Eating after dinner

Options
I will do great all day including dinner but at 8 pm I crave sweets especially chocolate. Any suggestions? Exercising before dinner.

Replies

• epadmeister
    epadmeister Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I actually did that A LOT before I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes. I loved post - dinner / late night snacking.
    I just make sure I don't eat anything after 8pm :) I'm always told to do that before a fasting blood test so I just do it all the time! :P

Also, what kinds of foods do you like snacking on?
  • ndrn1959
    ndrn1959 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Chocolate. Skinny cow ice cream recently. I am down 22 lbs in 3 1/2 months so Im doing ok, just want to step it up a little. 1200 calories a day, exercising.
  • fhunter91
    fhunter91 Posts: 13
    Options
    Every now and then I feel for something sweet after I eat too so I try to keep on hand something that I like but can't eat that much of.. For example, dark chocolate covered ginger or dark chocolate with chili - it's sweet enough to satisfy my craving but not sugary enough for me to want more of it. So maybe give either of those a try? Congrats on your weightloss so far! :)
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead, save calories, prelog your chocolate snack. As long as it fits into your day go ahead and have a snack...
  • maburrell92
    Options
    I have an Herbalife cookies n cream protein shake with milk and maybe some frozen mango and I blend it in my Magic Bullet. This is usually after my workout. My typical night is dinner > workout > post-workout shake. It makes me feel like I'm having dessert! I just make sure it fits in my calorie limit for the day and have enough time where I don't immediately go to sleep afterwards.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    As long as it's within your calories, time of intake does not matter.

However if those late snacks are pushing you over, try to eat a larger and later dinner. I eat a large dinner around 7-8pm probably at least 600 calories and sometimes over 1000.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i schedule my calories each day so that before bed every night i can have a 200 calorie treat. i usually opt for cereal and milk with xylitol, but have had other things, usually sweets.
  • Lola_West
    Lola_West Posts: 2
    Options
    I always get the late night munchies too, but I try and keep cucumber & carrot slices ready in the fridge! i also freeze natural yogurt with fruit
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    If it's within your calorie intake, don't stress it.

I lost 45lb whilst eating ice cream after dinner on a regular basis. I've kept it off for six months so far (other than deliberately gaining a few lbs because I wanted to get stronger).
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of hot chocolate with marshmallows every night before bed. 150-200 calories and keeps me on track (and sane).
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have just started my own challenge 4 days ago, to complete at least 21 days, because I was eating empty cals just because I was bored or whatever, and it became a bad habit, I'm not doing it because I think I'll gain weight 'cause is late, is because I allow myself to eat some protein or a fruit if I'm really hungry and guess what? I rather not eat!!! so is not real hunger, is very hard, specially on my mind but I'm stronger and is time to reach my "ideal" weight, NO more sabotage ;)
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have dessert every night. I try to keep it under 150 calories, and I try to keep it relatively healthy. The junkiest stuff I'll eat is ice cream, and even then it's just one serving.

You could always allocate some calories for that.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Well I'm back to report that I completed my first cycle of 21 days of "mindless snacking" at night and finally, after a very looooong "plateau" lost some weight and it wasn't too hard, only at the beginning, bad habits are hard to break but not impossible :) anyways I just started a 2nd cycle and this time I 'm sure that I'll reach (finally) my "ideal" goal weight!!!
  • Hibbers903
    Options
    This was something I would struggle with too. I'd often go to bed hungry and have trouble sleeping. I then discovered Optimum Nutrition Casein protein. It is designed to have about half an hour before bed and works overnight releasing protein to enable your body to 'repair'. I mix with 250mls unsweetened almond milk and leave on the fridge for an hour or so. It thickens to form a kind of mouse. The chocolate flavour is the dogs bollocks - tastes amazing!!! I bloody love it!

Or I just snack on raw carrots, green beans or other veg. Alright, may not be overly appealing but you can eat that kind of thing to your hearts content.
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The best thing for me is putting a little bit of cocoa powder and a tsp of honey into 1/2 a cup of plain, full fat yogurt. That's what I eat when I want a post-dinner snack or dessert. It satisfies the craving, kinda makes me think I'm eating chocolate, and full-fat yogurt makes you full.