Losing weight and changing bra size

Options
I've lost about 3 inches under my bust and am currently supposed to be wearing a 28F. After finally finding a bra that fit me at the store, I checked the tag and it was $70! I'm not willing to invest in that if my size may change again, but I'm not sure if my current band is offering enough support. Should I buy it anyway? Is there anywhere where I can get it for cheaper?

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Online stores? You could check for the brand and style to see if you can find it elsewhere. Also I hear people use thrift stores to help buy clothes for cheap due to changing styles. But then again I once read about this specifically, she had on $10 worth of clothing from thrift stores but a $70 bra... Sometimes it can be really important to wear a properly fitting bra! That said I did stitch up the band on one of my favorite bras to make it smaller, since my cup size had not changed appreciably

Could also watch to see if the bra goes on sale, try on even more, etc but then I'm wondering what's happening with you in the mean time :laugh:
  • rubbersoul84
    rubbersoul84 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Go to www.reddit.com and search the braswap subreddit. There are tons of bras available for sale and trade. Lots of times people buy them off eBay and if they don't fit they sell them there for cheap. Sometimes people offer them up for free.

I am right there with you. I had to buy a Natori 36G sports bra today and it was almost $70. It will maybe fit for another two months, but I really need it!
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I say get the well-fitting bra. You'll look good!
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. I spend $55+ per bra anywhere I go. That's how much any bra that actually supports will cost. My back and ta-tas thank me. How much were you expecting to pay?
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel trying to find a bra that fits. I'm getting close to not fitting in my 30C at the smallest loop. That's where all my weight seems to go from first - the torso. Not where I want it to go from since I'm not well endowed, but that's what happens. I'm not lacking in the hips and thighs however. Buy the bra or try stores like Fredrick's. Sometimes Fredrick's carries limited stock of super small sizes on sale because not many wear them.
  • saraharnoldnelson
    saraharnoldnelson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For reasons that are not clear to me, it is often easier to find high quality bras at more reasonable prices online than in stores. Amazon is a great place to start. Particularly for "blessed" ladies, good support is REALLY important - don't bother with bras that aren't going to do their job.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If you are worried that the band will be too loose before getting your money's worth out of the bra, go the next band size down and get a extender to hook onto it until you do go down again.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wacoal, panache and curvy kate are great brands for those of who with small rib cages and huge racks.

check herroom, bravissimo, ebay and amazon online. as far as in person stores i've had some good luck stalking nordstrom, bloomingdales and macy's during sales. they'll have a few bras in my size that are on sale . there's also specialty lingerie stores if you have them near you. i dont live in NYC anymore but when I go to visit at least once a year i will stop by linda's and spend an afternoon trying stuff on.

I've bought bras in my size (36 H or HH depending on the bra) for anywhere from $10-$70, the majority of which are in the $30-$40 range but some of the more harder to find items - like my very awesome strapless - are going to be on the higher range.
  • BiblioTrecho
    BiblioTrecho Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    www.brastop.com

I have purchased 3 bras and a bikini top from them
  • jennifermariemeap
    Options
    Sometimes if I see a super cute (cheap) bra that fits in the cups but not in the band, I can splurge to get the band professionally altered. Now this probably isn't the best long-term, but until you reach your goals it might help supplement :)
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    if you know the size and brand/style then look on ebay. Plenty of sellers selling new with tag bras in a wide range of sizes. you just had to have an idea of what size you need.
  • Alathea_Squared
    Alathea_Squared Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. My wife was a DD in college, but 4 children a a few years later she is now an F. discussions of bustware are had before purchasing because anything over about a C/D seems to require a 2nd mortgage, never mind the shoulder and neck issues that I rub out on a regular basis. She usually has good luck at Gordmans/Penny's/etc in their clearance. She scores medium/higher quality stuff without the initial price shock. Otherwise-TO THE INTERNETS!

Honestly, if you can afford the shipping, bra/panty shops from the UK have a pretty good range of larger sizes and they don't size everything to a 7 or less. The boning around the cups and band is usually pretty strong, but they don't look like lunch lady type bras either. Colors, patterns, lace, etc-a bit more limited, but we've had good luck getting even strapless stuff in her size from sites overseas. Ebay, amazingly enough, used to have clearance type sales of unworn/new/discontinued stuff that you could score, too, at a reasonable price, even.

Good luck. I don't 'fee'l your pain, but I do live with it. K started developing in about middle school and it just kept happening. I have three daughters now-11, 10, and 5. 2 of them have already started.

*sigh*
  • Alathea_Squared
    Options
    twice a year she also goes to penny's or Sears, etc, and is sized just to make sure she hasn't changed. We avoid VS's stores, unfortunately, because other than loungeware and bottoms the people that work there have never SEEN anything over a D it seems like, muchless carry anything in that bust/band size.

You could also check fetishwear sites? Or maybe locally? My wife rocks an awesome lighter boned corset for support, but not 'crazy' support. Its like a 'half corset'-part for show, but it actually does its job pretty well. AND its custom sized for her and didn't cost over about 80, all told...and the drinks after it was done with the girl that made it because we all became acquaintances after that.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Saving this info!
  • Alathea_Squared
    Options
    Also, there are some modern Pin Up girls that model-and in larger sizes, too, that have lines of nightwear and under stuff, cammies, etc, that don't make you look like you are 65+ and have a great support. Garters and the whole bit,if thats your thing. Dita von Teese has a line of stuff that just came out in the UK and is available on the internet and aside from being supportive because she's a bit on the curvy side it looks great. You and your partner whomever he/she be would probably love it.

The bottoms go to about a 14, and the tops seem to go to around 36 D.

http://www.fairefroufrou.com/store/product2818.html etc. You can google around for the best prices, but it is locally available in most larger cities with malls/stores like Sears, Penny's, Bloomingdales, etc. You can always snapsot it and find a local corset shop, or on the internet, and as them to make you "this" in "that size", too. The theater people, and cosplay community for comics/SF, etc have good luck and usually know good places for stuff like this, too!
  • ELizzyKD
    ELizzyKD Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Besides the online retailers previously mentioned, check out Nordstrom Rack: https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/Women/Clothing/Intimate%20Apparel/Bras. I've heard of women finding bras for $5.00 in store.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    *Sigh* Jealous. I wish my worry was to spend $70 on a bra instead of $5K on a boob job. After having kids and the weight loss I got nothing.

Sorry, I shouldn't post when I can't contribute. Just thought you should know you're lucky :-)
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    If you are worried that the band will be too loose before getting your money's worth out of the bra, go the next band size down and get a extender to hook onto it until you do go down again.

This is a really good idea.

Lots of good info here.