Should I stay vegan?

Options
I became vegan about 4-5 months ago as I heard it was the best for our health. However, lately I've been wondering if I would still be just as healthy eating a little bit of meat, dairy, and eggs as long as I keep the portions controlled. I've been doing research on the topic, but it seems that no one really has a definite answer as to whether animal products are harmful or not. Of course if someone eats Big Macs and milkshakes every day they'll be at a higher risk of diseases and will be overall less healthy, but would including things like chicken or fish with my vegetables be harmful to my health. I don't really have any ethical issues with it, I'm mostly worried about my own health and how it would effect my body. It hasn't seemed to drastically affect my health in any way, and really only causes me inconvenience. I've read about a lot of studies that say that a vegan diet is optimal for our health, as well as many that say meat can be beneficial if it is part of a balanced diet. I still plan to eat lots of fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, etc. as I enjoy them, and I won't be eating excessive amounts of animal products. I don't have any doubts that a vegan diet can be healthy if it is planned properly, but if I can still be just as healthy eating small amounts of meat I think I would rather do that. I don't find it hard to give up animal products if I have to, and will do it if it is necessary for my health, but it seems like many people are still perfectly healthy eating a non-vegan diet as well. So should I continue to be vegan for my health, or would it be okay to add a little bit of meat or dairy back into my diet? I would greatly appreciate any information on the subject, thanks!

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The people who go vegan do it not for health but because of strong views regarding animal rights/animal cruelty. If these weren't your reasons for going vegan, then you're probably taking a much more extreme approach to dieting than you need to be, and you probably won't be able to maintain it indefinitely. Your idea to add a little bit of meat and dairy back into your diet is totally reasonable, just understand that when you reintroduce things into your diet that you cut out a long time ago, there will be digestive issues (some stomach discomfort, loose stool, irregular bowel movements). These don't last very long though as you adapt.
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Like ContingencyPlan says. Frankly the issue is not the meat itself. Its the conditions the animals are raised in, the foods they're given, the drugs, hormones, the pesticides and fertilisers that are put into the soils where the animals graze etc etc.

I'm sure that if Betty the Cow was raised on some beautiful hillside in the mountains, then eating meat wouldnt cause any health risks other than the saturated fat. The reality is far from it, unfortunately.

There is no dietary need to eat anything that has a face or a mother, despite all the propaganda saying the contrary.
  • jpt123
    jpt123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're really struggling, you can try a more flexitarian approach. Animal rights aside, factory farming is not sustainable for the environment. Any animal product we can give up helps, whether it's for one meal, 21 meals or even not buying products made with animal skin.
  • jennifermariemeap
    Options
    Hi! If you're concerned about the health risks involved with meat, perhaps try getting grass fed beef or eating locally raised meat where you can actually go see the conditions. I will say if you do choose to add meat and dairy back into your diet, it is best to do so slowly! My friend recently switched from the vegan lifestyle, kicked it off with a Quarter Pounder, and got sick. After a gradual re-introduction she was fine though :) Also, this website's http://www.mamaandbabylove.com/ main focus is "real" food. It gives great meat guide lines and can direct you to other sources as well. Good luck!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Like ContingencyPlan says. Frankly the issue is not the meat itself. Its the conditions the animals are raised in, the foods they're given, the drugs, hormones, the pesticides and fertilisers that are put into the soils where the animals graze etc etc.

And some folks do it for environmental reasons. There are also some cultures who have eschewed meat products for hundreds of years for religious reasons. Yes, you can survive quite handily on a vegan diet but it takes more care and planning than being an omnivore.

I've found some good vegetarian cooking inspiration from looking up Jain recipes. The Jains are strict vegetarians and also avoid onions and garlic which I can't eat. Just google "Jain recipes" and you'll find lots of sites with good recipes.

That being said, hubby and I are omnivores. We eat it all -- while going vegetarian some days to help our health and the planet.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You don't go vegan for health reasons, you do it for ethical reasons.

Nutritionally, you'll find it much easier to get your macros from a wider available selection of foods.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Veganism is not inherently healthier than an omnivore diet. In fact it's very common for vegan diets to be one of the LESS healthy diets, since so many vegans choose to use processed food substitutes, like vegan cheese etc which is full of all sorts of who-knows what in an attempt to make it as cheese-like as possible. :noway: Gross.

If you don't have any moral conflict eating animal products, there is NO health reason whatsoever why you should avoid meat, eggs, milk, fish, etc. Assuming you don't have any allergies to those foods, obviously.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    We evolved on an omnivorous diet. That said we didn't eat that much meat, it was only about 20% of our diet. So yes, add a bit of meat back into yours. Most Americans however tend to get more than 50% of their calories from meat which is far more than our ancestors ever ate.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I don't think that vegan is the healthiest way.
    The human body is composed to eat a big variety of food.

All vegans I know do it for ethical reasons. None of them for health reasons only.
    I do believe that many people eat too much meat and not enough fruit and veg.

Try vegetarian instead. If you don't want to eat meat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The people who go vegan do it not for health but because of strong views regarding animal rights/animal cruelty. If these weren't your reasons for going vegan, then you're probably taking a much more extreme approach to dieting than you need to be, and you probably won't be able to maintain it indefinitely. Your idea to add a little bit of meat and dairy back into your diet is totally reasonable, just understand that when you reintroduce things into your diet that you cut out a long time ago, there will be digestive issues (some stomach discomfort, loose stool, irregular bowel movements). These don't last very long though as you adapt.

True story.

Vegan as a lot more to do with moral and ethical reasons than "dietary" health reasons.
  • macho_Tony
    Options
    Lots of generalizations here. More and more people (some famous) have gone vegan (or plant-based) to reverse heart disease.

Do some vegans eat junk vegan food? Yes.

Do most omnivores eat junk food? Hell yes. Hence, really fat people in America.

Ultimately do what feels right for you. My suggestion is eat as MUCH fruits and vegetables as you can. Whatever else you want to eat is up to you, don't complicate things.
  • katieai
    katieai Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Being vegan is thousand times more difficult than being vegetarian. Eggs and milk are in everything, I feel like. You may find that if you add the dairy back into your diet (gradually) you may be able to more easily fill your nutrient needs and not feel like your throwing your ethical ideals out the window (if that's a concern). If you can afford organic, local dairy - even better!
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    No
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan (ethical reasons) and I don't see veganism as an inherently healthier diet. There is a wide variety of vegan diets and a wide variety of non-vegan diets, all of them can range from absolutely awful to very good for you. Meat and dairy won't damage you if you don't eat too much of them. I believe you should follow a healthy diet that is also sustainable to you.

Of course I'm happy with any person who stops consuming those products - but not because of misguided information. Veganism IS more difficult to maintain, especially for social and cultural reasons. I believe you should think about this, do some reading or maybe see a nutritionist, and make a more informed choice... And try to avoid crazy people on the web. :flowerforyou:

Edit: I should point out, though, that there's no problem with protein in the vegan diet. It's very easy to get enough protein, and I often go over my daily recommended amount without even trying. The main problem is vitamin B-12.
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am vegan more for health reasons, although I agree it is a stronger moral choice as well. Eating in moderation in our modern world means eating pretty light for the average person.

Agrarian people or workers in the home or in other trades 100 years ago worked physically hard every day. We don't have to work that hard all day long every day for the most part, at least those of us in the world with access to MFP don't.

To me, being a vegan hasn't been hard to manage. I eat at home and take a lunch when I need to. It is part of my self care and I'm worth the work. I also enjoy cooking well for myself. Oh, and there are good vegan options at the grocery store now. Trader Joes has a pretty nice selection. I keep it simple so it is not a problem for me.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I predict you will never be able to stick with being vegan if you are doing it for other than ethical reasons. I predict you will quit veganism soon.