Tired of being fat. Need to lose 100 lbs.

Options
I'm 32.
I weighed around 215 when I graduated high school.
After 2 years of college, I weighed around 300 and have been there +/- 10 lbs ever since.

I have gone on diets before, usually losing only 10 lbs but sometimes 20 lbs, always to gain it back and sometimes more than I started.

Until about a year ago I felt good enough that I could convince myself I wasn't THAT unhealthy.

Then everything started going downhill.

I got extremely fatigued. Chronically. Eventually I felt some days like I could barely move. And I didn't much except to get back and forth to my sit down job.

I talked to the doctor. He said maybe I was so tired from the antidepressant I was taking. He suggested I switch to Prozac.

Cue a 2 month long crash into major depression that drove me to massive panic attacks and feeling suicidal. Trip to the ER. Taken off Prozac.

Within the month after my recovery from this time period, I was diagnosed by a sleep doctor with severe sleep apnea. Apnea index of over 50, blood oxygen getting down to 80% at night.

So I have been wearing a CPAP with mask for about 4 or 5 months.

I feel much better because of getting adequate restful sleep. However, I am still fat and I am sick of it. I still am in no physical shape and even everyday activities have gotten more difficult than they should be.

I'm sick of getting up from bed at night to go to the bathroom and feeling out of breath when I get back in bed!

I decided I want to lose 100 lbs. My stretch goal is to weigh 200 lbs.

I bought a road bike from a local bike shop. I have been riding 30-40 minutes on average every day for 3 weeks.

I bought a Withings wireless scale so it will track my weight. I bought a wearable activity tracker. Wow, am I sedentary, averaging about 4000 steps per day.

I stopped eating bread, pizza, pasta, cookies, and cake. And drinking soda.

I dropped my caloric intake to around 1500-1800 calories per day.

I figured out I really don't know how to eat healthfully. I come from a family of unhealthy cookers and eaters.

I bought some books to try to learn more about what you should eat.

I am still figuring this out! But I have lost around 15 lbs in 3 weeks.

I want to say hello to the MFP community, because I have been using the app and it has made a huge difference in my eating habits and keeping me on track for this short time.

Replies

• CarlaNB
    CarlaNB Posts: 38
    Options
    Hello!
    You can do this! Use this site to its' full advantage! My advice is to love yourself for who you are, weigh everything, track honestly, even if you have a binge, because knowing is half the battle!
    Seems you are on the right track already!! Keep up the good work!!
    Also, get friends that will encourage you in the right ways. For instance, I have a friend who gave me a little encouragement to drink more water today, and I'm a'guzzlin'!!
    Good luck to you!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Hi! It sounds like you are on your way! I love to ride my bike too. A great mood booster and fun exercise. My only piece of advice is to give it time. As you lose more weight, your loss will slow. You can add more exercise to compensate for a little while, but understanding that it is a process. Believing in the process and that it will work without getting discouraged, or impatience is the key to long and sustained weight loss. It took me two years to lose 60 pounds, but I exercised the whole time to maintain my strength and gain lean muscle mass instead of losing muscle. Unfortunately, I gained some of it back this winter, but that's OK. Most of my skinny friends gained weight this winter too, so I am not beating myself up about it, I am just working on it. You CAN do this!
  • Fit2BeMe2014
    Fit2BeMe2014 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds so similar to mine. I need to lose 100+ pounds myself. MFP has helped me. I'm still in my journey and I have my falls and victories. You sound like you are on the right track and are going to beat this. You can make it and I know you can. Add me if you would like more support and accountability. :)
  • tx_mom72
    tx_mom72 Posts: 96
    Options
    Just stick with it. Don't let one bad choice during the day dictate how the rest of the day goes. Start out 1 meal at a time, then one day at a time, etc. I've been logging just shy of a year & it's been amazing! Make friends! Their support will be phenomenal! You welcome to send me a friend request. I don't do negative commenting but be forewarned....I sometimes let my twisted sense of humor lose! lol :flowerforyou:
  • hyperchase
    hyperchase Posts: 13
    Options
    You are on the right track. What strikes me is:

"I stopped eating bread, pizza, pasta, cookies, and cake. And drinking soda. "

Which is great, those are all very high carb foods that will make you fat when you combine them with high fat foods. Fat on its own is not unhealthy, but insulin blocks fat synthesis and will cause your body to store fat right away. If I may make a sugestion to try a Low Carb, High Fat diet: adjust your nutrition goals on the site to get about 60% of your calories from fat, 30% from Protein and 15% from carbs. Ignore fiber when counting the carbs in something, so something that has 20 carbs in it but 12g of fiber is only 8 real carbs that your body will use. But you cannot use fiber in one food to cancel out sugar/carbs in another, it has to be from the gross carb count from the same food.

Any daily calorie goal that works out to between 50-90 grams of carbs per day and you will see results. I've been eating less than 20 grams of carbs per day for 6 months, and not only have I already lost already 57 pounds (I started using MFP only recently), I have more energy, have more willpower with regards to food, and overall my health has done a complete 180 and I am insanely healthy (according to my doctor).

Anybody who says that carbs are essential are completely misinformed. I eat insanely low carb and I don't plan on stopping for a very long time. My cholesterol is fine, and I even do high intensity interval training now which many carbers told me wouldn't be possible but I am doing it without any issues.

Search the internet for "ketogenic diets" or just "low carb diets" in general and you will find more than enough information. reddit.com/r/keto is also another great community of low carbers that are very supportive and knowledgable.

If you don't know what to eat, feel free to peruse my food logs and see how I maintain a very strict low-carb ketogenic lifestyle. All it takes is a bit of discipline and you get the hang of it in no time, it is a very easy lifestyle to maintain because I never feel extremely hungry. Some days, when I work out too much I need to FORCE MYSELF to eat because, personally, I have to hit my net calories so I don't **** up my metabolism -- but that shouldn't be a problem for a sedentary person. I lost my first 50 pounds being totally sedentary -- I'm a huge PC gamer and a computer programmer, believe me, I sit on my *kitten* all damn day.

Don't be afraid to PM me if you need advice or encouragement.
  • a941guy
    a941guy Posts: 31
    Options
    Welcome to the 100lb club! It's unfortunate that there are so many of us out there but I think if we are able to keep each other motivated and having positive attitudes, we can all help one another get through our journey.

I've tried a variety of diets in the past. The last one worked really well, was a high fiber, high protein diet. Aside from the side effects of the high fiber (lotta gas!), I enjoyed it. I found excuses and weak reasons to not maintain it and fell off the wagon quickly as I've done so many times in the past.

This is my first round with MFP. I've read a lot of success stories and some stories that were less than successful. It's truly a mind over matter battle. We all have a choice to make when it comes to diet and exercise and some days making the right choice and not giving in will be easier than others.

I think it's awesome you were able to drop the carbs. I'm a huge carb junky and man, it's tough. Good luck in achieving your goal. It's not easy but it sounds like you're off to a great start!
  • atreides42
    atreides42 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the friendly comments.

What struck me today is - "hey, I don't have to lose 100 lbs anymore." Since I have lost 20 lbs already, now I only have to lose 80 lbs to meet my "goal". I have a stretch goal as well, but today I am not thinking about that. :happy:
  • bigmanslims
    Options
    Its a process that you can only take day by today. Sounds like you are well on your way!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track. What strikes me is:

"I stopped eating bread, pizza, pasta, cookies, and cake. And drinking soda. "

Which is great, those are all very high carb foods that will make you fat when you combine them with high fat foods. Fat on its own is not unhealthy, but insulin blocks fat synthesis and will cause your body to store fat right away. If I may make a sugestion to try a Low Carb, High Fat diet: adjust your nutrition goals on the site to get about 60% of your calories from fat, 30% from Protein and 15% from carbs. Ignore fiber when counting the carbs in something, so something that has 20 carbs in it but 12g of fiber is only 8 real carbs that your body will use. But you cannot use fiber in one food to cancel out sugar/carbs in another, it has to be from the gross carb count from the same food.

Any daily calorie goal that works out to between 50-90 grams of carbs per day and you will see results. I've been eating less than 20 grams of carbs per day for 6 months, and not only have I already lost already 57 pounds (I started using MFP only recently), I have more energy, have more willpower with regards to food, and overall my health has done a complete 180 and I am insanely healthy (according to my doctor).

Anybody who says that carbs are essential are completely misinformed. I eat insanely low carb and I don't plan on stopping for a very long time. My cholesterol is fine, and I even do high intensity interval training now which many carbers told me wouldn't be possible but I am doing it without any issues.

Search the internet for "ketogenic diets" or just "low carb diets" in general and you will find more than enough information. reddit.com/r/keto is also another great community of low carbers that are very supportive and knowledgable.

If you don't know what to eat, feel free to peruse my food logs and see how I maintain a very strict low-carb ketogenic lifestyle. All it takes is a bit of discipline and you get the hang of it in no time, it is a very easy lifestyle to maintain because I never feel extremely hungry. Some days, when I work out too much I need to FORCE MYSELF to eat because, personally, I have to hit my net calories so I don't **** up my metabolism -- but that shouldn't be a problem for a sedentary person. I lost my first 50 pounds being totally sedentary -- I'm a huge PC gamer and a computer programmer, believe me, I sit on my *kitten* all damn day.

Don't be afraid to PM me if you need advice or encouragement.

Ketogenic and low-carb diets are not necessary for weight loss.

ETA: Carbs actually are essential.
  • healthyNEWday4me
    Options
    Hi, you are well on your way and it sounds like you are doing awesome. Now all you need to do is keep on this journey and don't stop. It helps me to make small short-term goals as the number of pounds is much more doable in my head. I have 70 pounds to lose and have set seven 10-pound goal blocks. Keep up the good work! I'll see you at the finish line!
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Hi! nice to meet you :) I have about 100 left to lose so we are at about the same point :) This is a great site filled with a lot of good info :) Make sure you start weighing and logging your food. That is the most important things first :) It sounds like you already have gotten off to a great start. :). I am sure you will do great :) Best of luck on your journey :)
  • BeardedYoung
    BeardedYoung Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I hope you are having good luck with the mask. I have very severe sleep apnea and its taken me a long time to even get any sleep with the mask. Sleep is my second issue next to eating. I only get 3-4 solid hours of CPAP time a night the rest is napping and such. NOT GOOD! I have been better since getting nose surgery to correct a deviated septum but still feel like a narcoleptic during the day and a insomniac at night. My goal is to lose just over 100lbs and I just started. You sound well on your way, best of luck to ya!
  • atreides42
    Options
    I hope you are having good luck with the mask. I have very severe sleep apnea and its taken me a long time to even get any sleep with the mask. Sleep is my second issue next to eating. I only get 3-4 solid hours of CPAP time a night the rest is napping and such. NOT GOOD! I have been better since getting nose surgery to correct a deviated septum but still feel like a narcoleptic during the day and a insomniac at night. My goal is to lose just over 100lbs and I just started. You sound well on your way, best of luck to ya!

Hey there,
    I know the feeling of narcolepsy all too well. Before I adjusted to the mask, I was falling asleep in the daytime in all kinds of situations - at work, waiting for the oil change, people talking to me, etc. I started on a nasal mask because it seemed less obtrusive, but I spent many times a night waking up and adjusting it. I went to a full face mask, and although it is like being a fighter pilot while in bed - it has made a huge difference for me. I sleep all night long and generally do not feel tired during the day.

My sleep doctor told me when I was getting fitted for the machine, that if I were to lose 100 lbs, I probably wouldn't need it anymore. That was one of the biggest motivators for me to start this journey.

If you have been sticking with the same mask, keep trying different ones till you find one that fits your sleeping style. It made a big difference for me.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    You can very possibly lose the mask! I used to have to wear one also and after I lost 150 I no longer need to :) While the masks save many lives and do great things over years of use they really are harmful to your body and breathing :( I have no doubts you can get there!
  • atreides42
    Options
    You can very possibly lose the mask! I used to have to wear one also and after I lost 150 I no longer need to :) While the masks save many lives and do great things over years of use they really are harmful to your body and breathing :( I have no doubts you can get there!

Thanks for the encouragement! I just went on a walk with my kids, and it was my idea... That hasn't happened very often~!
  • kansas_mom
    kansas_mom Posts: 16
    Options
    Sounds like we have some of the same goals!! I mostly run/walk on my treadmill at night after my son goes to bed. He's only 2 years old, so he tries to play with the track when I'm on it, and I'm a paranoid first time mom.... lol. Sometimes I also like to take him out in the wagon and go for a walk with the dog. But, I have a very large dog, and having both of them with me doesn't allow me the option to run at all. So, I usually do that when I don't feel like running at all. I also have an entire person worth of weight to lose... I hope that we can help encourage each other along the way!!!! ;) Good luck!!
  • atreides42
    Options
    It's been about 2 months since I started this process.
    Down about 30 lbs and probably still should lose 100 lbs.
    I just wanted to share that last night I gave my wife a hug and she said...

Wow! That is the first time since we were in high school that my fingers could touch!

That was about 15 years ago. This was a touching NSV for me ...

And I had to Google that to know what it means ...

New friend requests are welcome ... I've still got a long way to go!!!

Thanks MFP friends for all the encouragement.
  • MileHighSweety
    Options
    Please add me too. I was 220 lbs and now 165. I still have a way to go, but need support to get to my 120 mark. It's a rough road, but the more support the better, so I'm here if anyone wants a supportive friend.