Scottish girl in the midst of battle!

Options
Hello everyone - I have been on mfp for a while and had a really successful year last year losing over 10st.

I've put pretty much all of that back on in a matter of months, and am back, horrified and ashamed.

I weigh a lot - almost 450lbs but I have been heavier, and I got to the half way point before I fell off last time, at about 310. Hoping to meet a whole load of positive, supportive people who won't criticise me for how bad things have got, but who will motivate me and support me by reminding me of all the things I will be able to do soon!

I work full time and am fairly active regularly, so I don't laze around eating all day, no reason why I have to eat crap any more to make myself feel better, right? :)

Look forward to hearing from everyone! x

Replies

• toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just passed my one year anniversary of starting my weight loss journey on July 8. I'll be one year on MFP in August. I'm fairly close to my goal (started out needing to lose 138#). It won't happen overnite, but with diligence, one day at a time, and with your mind set on your own goal, you can sure do it. Set small goals for yourself and you'll be amazed how suddenly you're there and then you move on to the next one. Do it for yourself, not for anybody else or for something else. Add me if you'd like to. I would be more than happy to support and encourage you however I can. Have a great day. .... AND ... .nobody should judge you for anything you do, or have done or that has happened. Nobody else has walked in your shoes. Your life moves on from today forward. You only get one life, get the most out of it that you can :)
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to loose weight for a year now. I just joined MFP for the first time about a month ago. You will find supportive people here. They may not tell you what you want to hear, but they will help you.
    Read the guide to sexy pants located in getting started.
    Be honest with your food diary and yourself
    Weigh everything that goes in your mouth
    Drink lots of water

You may add me as a friend:flowerforyou:
  • katie01592
    katie01592 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm also a Scottish girl in the midst of battle although. Like you I have lost weight and put it back on again. I go through several weeks where I am focussed and do really well and then other times where I just eat things I know are nutritionally rubbish and make me feel rubbish but I do it anyway. I have noticed that the more protein I eat, the easier it is to eat more healthily - I don't get the urge to rummage around the house looking for chocolate or pick up sweets when in for petrol.
    I'm older than you (I'm a granny of a 2 year old) but work full time and keep pretty active. I go to the gym twice a week and work with a trainer to do HITT and weightlifting which I enjoy. At the moment though, gym stuff is harder due to the weight I have put back on and it seems a waste of me working out if I am not going to watch my eating at the same time.
    Don't feel ashamed of putting weight back on - that happens - I know only too well. I'm sitting at 189 again which is the highest I have been for a while so it is time for a turn around and a run back down the hill again (although it is the only thing that is harder going down than up!) You have lost weight before so you can do it again. I find using MFP really helps me but when I go off the rails I stop using it which is crazy because it is as though I am throwing in the towel. I'm happy to motivate you if you want - I'm sure I will need a wee kick from time to time. Good luck with your battle - it is a battle that needs to be fought if we are to make the most of our lives in a happy, healthy and fit way.
  • becktacular90
    becktacular90 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies :) hopefully positivity will be found here as you've said and I will move on with this.

Feel free to add me :)
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm back for my 2nd attempt. I can't pretend I have as much to loose as you but I'm REALLY MORE than happy to offer help and encouragement wherever I can.Please ad me as a friend if you want, you can do this having done it before. All it takes is a bit of patience and kindness to yourself, if you have a bad day then there's always tomorrow, just as long as the good outweighs the bad then you'll get there in the end.Good Luck.
  • maggie_fly
    maggie_fly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. I started back this week. I know how horrible it feels when you realise that all your hard work has been undone, but try not to be to hard on yourself. You've done it before and you can do it again! I've lost weight and gained before but have never really come close to my goal of a healthy weight. I was on here before and tried to do it alone. All my other attempts at weight loss were the same - I joined Weightwatchers a few times but just weighed and left - never stayed for the meetings. This time I'm trying to get into the whole community aspect of the site and so far it has been great. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It's a clichè, but it's true: if I could do it, you can too! Take photos & measurements. They'll show you your progress when the scale's being a liar liar who lies. (Weight loss is not linear.)

Eat "good" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

The Sexypants post should be required reading for all MFPers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • jamsieboi
    jamsieboi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey Becktacular,

I am Scottish living down south these days, don't be too hard on yourself about putting the weight back on just know that you have lost before and you will lose it again. I have a fair bit of weight to lose but its all about getting started (granted its easier that I don't have anywhere that serves a well fired roll and sausage close to me lol)

Feel free to add me and you can share my pain.

Good Luck :)
  • becktacular90
    becktacular90 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks all to your replies once again - I will be doing a combination of NHS monitored fasting on occasion and maintanance after small chunks, to try and make the process stick this time. Last time I did about 24 weeks of VLCD with no regulation and no re-feed process. Not the best.

Glad those of you who have added me have already - anyone else, please send me a message or add away! :)