The scale

Options
Note to self and others...The scale... usually is bad news... If you gain you get frustrated, if you lose you risk getting too happy and think you can "afford" to eat a little more... So, no matter what it says, if youre in a good groove, just keep doing what you doing, However, if you are lying to yourself... Your'e being naughty... Just because no one saw you eat it... does not mean it has zero calories. :wink:

Replies

• amtrust
    amtrust Posts: 178
    Options
    Ugh! So true! The scale is depressing. Every now and then...need the reality check, though! Yes, I wish what's not seen by others is calorie-free! :laugh: Just not the case!
  • kata5
    kata5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You are right. I have thought to myself "well no one is here to see that I have a bit of this or that" but then I thought it would only set me bad or even after while make me stop. I do have a scale in my home. Every few weeks I do to my dr. have her check me over and weigh there . Just wanted to let you know your thought is right. :)
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I worked with a trainer today who told me to avoid the scale as much as possible because I'm starting to weight train. He said that building muscle adds "good weight" but I may find it frustrating if I am hopping on a scale and show a gain rather than a loss. He said the best determinant of weight loss are the size of my clothes. He said I should by a pair of jeans one size down from what I wear now and in a month try to put them on. If I can get into them and zip them up, then I've lost weight.
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    I worked with a trainer today who told me to avoid the scale as much as possible because I'm starting to weight train. He said that building muscle adds "good weight" but I may find it frustrating if I am hopping on a scale and show a gain rather than a loss. He said the best determinant of weight loss are the size of my clothes. He said I should by a pair of jeans one size down from what I wear now and in a month try to put them on. If I can get into them and zip them up, then I've lost weight.

Violette, your trainer is right on! I am two sizes smaller than I was at the same weight a few years ago because of weight training.
    And DJ, I love and hate the scale...it has been my enemy for the last 3 months. I am very addicted to it and I give it way too much power! LOVE your words....it's as if you knew what was on my mind.....THANK YOU!!!:flowerforyou:
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    So true D, so true! I'm always telling people who start on this journey, DONT EVEN START WEIGHING!! (they never listen though) :laugh:
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more! I have been guilty of seeing a loss (in the past) on the scale and saying "oh, it's okay if I eat some junk food today" UGH! But if I have gained, even a pound, I get real annoyed. I am starting to go on the scale less and less and judge my weight loss by how my clothes fit..can't go wrong there!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!I only wt 1x a month with my dr.I would get so crazy about the scale,make myself nuts.I know if I do what I`m suppose to ,I`ll see results.I`ve lost over 90 lbs,it`s a long journey.But I`m not giving up.I think this website has helped so much.The support and just being accountable for what I eat and do.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!I only wt 1x a month with my dr.I would get so crazy about the scale,make myself nuts.I know if I do what I`m suppose to ,I`ll see results.I`ve lost over 90 lbs,it`s a long journey.But I`m not giving up.I think this website has helped so much.The support and just being accountable for what I eat and do.