Adding mileage but need help

Options
I'm increasing my mileage daily and I love it. I've been trying to get in about 6 miles every other day and then 2 on the days off. I have one small problem I keep getting blisters. On my heels, toes, and sides of my feet. I have tried changing my walking and being very aware of foot placement to different socks. My shoes are my usual size. I have problems with shoes though. I have a wide ball of the foot but small heels so I wear a wide shoe. I think that might be the problem the heels are too big. However if I wear a normal shoe my toes are completely squished and begging for mercy by the time the walk is over. HELP!! Any ideas? I could walk so much farther if my feet weren't killing me by the end of the walk.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    so....when are you going to get your feet fitted to properly fitting shoes?
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Body glide, and...
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    If you can't find shoes that fit properly perhaps a good orthotic? My podiatrist had to make me a pair to stabilize my feet when walking. It did not matter the style of shoe at all...some of us just have odd feet.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Body glide, and...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

this because if your shoes arent fitting you correctly at your "usual size" then logically your usual size isnt the correct size
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    get better sport socks till you can get better shoes. then go out and push through. even with the best of shoes you're gonna get blisters. it's ok cause eventually the blisters will turn into callouses and your feet will feel like stone...can't get a blister on a stone right? :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    get better sport socks till you can get better shoes. then go out and push through. even with the best of shoes you're gonna get blisters. it's ok cause eventually the blisters will turn into callouses and your feet will feel like stone...can't get a blister on a stone right? :drinker:

I do not necessarily agree with this statement...or at least not the certainty of it. Blisters (at least in training) are almost always an indication of a problem that can be fixed.
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Specialty running shoes store. Get properly fitted shoes (as others already mentioned that :bigsmile: ). They might be very expensive, but worth every penny. Get non cotton socks. 95-98% polyester. Don't be afraid to try on shoes .5-1 size bigger.
    My black salsa stilettos are size 7.5, my long run snickers are sized 9. I have not had a blister or lost a toenail since 2010 :drinker:
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options

I do not necessarily agree with this statement...or at least not the certainty of it. Blisters (at least in training) are almost always an indication of a problem that can be fixed.

+1
    I log around 30 miles a week, and my feet are soft and pink and blisters free, just like my one year old baby niece's... Maybe slightly bigger :laugh:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Agreed. Sure, if you're running an ultra, a blister here and there may be unavoidable, but for walking a few miles? Blisters are a sign that you're wearing the wrong gear. Calluses will develop without blisters just due to friction, and aren't integral to 'toughening up' your feet or anything.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options

Really, blisters are inevitable? When will I get some? I have run a half marathon on properly fitted shoes without body glide on my feet. Never had a black toenail either.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My foot is the same way! I also had the same issue for awhile. I ended up with a pair of Feetures socks:
    http://www.amazon.com/Feetures-Elite-Merino-Ultra-Cushion/dp/B00E44SACI/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1405217887&sr=8-22&keywords=feetures

then I lace up my shoes like this:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/trail-running-gear/gear-tip-squirrel-hole-lacing-technique

I had to buy longer laces, since the one's that came with the shoes were just a tad too short when using this lacing method. When I finally got another pair of shoes, the blister issue hasn't happened again. So there may be something to everybody telling you to get fitted for shoes. I tried Brooks shoes two different times and got blisters from two different models. So far, New Balance and Saucony's seem to be blister free for me.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Ummm ... no.
  • lildynarider
    lildynarider Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Mmmmmkay the take away here is get properly fitted :smile: On that note not to sound like an idiot, but any recommendations? An athletic store, a store that specializes in shoes... I've never had an issue with blisters before, and I was a runner in high school. Apparently my feet have changed...a lot. Thanks for pointing out my glaringly obvious duh moment. No really thanks I'd just keep going along buying the same old shoes, whining :ohwell:
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Mmmmmkay the take away here is get properly fitted :smile: On that note not to sound like an idiot, but any recommendations? An athletic store, a store that specializes in shoes... I've never had an issue with blisters before, and I was a runner in high school. Apparently my feet have changed...a lot. Thanks for pointing out my glaringly obvious duh moment. No really thanks I'd just keep going along buying the same old shoes, whining :ohwell:

Hit a specialty store for the fitting, get ones that match your foot shape and stride, and give them the business for the first pair. Once you know what currently fits your needs, find the best deal on subsequent pairs. While you're at it, invest in good socks ... no cotton, no seams.
  • annieblossom81
    annieblossom81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When you come back to OKC we can go to Red Coyote. They recorded me jogging for less than a minute and rewatched it in slow motion, suggested appropriate shoes and insoles. Feet have been doing great, but lately like you having more discomfort with increased use, had a physical therapist look at me at work and turns out I've got weak glutes says the marks on my soles. So, it COULD BE something like that. I'll be more than happy to take you to meet that PT, also! -Your friend! ~A
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Hit a specialty store for the fitting, get ones that match your foot shape and stride, and give them the business for the first pair. Once you know what currently fits your needs, find the best deal on subsequent pairs. While you're at it, invest in good socks ... no cotton, no seams.

To be clear, by "specialty store", he means "running store". Locally for me, that would be Fleet Feet or Big River Running Co. What he does *not* mean is a general sports store like Dick's Sporting Goods or a general footwear store like Footlocker.
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Cotton is rotten. :mad:

Wet feet = blisters. Keep your feet DRY with some good, moisture-wicking socks. I like the two-layer kind, where the layers rub against each other instead of against the shoe or your foot, but even a single-layer sock made of technical fabric will beat cotton socks any day.

Pick up a stick of BodyGlide and apply liberally between toes, or wherever you normally get blisters.

What else... Maybe lace your shoes up a bit tighter to keep your heel from slipping? Some shoes have an extra set of eyelets that's closer to your ankle, and you can thread your laces through there to get a different (maybe better?) fit.