my new healthy eating habits and types of activities I do. I have found that even though I eat the correct amount of pasta or beans or fatty foods (once in a blue moon), I will gain weight and I lose more when I swim. I use to weigh some during the day too and at night, but I rarely do that anymore because I know that my body changes from morning to afternoon to night. I take a water pill too and if I have missed taking it I know I'll be up the next day or 2.

But what I really like is that on my "rest" day from exercise sometimes the scale shows a loss the next day! But I also have learned that when I push the exercise or weight train sometimes the number on the scale goes up and that's ok too because I know that I'm building muscle and most likely loosing inches!

Keep up the great work Sue and the great post! You are a blessing to us all here on MFP! :wink:
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I always look forward to your posts!

I weigh myself daily too. I just try to look at it as a blip of data on a chart and it takes the emotion out of it for me. Understanding what causes those fluctuations helped me out a lot too. I'm the person that years ago would leave WW meetings in tears after a bad weigh in.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but it has nothing to do with addiction. I am in maintenance and I trend my weight fluctuations along with my food intake and exercise to see what causes changes.
  • b4tb4t
    b4tb4t Posts: 30
    Options
    I weigh myself every other day and at random times. Just when I'm thinking about it. I don't really register the numbers in my head most of the time. It's just kinda like autopilot. lol

Just the action of stepping on the scale though is motivation for me to push harder, regardless of what it says. :)
  • jellybeansmamma
    jellybeansmamma Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, and record it on a weight tracker on my phone, but the only one I let myself feel happy or sad about is my Wednesday weigh in, which is the only one I record on mfp.

For me the daily weigh in takes some anxiety out of my day, whether the number is up or down from the previous day doesn't bother me, I just need to know the number.
  • honey_tequila
    honey_tequila Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, often a few times daily, if I see the scale I can't resist hopping on. I only log the first one in the morning, the rest are just curiosity, hehe :)
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am a scale addict it used to be bad that hubby hid them as it was destructive this time so far not so much yes I weigh daily but I dont let little fluctuations both me too much I try to keep perspective if I have had a bad day I check to see the damage and how hard to work to get it back and when its good its satisfying to go in the right direction but this time I seem more determined than I have ever been so maybe that mindset helps I wont let discouraging scales ruin me
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    But also it has made me more aware of my macros. Sodium, for instance. I know the scale will be higher after a sodium-heavy day, or when my cycle is about to begin. It's making me aware of the daily changes in my body and I like being aware.

Agree wholeheartedly with this! seeing the patterns has helped me to get to know my body more and (slowly) become more accepting of it.

not sure if anyone else does this but one way I've helped control the concerns over day to day fluctuations is to use an app that calculates my trend (I use Libra on my droid device).. that way as long as I'm below the line (even if it's up from the day before) I know I'm on the right path!

^^Same here! I'm definitely an addict, hopping on 2-10 times a day (I don't keep count :))…but it's more for fun and awareness. I know my body much better now and am aware that it tends to hold and drop water weight easily for various reasons.

I use Hackers Online to calculate the trend, and I don't stress over fluctuations. I'll re-assess things if it doesn't go down after 2 weeks…but I now focus on waist/hip measurements, bf%, and progress pics.

BUT of course I'm thrilled when I see the scale number go down :)
  • Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm also a daily weigher unless I know I absolutely messed up the night before. I just weighed myself in fact and I'm trying not to get discouraged cause I messed up a decent amount on Wednesday and Thursday night. Not even but a lot, but it sure shows on the scale :( But now I'm picking myself back up and getting on my exercise bike right now :)

I personally find it good to weigh daily because then I can see what I've done good and what I may have done bad the day before. It helps me to adjust my diet and exercise daily to fit my needs.
  • ReaganP13
    ReaganP13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    WARNING - TMI -

I'm Reagan, and I am a scale addict. I dont lose sleep over it, but I would be lying if I said I didn't weigh myself before and after a good poop.
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher, sometimes twice, but I have a reason...

If I am busting my butt, and working hard, and I weight weekly, and that happens to be a day I'm retaining water, I would be really bummed. BUT, if I've weighed all week and seen the numbers creeping down, then it's up on a given day, I find it easier to handle. It's just a blip, one day, not a reflexion of my current trend.

It also helps me see the effect of evening UPE (unplanned eating) and wine
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Guilty !!! And now I feel better LOL