Calorie Intake - What is this?

Options
http://tinypic.com/r/347ebgz/8

Does this mean my average calorie expenditure at the level I entered (sedentary, Light, Medium, Active - Whatever they were)
or is it the calories my body uses if I was to just lay in bed (basically just function/live) ?

Anyone know?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://tinypic.com/r/347ebgz/8

Does this mean my average calorie expenditure at the level I entered (sedentary, Light, Medium, Active - Whatever they were)
    or is it the calories my body uses if I was to just lay in bed (basically just function/live) ?

Anyone know?

The former, at your stated activity you'll use 1750 calories a day (give or take 10%). Exercise logged is on top of this.
  • Jamiebecker24
    Options
    Thank you for clearing this up !!
  • twinskins
    twinskins Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So if I did absolutely NO exercise and list my activity level as sedentary (I work in an office) and stay under my calories allotted, I will lose 1.5 lbs per week (that's what I have set as my goal)? Or does it calculate the # of workouts I "planned" to do during the week. Even though it can't possibly know what exercise, intensity, or # of minutes, unless I log in the workout. Thanks! :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    So if I did absolutely NO exercise and list my activity level as sedentary (I work in an office) and stay under my calories allotted, I will lose 1.5 lbs per week (that's what I have set as my goal)? Or does it calculate the # of workouts I "planned" to do during the week. Even though it can't possibly know what exercise, intensity, or # of minutes, unless I log in the workout. Thanks! :)

MFP uses a method called NEAT. NEAT = Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis
    It bases your calorie goal off of your activity level without exercise included. This is so you can lose weight without working out. Although I wouldn't recommend it. Working out has tons of health benefits. When you do workout, you should log it here on MFP and eat approx 50-75% of the calories back (only 50-75% since MFP and machines tend to overestimate calorie burns for the majority of people).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So if I did absolutely NO exercise and list my activity level as sedentary (I work in an office) and stay under my calories allotted, I will lose 1.5 lbs per week (that's what I have set as my goal)? Or does it calculate the # of workouts I "planned" to do during the week.

Goal setting does not use your exercise goals to influence calories. That's a separate target for you to use for how many sessions you do. Only the calories logged as exercise influence the calories (more ex = more food, to maintain original deficit).
  • twinskins
    twinskins Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks so much! I do exercise, but like you said, I really think MFP overestimates the calories burned. What I'm going to do is halve whatever value they give me and just log that. Then I know that I'm saving a certain # of calories and not eating them back. :)