Argh! Fast-food dinner with friends

yirara
yirara Posts: 9,835 Member
Argh! I'm having a happy come together with friends at our local Fuddruckers next week. One of our friends is leaving the country and this is his fave eatery O.o Anyway.. they don't have the leaner meat choices here and everything's covered in grease anyway. Yes, I don't mind eating a bit more for being with my friends, but my stomach is having problems with too greasy food. And when I read that the smallest, simplest burger with bread and nothing else has more calories than 1.5 of my wonderfully tasting selfmade ones with pickled cucumbers, mayo and ketchup then I do wonder what the hell I'm eating there. Any suggestions on how to keep the food relatively grease-free? Just eating a salad won't do for me. It's my main meal and I will be hungry as I'm going there right from the office.

Replies

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    If the meat upsets your stomach, can you eat a large lunch, so you so you won't be so hungry at dinner maybe, and then just get the salad? If you are still hungry after dinner, you can always have something later. I would just go and enjoy the time with your friend and not stress too much over food.
  • yirara
    Thanks a lot,

nah, a salad is not enough for me. My lunch is usually what I need to be saturated. Later on I usually eat a plain yoghurt, which keeps me going until dinner. If I overeat at lunch I will still be hungry in the evening. Yes, I mentioned calories above, but rather because it's such a shame to eat such heavy yucky food instead of something yummy that I enjoy. The issue really is that my stomach acts up with too much of this kind of food. When I go home I'll go straight to bed as it'll be a long evening :)
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    eat before you go and order a tasty beverage when you are there.

there is no law that you have to eat just because everyone else is. :)
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    I was going to suggest you inviting them to your house so you can make them your yummier healthier version of a burger.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    WOLF! .. they sell bison burgers, elk burgers, and boneless skinless chicken sandwiches...

did you even look at the damn menu?

ETA: and turkey burgers

sorry hun.. they changed their menu since 1999
  • torichantel2005
    torichantel2005 Posts: 42 Member
    I'm not exactly sure what you want from us... If they "don't have lean meats" then they don't. It's hard to make healthy food appear on the menu.

I totally get stomach problems, I have them, too. You just gotta make it work. Can you maybe order a burger and only eat half of it? Or try a side dish?

http://www.fuddruckers.com/nutrition/FUDDS13_NutritionalInfo_8-5x11_LR.pdf

They appear to have quite a few non-greasy, fairly low-ish calorie items on their menu.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Sigh :noway:
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Have fun and enjoy your evening. Your friend is going away, just make it a fun night and don't stress so much over 1 meal.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Have fun and enjoy your evening. Your friend is going away, just make it a fun night and don't stress so much over 1 meal.
    ^^^^^ This occasions like this will always pop up in life. to make what you're doing sustainable you need to learn that you can go out and have the occasional meal you don't constantly worry about calorie content. Go out have fun enjoy. Then the next day carry on with your plan. One day wont destroy your progress
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member
    I just looked at the menu and they have grilled chicken burgers, lean buffalo and elk burgers... I'd go with one of them...
  • yirara
    WOLF! .. they sell bison burgers, elk burgers, and boneless skinless chicken sandwiches...

did you even look at the damn menu?

ETA: and turkey burgers

sorry hun.. they changed their menu since 1999

Yea, annoyingly they only have beef burgers and something with pan-fried chicken and pan-fried veggie burgers in this country. Thanks to poor schooling and extremely low salaries, the food in fastfood outlets is even worse than in the US
  • yirara
    You know what? I'll enjoy the evening with my friends ( I guess about 20 will show up) and have a look at their menu again. I'm sure there are a few things that are not on the US menu. And then I'll see if I can organize the next coming together at a place that is great for socializing but also has a choice of food I like and that doesn't give me health problems - which basically is stomach cramps and heartburn, which in return results in irregular heart beat O.o so yes, I do have a reason for not eating too greasy food.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Chicken tenders or ribeye steak sandwich and baked black beans... about 700 calories total. Not bad. Or have a side salad instead of the beans.

I'm pretty amazed that you only save 100 calories by having grilled chicken instead of crispy in their stuff though! Yikes. And yeah, don't bother with the salads, they're even more calories anyway.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    so eat the salad.....then later when you get home make yourself something more filling.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Go for the salad and pair it with a milkshake! Or a side of fries! Or just go home and make some brownies for yourself!
  • rd72578
    rd72578 Posts: 10
    I would eat something before you go and then order the salad. Either that or split an app with the table and then eat your salad as your main meal. If the grease upsets your stomach so much, then perhaps you can take an antacid or keep some Tums handy.
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Just take a nexium and make you have access to a bathroom. Not much else you can do there
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Did you all actually read the nutrition info for the salads? lol.
  • yirara
    Did you all actually read the nutrition info for the salads? lol.

*laugh* I was thinking the same after having a look at the menu :D
    They don't have a salad bar, btw.
  • Tell your brain to stop setting up road blocks. In the past, if I had to, I just ate half the hamburger, or half the individual sized pizza. I also learned that I could live on salad or skip a meal without fainting. I can also eat an extra 1000 calories in a day on Econ a while without gaining. I have learned that I am resilient. It's what you do most of the time that counts, not what you do some of the time.