i am new....Michelle

Options
Hi I am michelle. I am 28. I weight 240 trying to get back down to 140. My calories a day are 1550 on MFP. I am looking for tips and success stories. Does that fitness goal calorie counter really work? Thank you for reading

Replies

• flashfangirl_102
    flashfangirl_102 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've become a bit obsessive with mine. I've lost 2 pounds this week and because of how helpful it is you start looking at everything you actually eat. For example, the other day I was craving ice cream and had 200 calories left for my day so I hunted out the ice cream in 7/11 that had any under 200 calories. The fudge bar won at 110. My boyfriend just grabbed whatever one he was feeling and it was 340. It is little things like that that make a huge impact. Recording very little thing even shows your nutrition. For example, I noticed I am not getting enough vitamin a so I have been taking vitamin pills to help fill in the gaps of my diet. It's only been a week but I feel more energized and sleep better! It's also very rewarding knowing you can have ice cream every once in a while without killing your calorie counter :)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Hi I am michelle. I am 28. I weight 240 trying to get back down to 140. My calories a day are 1550 on MFP. I am looking for tips and success stories. Does that fitness goal calorie counter really work? Thank you for reading

It works if you want it to work and are honest with yourself. It means weighing all solids and measuring all liquids. I have yo yo over the last 15 years trying to out exercise a poor diet. For the last 4 months I have religiously logged EVERYTHING that has gone through my mouth and made the appropriate choices for me. There are things I said I could not do, eating bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, I now have those occasionally but get my carbs through vegetables and fruit. Weight loss is 90% diet. Calorie counting is a mind thing. If you want it bad enough you will succeed. I found changing one thing a week worked for me, it was not a cold turkey experience, it was a gradual change. I now understand what I can do for the rest of my life. After being on a claorie deficit for 5 months, I am on a 2 week diet break, and it feels odd eating at maintenance but it is something I can do, but in another 10 days I get back to eating at a deficit to shed the remaining 28 lbs.

Good luck on your journey
  • BradD1979
    BradD1979 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    YES IT DOES WORK! I thought at first that it would not work like every other diet i have been on! but this works michelle just have to work hard and stick with it everyday!
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hello, welcome! Yes, it definitely works if you do your part! ????
  • Pruie454
    Pruie454 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle, I'm new too! I have lost weight through Weight Watchers which is basically calorie counting accept you need to pay for it!
    I'm excited to try MFP. I think just like every other way of dieting you have to put the work in and be honest and then it works. Hopefully we can both do great things here :)
  • BradD1979
    BradD1979 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yes it does work! mfp told me to eat 1800 cal a day but i only intake 1500 and so far i have lost 14lbs! and loving it
  • melmanske
    melmanske Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Michelle,

I'm new to MFP as well - I did weight watchers, but the point system didn't really do it for me. Excited to get going - logging the calories has been helpful so far. Also staring Jillian Michael's 30-day shred and Couch 2 5K.

Good luck with your weight loss journey!