HELP! Low carb/low cal but no weight loss

Options
Hi everyone,

I can not believe that after three months of my low-no carbing, cutting out sugar, fried food, fast food, and eating way below my recommended caloric intake; usually under 500; I went to the doctor and had gained 10 pounds! I was in shock and wanted to scream. I definitely came home and cried. What to do?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining weight, then you're eating more than you burn. Get a digital food scale and weigh everything you eat—even packaged foods.

The Sexypants post should be required reading: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    under 500 cals?
  • chriscrosse
    chriscrosse Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you open up your food diary, others can see where you might make modifications to what you are doing already. I was eating low cal(under 1000) and exercising daily and saw no loss and other people gave me some very good recommendations.

I know losing weight and looking better are important to many of us but how do you feel forgoing the junk? Are you feeling better? Sleeping better? Skin? Are your clothes fitting better? Because those are all good things too.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    No diary, no help
  • 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Eat more!!! It sounds like you are starving yourself and your body is holding on to everything it can because of it.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Eat more!!! It sounds like you are starving yourself and your body is holding on to everything it can because of it.
    Absolutely not!
    If OP was truly eating 500 calories, she would have most definitely lost weight and in addition gotten sick due to the low intake!
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    facepalm
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

^^^NO!^^^

No one needs to see your diary to tell you if you have gained weight then you are eating in a surplus. If you were truly in a deficit you would be losing weight. Either you are eating more than you think, burning less than you think or a combination of the two, you just have to figure out which one, but I can assure you it isn't because your body is "holding on to everything it can" because you're starving it. Sorry it doesn't work that way...
  • 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options

^^^NO!^^^

No one needs to see your diary to tell you if you have gained weight then you are eating in a surplus. If you were truly in a deficit you would be losing weight. Either you are eating more than you think, burning less than you think or a combination of the two, you just have to figure out which one, but I can assure you it isn't because your body is "holding on to everything it can" because you're starving it. Sorry it doesn't work that way...

Water weight.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I don't know about a 10 lb gain when you were expecting a loss, but I do sympathize with you about doctor's visit. It's the middle of the day for me usually, probably some wonky time in the month and the scale always seems to be 5 lbs more than the shiny number that I somehow at the back of my mind "want" them to see :ohwell: Who cares so long as I know I'm doing right by my body, right? But you know how it is. Anyway, I weigh myself at home as often as I want but under the same controlled circumstances. First thing in the morning after bathroom, wearing as few things as possible. This minimizes possible fluctuations and makes me happier anyway. Even then body weight does fluctuate so beware

That said if you go to the bottom of this link you'll find where to make your diary public so people can comment specifically on your logging:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Also read these for info on logging accurately:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1296011-calorie-counting-101

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Weight loss has to do with eating less calories than your body burns. Whichever style you decide to use and if you decide to cut out items you love has only to do with preference. The total calories consumed is what matters
  • Syl72659
    Syl72659 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I see many can't believe only 500 calories but I can't eat just because it's lunch or dinner time so if I'm not hungry I don't eat which is often for one or two days. I'm going in to try and post my diary. Thanks guys...even for the "facepalm" from Supertact. lol As 17JayR said, I have had some major swelling in my feet and legs. Prescribed water pills.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Scroll to the bottom and set it to public, then save changes.
  • Syl72659
    Options
    Thank you!:smile:
  • Syl72659
    Options
    Thank you. :smile: I didn't have so much swelling that I was put on water pills, but never thought I could be holding that much water weight. My feet were huge. Maybe I should wait to let the pills do their work and next appointment before posting again. I just don't trust the home scales. I imagine the ones that are more accurate also cost a lot more.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I just don't trust the home scales. I imagine the ones that are more accurate also cost a lot more.
    No two scales will ever weigh the same. The idea is to weigh yourself once a week at the same time of day, under the same conditions (clothes, food, water, urine & stool), then look for a downward trend.

If your weight trends up, you're eating too much. If your weight stays the same, you're eating your maintenance calories (aka TDEE, or total daily energy expenditure). If your weight trends down, then you're eating less than you're burning.

Easy peasy.
  • Syl72659
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone's feedback. However, I forgot to mention that my Mom passed away recently. For that, I'm wondering if the weight gain could be stress related? That along with the edema (swelling) in my feet and legs. I'm now downloading some good upbeat music and inspirational sermons from Dr. Charles Stanley and Joyce Meyers to start back walking with. I got rid of my scale because I was getting on it everyday :explode: so now I may weigh-in every two week. Wish me luck :wink:
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    You gain weight by eating more than you burn. Are you trying to soothe your grief with food?
  • Syl72659
    Options
    No, I already had a poor appetite and eating even less now. The only things that I know has changed is the swelling in my feet/legs and that I don't seem to have the energy to get out and walk like I used to.
  • MrCrunchwrap
    Options
    I don't really see any scenario in which it's healthy to not eat for days at a time, or consume less than 500 calories in a day. Is this diet based on a doctor's advice or anything like that?
  • Flyingfree83
    Flyingfree83 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When you don't eat enough calories for your body to keep running it goes into starvation mode. Stores everything you eat as fat because it doesn't know when it's going to eat again. Find out your basal metabolic rate. And don't eat beyond that, exercise at least 3/4 Times a week and you should see some loss. Good luck!!