Carbs?

Options
Hello everyone,

I’ve been hitting a plateau every time I reach 195lbs, it happens every time!
So after reading some post some of you suggested I figure I should try something different and start keeping track of carbs as that might be a reason why I’m not loosing it….
Most of my carbs are coming from fruits and fibre(healthy choices) so far for today I’m over my carb allowance but not over my calories and fat, so what should I do?
Is it o.k to go over my carbs if they come from healthy choices? If yes by how much is it acceptable?
Calories Protein Fat Fiber Carbs Sodium
  Breakfast
Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 1 cup 86 8 0 0 12 127
Bananas - Raw, 1 small (6" to 6-7/8" long) 90 1 0 3 23 1
Blueberries - Raw, 1 cup 83 1 0 3 21 1
General Mills Cereal - Fiber1, 1 1/4 cups 210 5 2 14 44 0
Plums - Raw, 1 fruit (2-1/8" dia) 30 0 0 1 8 0
  Lunch
Beans - Black, cooked, boiled, with salt, 1 cup 227 15 1 15 41 408
Kroger - Fat Free Sour Cream, 2 TBSP 20 1 0 0 3 25
Cheese - Feta, 0.15 cup, crumbled 59 3 5 0 1 251
Beets - Cooked, boiled, drained, 1 cup slices 75 3 0 3 17 131
  Dinner
Eggs - Hard-boiled (whole egg), 2 large 155 13 11 0 1 124

Total:   1,035 50 19 39 171 Sodium 1,068
Your Daily Goal:   1,200 45 40 14 165 sodium 2,500
Remaining:   165 -5 21 -25 -6 Soudium 1,432

Replies

• Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I’ve been hitting a plateau every time I reach 195lbs, it happens every time!
    So after reading some post some of you suggested I figure I should try something different and start keeping track of carbs as that might be a reason why I’m not loosing it….
    Most of my carbs are coming from fruits and fibre(healthy choices) so far for today I’m over my carb allowance but not over my calories and fat, so what should I do?
    Is it o.k to go over my carbs if they come from healthy choices? If yes by how much is it acceptable?
      Breakfast
    Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 1 cup 86 8 0 0 12 127
    Bananas - Raw, 1 small (6" to 6-7/8" long) 90 1 0 3 23 1
    Blueberries - Raw, 1 cup 83 1 0 3 21 1
    General Mills Cereal - Fiber1, 1 1/4 cups 210 5 2 14 44 0
    Plums - Raw, 1 fruit (2-1/8" dia) 30 0 0 1 8 0
      Lunch
    Beans - Black, cooked, boiled, with salt, 1 cup 227 15 1 15 41 408
    Kroger - Fat Free Sour Cream, 2 TBSP 20 1 0 0 3 25
    Cheese - Feta, 0.15 cup, crumbled 59 3 5 0 1 251
    Beets - Cooked, boiled, drained, 1 cup slices 75 3 0 3 17 131
      Dinner
    Eggs - Hard-boiled (whole egg), 2 large 155 13 11 0 1 124

Total:   1,035 50 19 39 171 Sodium 1,068
    Your Daily Goal:   1,200 45 40 14 165 sodium 2,500
    Remaining:   165 -5 21 -25 -6 Soudium 1,432
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The thing I did was to eat grains/starches only once a day and mininize the fruit intake and up my veggie intake. Also if you are under on calories that will slow your weight loss, try almonds or peanut butter to increase your calories without adding carbs.

hope that helps! :flowerforyou:
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    The thing I did was to eat grains/starches only once a day and mininize the fruit intake and up my veggie intake. Also if you are under on calories that will slow your weight loss, try almonds or peanut butter to increase your calories without adding carbs.

hope that helps! :flowerforyou:

ooh, that helps me -- I was wondering the same thing. Thanks! Didn't think of almonds or peanut butter. I read another good thread about how to "de-salt" nuts if necessary, too.

(just in case... they rinse/soak them in cold water and then roast them in the oven for a few minutes)

mmm!
  • dantell13
    Options
    My Tricglicerides is very high from my carb intake. I stopped all rice, breads, pastas, sweets and even fruits. My Tri's went down 350 points and I have lost 25 pounds all in 7 weeks. I am staying on this for a total of 3 months so I can get my blood work perfect and also get to 185 pounds. Started at 240. The hardest things is trying to get the energy to walk and workout. But this really works. Stay off the carbs if you can. Try the first week or part 1 of the South Beach. Good Luck
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Pine,
    It's not really good to go over your carbs, even if they are good carbs. That being said, you don't have to be perfect every day, I mean, if you go over your carbs by like 4 grams, you're not doing any damage, but don't go over by like 30 grams. That's bad if you do it consistantly. And check all your nutrients, not just carbs, it's important for your body chemistry to have EVERYTHING in balance. I.E. carbs, good fats, protein, vitamins, and minerals.

You can have a little fudge factor (maybe 5% or so) on any one individual group, but really the idea is to make sure they are all within the range you need so you aren't depriving yourself or overloading.

If you get the right amount of all of them, you should come VERY close to your calorie goal just because that's basically how it works.
  • Thrust
    Thrust Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you are severely lacking on calories. This along with too many carbs and huge protein deficit are causing your plateau. Regardless of MFP pseudo-calculations, you're daily intake should be way more than 1200 calories. As well, fruit (while packed full of healthy nutrients) is not ideal for fat-loss. I would suggest no more than one piece of fruit per day, eaten either for breakfast, pre-workout, or immediately following a resistance training workout.

Try something like the following:

For breakfast:
    40g of old-fashioned oats(measured uncooked), 40g of blueberries, 2 whole eggs, 4 egg whites

Snack:
    30g of whey protein mixed with water OR 1/2 cup of low-fat cottage cheese
    1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter or 14g of almonds or other healthy fat

Lunch;
    4oz of chicken, lean ground-beef (96/4), tuna, or other lean meat
    30g (measured uncooked) long-grain brown rice or whole wheat toast
    150g of broccoli, spinach, or other fibrous green veggie

Pre-workout (if not resistance training drop oats and add 1 tablespoon n. peanut butter):
    30g of whey protein
    40g of old-fashioned oats

Post-workout:
    30g of whey protein
    1 banana

Dinner:
    4oz of chicken or other lean meat
    35g (measured uncooked) long-grain brown rice or 1/2 sweet potato
    150g of broccoli

Optional late-night snack:
    1/2 cup of cottage cheese or other protein source
    1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter or flax seeds (equivalent to ~6-8g of fat)

If you're metabolism hasn't been too affected by your calorie deficit this plan will work. It will take a minimum of 2-3 weeks for you to see any noticeable progress and don't be surprised if you see 5+lbs gained (water weight) in the first week or two. After you stabilize then you can make alterations to the numbers if your progress stalls for greater than two weeks.

hope this helps.

**edit** see this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/21992-a-great-read-for-those-looking-for-fat-loss
  • banks1850
    Options
    By the way, what's with the 19 grams of fat? Are you trying not to eat fat? monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are VERY important to the body. don't shy away from good fats, fats in things like olive oils, nuts, fish, beans, avocados...etc. That's where your major gap is.

Remember, fats don't necessarily cause us to become fat!
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I think I would cut down on the fruit for breakfast a little ( I eat whole grain cereal with yogurt and one piece of fruit) ......on the lunch add a whole wheat flat bread or brown rice or a low cal wrap and maybe some low sodium salsa...... on the dinner at least some veggies with low fat ranch or any other dressing.... for snacks apples and cheese or peanutbutter, yogurt, jello or some turkey salad wraps.
    If you are exercising you need to eat even more, look up some of the articles Banks has posted( newbies read me 2nd edition), they made a lot of sence to me and it seems to work well for me so far....
  • Pineapples
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your input...your help is appreciated very very much....
  • Pineapples
    Options
    In my opinion you are severely lacking on calories. This along with too many carbs and huge protein deficit are causing your plateau. Regardless of MFP pseudo-calculations, you're daily intake should be way more than 1200 calories. As well, fruit (while packed full of healthy nutrients) is not ideal for fat-loss. I would suggest no more than one piece of fruit per day, eaten either for breakfast, pre-workout, or immediately following a resistance training workout.

Try something like the following:

For breakfast:
    40g of old-fashioned oats(measured uncooked), 40g of blueberries, 2 whole eggs, 4 egg whites

Snack:
    30g of whey protein mixed with water OR 1/2 cup of low-fat cottage cheese
    1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter or 14g of almonds or other healthy fat

Lunch;
    4oz of chicken, lean ground-beef (96/4), tuna, or other lean meat
    30g (measured uncooked) long-grain brown rice or whole wheat toast
    150g of broccoli, spinach, or other fibrous green veggie

Pre-workout (if not resistance training drop oats and add 1 tablespoon n. peanut butter):
    30g of whey protein
    40g of old-fashioned oats

Post-workout:
    30g of whey protein
    1 banana

Dinner:
    4oz of chicken or other lean meat
    35g (measured uncooked) long-grain brown rice or 1/2 sweet potato
    150g of broccoli

Optional late-night snack:
    1/2 cup of cottage cheese or other protein source
    1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter or flax seeds (equivalent to ~6-8g of fat)

If you're metabolism hasn't been too affected by your calorie deficit this plan will work. It will take a minimum of 2-3 weeks for you to see any noticeable progress and don't be surprised if you see 5+lbs gained (water weight) in the first week or two. After you stabilize then you can make alterations to the numbers if your progress stalls for greater than two weeks.

hope this helps.

**edit** see this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/21992-a-great-read-for-those-looking-for-fat-loss

wow...that's a lot of protein....i had tried that before well not really at this level but really going over my protein goals and it wasn't working either. I currently do 90 mins of work out :cardio and strength training 5 times a week...for the last month or so...I manage to drop 8lbs(2months)....but again I reached 195lbs and i'm stuck there. I'm going to start that up this week, you say 3 weeks right? if after 3 weeks I don't see any results(or the contrary) what should I do?
  • Pineapples
    Options
    so this is what I manage for the rest of today... planning ahead always helps =D

Breakfast
    Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 1 cup 86 8 0 0 12 127 remove
    Blueberries - Raw, 1 cup 83 1 0 3 21 1 remove
    General Mills Cereal - Fiber1, 1 1/4 cups 210 5 2 14 44 0 remove
    Plums - Raw, 1 fruit (2-1/8" dia) 30 0 0 1 8 0 remove
    Add Food Remember Meal 409 14 2 18 85 128
    Lunch
    Beans - Black, cooked, boiled, with salt, 1 cup 227 15 1 15 41 408 remove
    Kroger - Fat Free Sour Cream, 2 TBSP 20 1 0 0 3 25 remove
    Cheese - Feta, 0.15 cup, crumbled 59 3 5 0 1 251 remove
    Beets - Cooked, boiled, drained, 1 cup slices 75 3 0 3 17 131 remove
    Add Food Remember Meal 381 22 6 18 62 815
    Dinner
    Eggs - Hard-boiled (whole egg), 2 large 155 13 11 0 1 124 remove
    Great Value Tuna - Chunk Light Tuna In Water, 1 can 100 11 2 1 1 360 remove
    Kraft - Miracle Whip Salad Dressing, 2 Tbsp 70 0 6 0 4 200 remove
    Lettuce - Green leaf, raw, 2 cup shredded 11 1 0 1 2 20 remove
    Home Made Corn Tortilla, 1 tortilla 52 1 1 1 11 38 remove
    Hellmann's - Light Mayo, 0.5 tbsp 20 0 2 0 1 60 remove
    Add Food Remember Meal 408 26 22 3 20 802
    Snacks
    Add Food

Total: 1,198 62 30 39 167 1,745
    Your Daily Goal: 1,200 45 40 14 165 2,500
    Remaining: 2 -17 10 -25 -2 755
  • banks1850
    Options
    how tall are you Pineapples?
  • Pineapples
    Options
    how tall are you Pineapples?

5'3"
  • banks1850
    Options
    Assuming you are a lightly active person, you're minimum calories should be atleast 1300 because your maintenance calories are 2300. Checking you're BMI, you should be able to sustain this type of deficit for about 15 lbs more. After that you should probably lower your deficit. You may have to experiment, but 1200 calories is too few for you IMHO.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Heya Pineapples :flowerforyou: It may help you to start looking at all the data on the Food Diary. My wife and I tried to be Carb Nazi's for awhile, but it didn't really do much for us. :grumble: So, instead we try to be carb conscious instead. :drinker: Mucho better results. I now lok at calories first, then take a gander at both carbs and fat, with keeping an eye towards fiber and protein as well. All of those items are important for you to be the beautiful woman you are. So don't stress too much about counting each and every carb is evul and insidious, lol! Just stay the course, and you will do great!
  • Pineapples
    Options
    Thank you so much Banks, I think i'm going to give that a try along with Jamerz thank you btw....advise...I will increase my cal intake keeping somewhat of a eye on my carbs.... i'll keep you posted to see if it worked....so in what amount of time should I start seeing the results?
  • banks1850
    Options
    Thank you so much Banks, I think i'm going to give that a try along with Jamerz thank you btw....advise...I will increase my cal intake keeping somewhat of a eye on my carbs.... i'll keep you posted to see if it worked....so in what amount of time should I start seeing the results?

minimum 2 to 3 weeks, more likely you should give it a month to allow for your body to adapt to this new intake.
  • Pineapples
    Options
    just a follow up to this thread, I weighted today and lost 2 pounds from last week plus 1.5 from the previous week. What I did differently:

increase my calorie intake to 1300 and did not go over carbs allotment no more than 5 over.
    currentl i've been busy at work which has cut down on my work out time, twice a week this week and twice last week for no more than 1hr sessions.....I'm actually surprised because previously I was working out 90min 5 times a week and i wasn't loosing; so now i increased my cal intake and decrease my workout time and good results?? it's just shoking.

I also just bought a HRM to better track cal burned.. I tend to understimate cal from workouts.....so we'll se what happens now....i'm so excited about using it too... =D

anyway just thought i provide a follow up....thanks so much to everyone for all your advised, tips and support...its great.....!!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    thumbsup8de.gif Good job! See, trust the system MFP has set up and it works!
  • banks1850
    Options
    see... I'm smat

that's S...M....A...T

smat!

:tongue: