Favorite/Most Effective Ab Exercise?

Options
....If You Had to Choose Just One?

I've lost the weight, my legs, arms, and back are toned. My belly is flat, but not really toned. I don't want a six-pack, I just want a couple effective exercises I can do in 5-10 minutes to get tighter in this area.

Replies

• ChunkLaFunk
    ChunkLaFunk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be planks, regular & side. Your core is fully engaged during these exercises. 2-3 rounds of each and you'll get a good core workout in 5-10 minutes. If you want more work, try rollouts.

There are variations for each to make them more intense. Try youtube for instructional vids if needed.

Stay strong!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    leg raises
    decline situps
    ab wheel rollouts
    dragon flags
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    leg raises
    decline situps
    ab wheel rollouts
    dragon flags
    I'd go with these too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • isthisolivia
    isthisolivia Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Personal preference but planks and plank variations seem the best for me. Side planks, spiderman planks, rolling plank, plank pushups, one arm planks, plank twist, etc... I like to be warmed up with cardio before dropping to some of these and then do two variations of them for 30/45 sec each a couple times with cardio thrown in between sets just to keep my heart rate up. And repeat.
  • fancyface1955
    fancyface1955 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    leg raises
    decline situps
    ab wheel rollouts
    dragon flags
    I'd go with these too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'd love to know what some of theses are- wheel roll-outs and dragon flags. thanks :-)
  • jjulliee
    jjulliee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    My belly is flat, but not really toned. I don't want a six-pack

You have a six-pack. It's hidden under a layer of fat. Ab exercises don't target the fat layer. What else do you for strength training?
  • jjulliee
    Options
    My belly is flat, but not really toned. I don't want a six-pack

You have a six-pack. It's hidden under a layer of fat. Ab exercises don't target the fat layer. What else do you for strength training?

I only do free weights for my arms and shoulders. My main exercise is power-walking. I tried strength training before...I don't really have the time for full body, and I'd have to still keep up with cardio.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I suspected you don't do much strength training. It takes about 15 minutes to do 2 sets of each of the 3 major muscle groups (legs, upper back, and chest). And since those exercises also work your abs, arms, and shoulders, you can eliminate ab, arm & shoulder exercises. You can also reduce the walking, since heavy strength training burns more calories than walking.

A very simple strength program:

1 heavy set of squats
    1 heavy set of lunges or deadlifts
    2 sets of pushups
    2 sets of bodyweight rows, bent-over rows, or chinups.
  • jjulliee
    Options
    I suspected you don't do much strength training. It takes about 15 minutes to do 2 sets of each of the 3 major muscle groups (legs, upper back, and chest). And since those exercises also work your abs, arms, and shoulders, you can eliminate ab, arm & shoulder exercises. You can also reduce the walking, since heavy strength training burns more calories than walking.

A very simple strength program:

1 heavy set of squats
    1 heavy set of lunges or deadlifts
    2 sets of pushups
    2 sets of bodyweight rows, bent-over rows, or chinups.

Thanks again! This is good advice, and I'll try it out. I started walking about two years ago because my dr. wanted me to take meds for cholesterol. Still need to keep an eye on that and heard walking is very good overall. Thank you!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Pallof Press (sorry Jo:p)
    Hanging leg raises