Why Am I Gaining Weight!?

Options
I'm 5,4 132 lbs and trying to lose 6 or more kg so around 12 lbs, and have been dieting for a week. In the past, I have been able to lose weight very quickly with no exercise but I had to stop after a week or so for school. This summer I am planning to lose all the weight, but a week and the scales tell me I have GAINED 3 POUNDS! The food log tells me I'm eating less than 1000 kcal a day but I'd round it up to less than 1200 and I have been running for 25 mins a day. I'm really confused and disheartened because I've only ever heard of plateaus after a steady weight loss not immediately.
I have no idea about whats going on, has this ever happened to anyone? I'm now ill, 3 pounds heavier and really upset about losing/gaining weight, can anyone offer advice?

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to chill out. A 3lb weight fluctuation is not a big deal and it's only been a week. Try to eat at least 1200 kcal daily, drink lots of water/fluids and relax.
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You need to make a lot of research on healthy way of losing fat (not weight!)
    It's just too much mistakes in what u do for a single post. Go to bodybuilder website and read sticky Fat Lose
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Weigh ALL your solids-measure all your caloric liquids!
    Eat at least 1200 calories-more if you exercise.
    If you just started exercising it could be water retention.
    You should only be aiming to lose 1/2 pound per week at your weight.

ETA-log everything you eat and open up your diary for more specific help.
  • chelseasans
    chelseasans Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think I may be familiar with whats happening here....

I know this is not what you want to hear but you are eating WAYYY too few calories. Your not even eating enough calories for your body to function doing absolutely no activity and from what you write here, you are running daily. Given your stats, your body would need about 1400 calories a day if you were to just lay on the couch all day. What happens when your organs do not get the calories they need is they start to hold on to everything in a way that it wouldn't have before. Please up your calorie intake with healthy sources or you will end up with big problems down the road.

In addition to this, if you have just started running then your muscles are changing. Every time you work your muscle you create tiny tears. In order for the muscle to repair itself these tears fill with water. Therefore, much if not all of your weight gain is equated to water weight. Once your body gets used to running, this water weight will likely disappear. I have been a competitive runner for years and i still find that the morning after a rest day, i wake up at least a pound lighter.