P90

Options
Hey there- is anyone doing the Tony Horton P90 workout? I just started it and so far I like it....however I'm not sure where on the exercise database it fits in so I can log it. Any tips?:smile:

Replies

• tasmat
    tasmat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Funny you should post this. I am starting that today and was wondering the same thing.
  • rykkicasey
    Options
    Maybe under "circuit training, general". Since you are doing a bunch of different exercises one after another.
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You'll have to let me know how you like it. I really do. Its easy to follow but you still feel like you worked out! and Tony is funny, not annoying- LOL :smile:
  • VSgirl2010
    Options
    thanks!
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    Is that the same as P90X? I'm starting mine today too! I just ran 8 miles though (treadmill), so if I die hopefully someone will come scrape me off the floor...I just viewed the first video to make sure it worked (bought it on eBay) and I can already tell I'll want to do it with the sound OFF so I don't feel like I'm in an infommerial!
  • tasmat
    tasmat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just did the first workout! And I agree, it's easy to follow but I still feel like I worked out (especially because I have no upper arm strength, so I REALLY feel that). I was thinking about plugging in the workout at calisthenics or circuit training. Both of them (calisthenics, vigorous) say I burned 217 calories in 30mins. I'm a little skeptical, but I'll take it. =)
  • anastasiaBH
    anastasiaBH Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing P90 Master Series (p90x lite, more cardio and each video is shorter), after completing 3 rounds of the X. For things like Sweat 5-6, Plyo legs, Cardio Intervals, & Core Cardo I use the "Aerobics, high impact". But I'm really working it, soaking with sweat, worn out, etc. For UML, Sculpt 5-6 I use "Circuit Training, General", again, soaking & pooped. I looked at Weight lifting as an option in this database, but it said I'd burn only 150 calories, and I know I'm buring more than that, quickly moving from one set to the next. For the ab ripper, I select sit-ups, vigorous, 10 minutes.

Since it's an estimate, I may dial back the minutes by a few, so today was Plyo Legs, 50 min, maybe I'll put in 45 (allow for warm up & cool down). I'm assuming it gets me close, I'll take it.

Hope this helps.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I'm still confused about if this is the same as the P90X, but I actually just created an entry for it that you can use. I wear a HRM, so I used that for calories. Try searching under "P90X Day 1, Chest & Back, Ab Ripper X" that's what I added to the database :)
  • VSgirl2010
    Options
    The P90 was before the P90X. I didn't know there was a P90X Master.....OMG. I thought I was doing well with the P90, LOL :ohwell:
  • VSgirl2010
    Options
    oopps! read it wrong! there's a P90 Master?? is that easier than P90X? but harder than P90 ?? it's getting confusing, LOL- and where would I get this P90 Master series should I want one?
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, let me see if I can clear up the confusion, lol. First comes Power 90, then comes Power 90 Master Series, then comes P90X, then P90X Plus, then finally P90X One-on-One which will eventually be compiled into P90X: Muscle Confusion 2. Got it? lol As to where to buy, they're all available through your Beachbody coach if you have one or over at beachbody.com. Good luck
  • VSgirl2010
    Options
    THANK YOU Brent for clearing that up! :smile:
  • AndreSF
    AndreSF Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Timing wise, P90 Master Series came out after P90X BTW...
    As far as logging P90 exercises, I would recommend simply adding generic aerobic, as there is no P90/X in the db. What also helps is using heart rate monitor that calculates cals lost and making sure what you enter matches the reading of HR monitor.

Good luck!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Timing wise, P90 Master Series came out after P90X BTW...

Haven't we already had this discussion Andre? lol. I was speaking in terms of intensity :)
  • VSgirl2010
    Options
    So which is more difficult to do? P90X? or P90 Master? :smile:
  • anastasiaBH
    Options
    Honestly, it's a toss up between the X and the MS for me. The P90X dvd's are about an hour each, and focus more intensely on a body part... one is legs & back, one is back & biceps, another is chest, shoulders & triceps, there's core synergistics focusing entirely on the midsection (not abs specifically) and yoga is 93 minutes (ugh), etc. Certainly worked up a great sweat with these. But, I started here, so I spent the first 2-3 weeks by crying at the end of each workout and collapsing into a heap on the floor. Pretty. After several rounds of P90X, and eating per the diet guide (which was too many calories for a 42 yr old female) I plateaued with P90X and felt I needed more cardio to work off the next batch of goo from my midsection.

P90 Master series are only 6 dvds, 40-50 minutes in duration, but each video incorporates a bit more cardio. For example, Sculpt 5-6 uses free weights & your own body weight for resistance, but at a stepped up pace. So shorter duration, but I'm more "out of breath" after Sculpt 5-6 than I was with say, Chest, Shoulders & Triceps.

I just completed P90MS Standard , and I did P90MS Lean over the summer (added ab ripper 200 to these as well)..... From here, the plan is to combine both programs and be able to use these, along with my treadmill, for quite some time....

I hope this helps....! :happy:
  • AndreSF
    AndreSF Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Masters seemed a little "low budget" and boring for me... but you can still get a good workout with it. P90X is pretty well spread, so it takes a lot more to get bored with it.
    For max intensity people do hybrids of P90X and insanity...
  • VSgirl2010
    Options
    Thanks for all the info- very helpful. For me it would be a time factor. I don't have the time to work out for an hour at a time and honestly, don't want to IF I had the time.....I think about 35-40 minutes is about my max for a consistant daily workout. I mean I could do a slightly longer workout maybe one or 2 days a week but thats it. Has anyone tried Tony's 10 minute workouts??? are there a lot of push-ups in those? I HATE push-ups, LOL!
  • VSgirl2010
    Options
    So Anastasia are you saying you like the P90MS better if you had to choose? I think I'd like more cardio better (along with sculpting of course)
  • anastasiaBH
    Options
    I think I do. At least, I would have started with P90MS rather than the X, because now I know there's a progression from one to the other. I can see more definition in my arms, shoulders & back. I sometimes add a 2nd workout, a 3 mile run/walk on a treadmill, 2 or 3 times per week (the benefit (?) of being unemployed....)

Also, I learned alot from reading the beach body msg boards too. They clearly state that P90X isn't a weight loss program per se. Let me be clear, you will lose weight, as did I, because it's more exercise than I've ever done, combined with the change in diet, and it just shocks your system. However, for me (and before anyone jumps on my case, this is just my experience......) over the longer term, I gained weight. I think I mentioned, I'm early 40's, but I'm starting to deal with female issues :frown: . So, the P90X diet is too many calories for me as I'm starting to get older, and my mistake was not calculating any caloric deficit, which from what I've read on the beach body boards, may be necessary for women to lose weight. But EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. Again, just my story, my experience. (By the way, I am not and never will be a petite little thing. I'm 5' 6", 150, size 8, lost 15 since July, and goal of another 5-10 pounds.)

So switching to P90MS was just what I needed. One man's boring is another woman's saving grace. :smile: And you have to find whatever it is that works for you, whatever it is that will get you working out consistently. This is working for me. I may switch back to P90X after another round of MS.... we'll see.....

So here's the response from beachbody msg boards:

The P90 Master series tend to be shorter than the P90X workouts (38-60 min.), lesser intensity than P90X (but still intensive, what you put into each workout will make it challenging or not, there's a low impact modifier & the other often demonstrates more advanced modifications along w/ the standard exercises ) offer much variety (many exercises are from P90X, so they'll be familiar to you & Dreya is a background exerciser in a few of these) and most workouts follow a similar format of rounds, so you can skip rounds or exercises to shorten a workout (chaptered nicely by exercise). I like that the resistance workouts are total body, not isolated muscle groups like P90X, and that there is a bodyweight & weighted resistance workout.