Italian Food Choices

Options
Hi all,

I maintained weight this week :( Which I am not too happy at as I had a streak of losing weight consistently since I started, however I was rubbish at tracking so I don't know why I expected to lose weight really?!

Anyway I am going out with friends tonight for the first time in about 3 years as I finally have the confidence. However I want to make the right choices.

What would you suggest to choose from this menu- http://www.bistroitalia.co.uk/PDFs/BISTROITALIAMENU.pdf

I will just be having a main dish, although I am open to having a starter as a main course.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Any of those main course chicken or fish dishes would be my choice.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories before dinner.

Exercise a little more today.

Drink plenty of water before dinner.

Enjoy yourself with your friends!!!!

Coach Herb
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with Topsking, it's your first night out in ages so try and enjoy yoursrld. Do some exercise if you can, but life is too short, you got to live it while you can. I do appreciate though you might want to make more sensible choices - luckily for me I don't like cream so I always go for dishes which have a tomato based sauce or even garlic and white wine or something. I like the sound of the king prawns for starters and the penne con filetto for main...what time do I need to be there, lol! Have fun! x
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    IF I was going here I would choose any lean meat that is baked or grilled. (lamb, steak, tuna, chicken, salmon if they can bake or broil it and not pan fry it, etc) I think there are many good choices on here. Just stay away from pasta. All restaurants give you triple the portion of pasta on your plates and a single portion of plain pasta is at least 200 calories so it adds up. As for any sauces it comes with: ask for the sauce to be on the side. Ask what sides come with the dinners. Most come with a vegie and potatoe if its not on top of a lettuce bed (mixed greens). I ask for double vegies and no pototoe and I specificly request them to not add oil to my grilled vegies. I worked at an itialian restarant just recently. There are ways to eat healthy there without foregoing your diet. You just have to seem a little picky but you are the one paying so as long as you know exactly what to tell them then its not a big deal. I just think servers hate it only when the customer don't know exactly what they want, so it turns into a guessing game. When I am the customer at a restaurant, I am always modifying the menu so I can be able to judge the calories better but I already have a plan before I go. Good for you for making that plan ahead of time. Enjoy your dinner. ANd just eat lightly in the day so you can have a window for wine or appetizers your friends may order that are not in the plan. THat happens sometimes so don't panic. Just expect it. :drinker:

edit: and exercise extra today so you can have an even bigger window of calories you may want to use for later on. Great advice from the above poster.
  • PhantomBambi
    PhantomBambi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys. It is a battle between really wanting to go out with friends but then I worry about if I will make the right choice, off to look at the menu again and see what I like looking at all your help :)
  • mrhonesty
    mrhonesty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Can't go wrong with the POLLO ALLA GRIGLIA CON INSALATA MISTA
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i havent gone to an itialian restaurant all year because i dread the pasta .. i cant eat pasta in moderation because im so addicted to it ,especially at a restaurant who makes their own pasta and has killer marinara and homemade meatballs. one meatball is the size of a softball and thats no lie... my advice is the same as some on here .. exercise a tad more , drink a lot of water and order what you want but eat it in moderation. most restaurants give you enough pasta for two or three servings ..have a grea time!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    POLLO ALLA GRIGLIA CON INSALATA MISTA definitely, if you REALLY want a low calorie meal. Or the tuna.

I'd probably go for something else though :p
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Italian seafood dishes are to DIE for. Hopefully there will be something reasonable with seafood. If not, just make up for it by cutting a little here and there this week and doing an extra workout. When I really want to have a good time, I just cut 100-200 calories from the days surrounding the event. Then I don't even have to worry if I have a heavy meal or opt for that extra glass (or bottle) of wine.

I agree that life is too short to miss out on a good time with friends when the opportunity strikes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I agree that life is too short to miss out on a good time with friends when the opportunity strikes.

It doesn't mean you have to use it as an excuse to overeat when there are healthier choices available. I've actually realized that the lower calorie options are just as tasty as the calorie-dense stuff most of the time... so it's not like I'm depriving myself by making a healthier choice. Except if I've been craving something specific and it's available, then yeah I'll go for it, calories be damned.
  • mrhonesty
    mrhonesty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    POLLO ALLA GRIGLIA CON INSALATA MISTA definitely, if you REALLY want a low calorie meal. Or the tuna.

I'd probably go for something else though :p

Why would you go for something else? :) Personally, I am happy with a Marsala when i can't have Ziti! LOL
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Some of the dishes in the main course have sauces with more cream or butter than others. Ask your server.
    Options that might have relatively few calories:
    Pagello Al Forno -- balsamic sauce
    Pollo Alla Griglia con Insalata Mista -- balsamic sauce
    Have confidence and have fun.