question for 40 - 50 year olds about social websites

Options
Ok, if you had to chose from the following social websites, which one or ones could you do without?
Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Fitbit, MFP
Which one do you find the most useful?
I'm thinking I need to narrow it down...

Replies

• kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    I barely look at Instagram. I use Twitter for the entertainment factor - I follow actors, writers, tv shows, directors etc. Don't post a ton on a personal level. I love Fitbit, but there's limited social interaction. I spend too much time on Facebook, but find my time here cuts down on that. This site is the most helpful both for my weight loss efforts and education. I enjoy my "friends" and find the forums to contain a variety of topics to keep me both amused, educated and inspired.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I like Linkedin and MyFitnessPal.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    MFP -- I like this.
    Using Facebook to stay in touch with my niece and nephews. Also, my work place uses it.
    Instagram -- never signed up for that one
    Twitter -- following musicians and a small number of writers (writers are tweeting about political issues). My work place somewhat uses it.
    Which of the ones you listed do you find most fulfilling for yourself?
    And do you have some that you have to have for work.?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    MFP - Goofing around and fitness related sharing and entertainment. Oh, did I mention goofing around?
    LinkedIn - Serious Bidnazz.
    Facebook - Posting pictures of the kiddos for family and friends, and saying "no" to soon-to-be former friends trying to sell me weight loss snake oil.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Never use twitter, Instagram or fitbit. I use MFP, Facebook for co-workers, Google plus for drinking buddies. Absolutely no way to mix them up :-)
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Never use Farce-book.

Love MFP

Look at Instagram and Twitter for entertainment only
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Twitter seems like the biggest waste to me ever. Facebook seems to cause a lot of drama for people here. I use MFP and IG. And I dont think kik qualifies as a social media site, but I use it a ton to talk to mfpeeps.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is barely social: just trying to get more steps than your friends.

MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users
  • jamesolmos
    jamesolmos Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Facebook = family and friends
    Google Plus = connect with those who share similar interests
    Instagram = I'm a photographer soooo . . . plus I follow fitness profiles that I find motivating

MFP - engaging more the past few months (still find community posting a bit annoying since I can't tell if someone's replied directly to me)
    LinkedIn - have an account but never engage
    Twitter - have an account but never engage
  • PHDJACK
    PHDJACK Posts: 10
    Options
    MFP -- I like this.
    Using Facebook to stay in touch with my niece and nephews. Also, my work place uses it.
    Instagram -- never signed up for that one
    Twitter -- following musicians and a small number of writers (writers are tweeting about political issues). My work place somewhat uses it.
    Which of the ones you listed do you find most fulfilling for yourself?
    And do you have some that you have to have for work.?

I think Facebook is distracting, but I think I am choosing twitter and MFP, they have purpose in my life
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Facebook, it allows me to communicate with family
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    MFP - This is becoming my go-to social media site
    Facebook - Tons of friends on there. Hardly any of them know I'm losing weight and working out but I like to stalk, um, I mean follow what my friends are doing
    Twitter - I used to be very active there but I'm sick of all the political tweets. I don't use social media to get my politics. I'm here for entertainment purposes only (with the exception of MFP)
    Instagram - I have an account but really its just a repeat of Facebook. Same posts on both sites
    LinkedIn - That's too professional. I have to act mature there and it doesn't interest me to do that.
    Google Plus - I have an account and it seems to be growing but I haven't been there forever.
    MySpace - It's trying to make a comeback but the new format drives me crazy.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Ok, if you had to chose from the following social websites, which one or ones could you do without?

I never use IG...twitter rarely...facebook occasionally...fitbit is essential for tracking but not so much the social aspect.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Use mfp, what are the others?

A bit like diets, what do you want? How useful do you find them? My life is not enriched by twatter, farcebook or instagasm
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

I never use IG...twitter rarely...facebook occasionally...fitbit is essential for tracking but not so much the social aspect.

This ^^^^

Fitbit for tracking, socially I just use the info from there to be a *kitten* to people on MFP (the only fitbit friends I have are MFP friends).
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options

I'm on MFP most often followed by Facebook - I never really use Twitter or Instagram - most friends I have who use Instagram post the pics on Facebook anyway, so no loss there - and I don't really need to see the world through Tweets ...

i don't have a fitbit, so don't use their site

good luck figuring it out
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Definitely MFP! It's the only social website that I find meaningful in my life and has a wonderful purpose. I consider others sites listed above as not necessary and I definitely can do without them. I tried Facebook for a few, but decided it was pointless for me.
  • PHDJACK
    PHDJACK Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for the input