My goal: abs I can see

Options
So I want to be healthy and I want to be strong. I quite frankly also want to see my abs. I know washboard abs are all about overall fat loss and I'm getting there (albeit slowly) by sticking to my daily calorie goal and increasing my exercise. But, as a goal oriented person it would be seriously motivating to know the approximate weight when my abs might start to make an appearance.

Any lady 5'1ers out there with visible abs? How much do you weigh?

Replies

• hila_13
    hila_13 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Apparently this is not a popular post. Anyone else have the same goal at least?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    It's not about weight, it's about body fat %.

I don't have visible abs, so I'm not much help.

ETA: I would like to have a flat stomach with some visible abs, but I'm not there yet.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Did some research (aka googling this topic). It seems to depend on where you carry your weight/fat. If you carry most of your fat in your thighs/bum, you'll see abs at a higher BF%. If you carry your weight more in your stomach, you'll have to have a lower BF% to be able to see them. From what I read, anywhere from 20% down to 10% would have visible abs depending on where your weight/fat is distributed. (10-13% body fat on women is considered "essential" body fat.)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My bestie is 5'5" and about 125- she is lean- and moderately muscular- she's never had amazingly built abs- but she never tried for hypertrophy- but she had good definition with the V.

Usually on a woman soft 6 start happening around 20%

And the hard- unflexed abs happen under that- typically. YMMV
  • hila_13
    Options
    Thanks for the answers. It seems to me the likelihood of ever having visible abs is low but at least its something to aim for...
  • formerfatboy1
    formerfatboy1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It is not impossible to get visible ABS just stay consistent with your meals and workout routine and also Keep your sodium level down to prevent water retention. One thing that worked for me was fasted cardio and low carbs which really targets the fat and Burns it quick. I did 2 low Carb days followed by a moderate Carb day then back to 2 low Carb days then repeat till it started to come off. good luck!
  • hila_13
    Options
    Thanks. That is really helpful. :)
  • SharpieV
    SharpieV Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the same goal. :) I would like to see them too- I swear they're there, just hidden.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    My abs were visible at around 20-22% body fat. They weren't super defined but you could see them if you looked. That was when I was about 170 lbs (I'm 5'8). I do carry most of my fat on my hips, so probably someone more apple shaped would be different.
  • jamesolmos
    jamesolmos Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This site link gives a great visual representation of body types and their fat percentage. Just choose a body type that looks similar to you or what your goal shape looks like. Hope it helps!

http://www.nowloss.com/online-body-fat-percentage-calculator.htm