My first 8k tonight

Options
My question is, how soon before it do I eat? I don't want to feel full but I also don't want to get hungry in the middle of it either. I'm use to doing morning 5ks and I just eat a bowl of cereal and go. This one doesn't start until 10:00 pm so I'm a little lost as to what to do.

Replies

• mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I run as well and I've read about 2-2.5 hours before is good, not too soon before or it could cause stitch/side pains. Some carbs are usually good vs protein and fats, so perhaps a sandwich or fruit and muesli bars?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different, but for a non-morning race, I give at least 1-1.5hrs of no eating/drinking before a run.
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I eat 1-1.5 hours before my morning runs. But it might be a matter of personal preference. Good luck with your race! :flowerforyou:
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I run as well and I've read about 2-2.5 hours before is good, not too soon before or it could cause stitch/side pains. Some carbs are usually good vs protein and fats, so perhaps a sandwich or fruit and muesli bars?

This works for me, too. Though it's usually in conjunction with a half or full marathon. My typical pre-race meal is a two egg omelet with cheese. But I've also done a protein bar with a protein shake followed up with a quart or two of water to hydrate.
  • jacki1976
    jacki1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and well wishes:smile: . I'm a little nervous but excited because it's a pretty popular race around here.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    My question is, how soon before it do I eat? I don't want to feel full but I also don't want to get hungry in the middle of it either. I'm use to doing morning 5ks and I just eat a bowl of cereal and go. This one doesn't start until 10:00 pm so I'm a little lost as to what to do.

Yeah, that late race would be different than the regular 5k circuit of mostly AM races.

I would eat a somewhat normal breakfast and a later\, bigger lunch. Then 2-3 hours before the race have something you maybe normally eat.

I know you said cereal...so why not that?
  • jacki1976
    jacki1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I could eat cereal for every meal so that's definitely a possibility.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I could eat cereal for every meal so that's definitely a possibility.
    So could i.

I ran into that issue when we used to have a local 7K in the evening and a resolution run on NYE at like 1140pm.

I just make sure to eat much of my food earlier in the day and something for energy 2 hours before. I always would have a PB and honey sandwich before my races.