Muscle soreness

Options
On Thursday I did a Body Pump class for the first time. Yesterday I felt fine so I went for a 35 minute jog/walk. I was feeling really slow, but no soreness. This morning I woke up and I feel like a truck hit me. I'm sore all over! How long does this usually last? I'd like to get a workout in tomorrow, but if I still feel this way there's no way I'll be able to do it.

Replies

• aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Soreness normally dissipates with some light cardio. So complete a warmup before deciding whether or not you're going to be able to do the workout.

It will likely take around two weeks before the workout no longer makes you as sore as you were this morning.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Did the same thing. Felt the same way. Rode my bike for an hour. Soreness gone!
  • bshot1
    bshot1 Posts: 44
    Options
    Doms, they'll last 3-4 days. Not really muscle soreness, it's the connective tissue. If you're consistent with your workout routine, ie doing it every 3-4 days you'll grow out of it.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    In the meantime I'd recommend deep stretching & a good long soak with Epsom Salts.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds crazy but I love the feeling of being sore after a good workout. It makes me feel like I accomplished something.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    Doms, they'll last 3-4 days. Not really muscle soreness, it's the connective tissue. If you're consistent with your workout routine, ie doing it every 3-4 days you'll grow out of it.
    Why would it be called delayed onset muscle soreness if it wasn't muscle soreness?
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    Anyhow, did my first 5x5 A workout on Monday and I can still barely sit on the toilet or get milk out of the fridge. Going in for my B workout tonight...don't know if I'll be able to squat. Going to try the cardio, stretching gig first...should I maybe ice my quads or something? I don't have a tub (and it doesn't matter because I'm going straight from work)...anything else I can try in this situation?

I did the squats with 20lbs, but am now sore with just bodyweight. Should I not use weight tonight?
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Use the weight, you'll be fine. The extreme soreness only happens after the first workout. The second workout seems to actually calm it.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    The more consistently you work out the less you get DOMS, so look forward to when you don't experience it! :)
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    For me the next day is bad, the day after that is the worst, then the soreness starts to go away. Just remember... There's a difference between soreness and pain. You don't need to stop doing exercises just because you're sore.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    Hey thanks! Yes it's definitely "Awesome!" sore, not "Uh-oh..." sore (I'm the epitome of the 'delayed' part - I don't feel a thing for 20 hours, then BAM!).

There's no doubt mentally I was going back, just doubtful physically if I can get to parallel with quads o' fire. Maybe a wider stance would help?
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds crazy but I love the feeling of being sore after a good workout. It makes me feel like I accomplished something.

Me too, I love it. Everyone says that makes me weird lol