Need help in achieving a flat stomach

Options
Right now, I feel like crap. Despite eating in moderation and working out, I feel like my belly fat isn't budging at all. It's getting frustrating because I'm so near to my goal weight. Two days ago I weighed 125 but at this moment, the scale is near 128 :( It might be because of TOM...i feel so bloated uggh!

I weigh around 125 lbs. When I look at pictures of people on MFP who weigh around 125-128, and then compare my body to them, mine looks nowhere near like theirs - I look way over 125. I don't know what else to do.

Can you guys recommend a good diet plan? And tips for a flat stomach? Sigh. I'm upset!

Replies

• crushdmbme
    crushdmbme Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    runnng seems to tighten my stomach muscles.. but thats just me! and core classes at the gym if any are available!
  • DoralisM
    Options
    Everyone looks different even if they are the same weight because some people are taller, some shorter and some petite frame, some more build from the top.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    I usually fluctuate by about 5 pounds during TOM. I'm sure that's contributing to your fluctuation and discomfort.
  • Pamphone
    Options
    You probably need to tweak your diet, not your workout.
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    sit ups and crunches should help tone those muscles up
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    My belly fat is also a big problem. Need to do more exercises to help flatten iy.
  • NatashaKW
    Options
    Maybe you have a wheat intolerance? Try cutting down on wheat products and eat more protein, which helps in forming muscle. And of course increse sit ups and core muscle exercise.
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    I´ve heard that Pilates is very good for those abdominal muscles... All the people I´ve seen who´ve kept it up have very tight abdominal muscles, more than the usual. I´ve never tried it though.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    CARDIO!! and lots of it
  • jen0619
    Options
    CARDIO!! and lots of it, of course with core workouts.
  • cableguy1177
    Options
    I carry all of my extra weight in my mid-section... and I mean ALL of it. It's a constant battle that I'm determined to win. Part of it is genetics and it just happens to be where my body decides it needs to store fat. The only way to beat the bulge is to drop body fat % and keep toning the mid-section.
  • SmellyMelly13
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, when I was 270lbs I had always thought that being 5'10' meant I would probably reach my goal weight around 150-160. Like most people I know in my height range. But that's not the case, I was 148 for a while, back to 154 now (thanks xmas haha) But regardless I am not done losing weight, because everything I have left is in my stomach, and as soon as I gain a single pound it goes right back to my tummy.

But my understanding is that this is a diet issue not an exercise issue, I've done a lot of reading about it and you can do 1000 sit-ups, it's not going to make a difference in burning the fat off, you can't target belly fat, you need to do whole body work-outs, and cardio, lots of resistance type exercises, think using your own weight against you, and I find that running is the most effective cardio for me, although usually I'm not in mood so I go for the elliptical. And most importantly I've read that it's high fiber food, whole grains etc that are going to help burn through the belly fat, I have no idea if this works yet, I'm just trying again to blow this last belly bulge.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    could it be loose skin?

i have that problem now.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    3 culprits: salt, sugar, and processed foods

Try to decrease the amount of these that you consume. Salt and sugar causes our bodies to retain fluid, and processed foods may have chemicals in them that don't work well with your body. Try low-sugar, or sugar free products, low-salt version of foods or use salt substitutes, and cook or bake your foods instead of consuming any packaged / frozen foods.

Are you lactose intolerant? Irritable bowl syndrome can cause your belly to look swollen also. Avoid foods that you are intolerant to, or significantly reduce the quantity of them that you typically eat.
  • jen0619
    Options
    3 culprits: salt, sugar, and processed foods

Try to decrease the amount of these that you consume. Salt and sugar causes our bodies to retain fluid, and processed foods may have chemicals in them that don't work well with your body. Try low-sugar, or sugar free products, low-salt version of foods or use salt substitutes, and cook or bake your foods instead of consuming any packaged / frozen foods.

Are you lactose intolerant? Irritable bowl syndrome can cause your belly to look swollen also. Avoid foods that you are intolerant to, or significantly reduce the quantity of them that you typically eat.

I agree I do have IBS and it is a pain in the behind salts for sure as well as caffiene seems to make everything worse for me!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    The Insanity workout will do the job if you're serious about change
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've been fighting with this same issue for the past year. That's where all my weight was and wanted to stay and it has been super hard getting rid of it. I finally did but it took rigorous exercising with lots of core and cardio stuff. But mainly it was diet change. Cut out sugar (you can still have fruits so long as you don't overdo it), processed stuff for sure, go easy on the salt and eat LOADS of veggies. This year I did the Fast Tract one day detox diet for a fresh start on the new year and after that I have the stomach I've always longed for. It's a great way to train your mind to eat better too. Pray I can stick with it.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Im 126 and dont have a "flat" stomach yet!..of course cardio helps to get that fat burning and avoiding too much sugar and sodium. Im waiting on my new dvd from jillian michaels "6 week 6 pack" you should try it out its like $9 bucks at walmart!...
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    As some people hinted about above, abs are truly made in the kitchen. You have to eat right and cut out all the crap in order to see the flat stomach. Cardio burns the fat, strength training gives you lean muscle which burns more fat at rest and makes you look leaner and tighter...but all the cardio in world won't let that 6-pack emerge if you aren't eating right.
  • catwoman2011
    Options
    Its the sugar in foods ! Its poison for your body ! and sugar is everywhere ... ketchup , salad dressings, EVERYWHERE !! I have been following the phase 2 of South Beach for several months now ... doing well , with a few slip ups here and there ... splurges !! it always takes a few days to get a sugar splurge out of my system and get back on track , but when I do, my belly instantly decompresses . Try it , avoid white foods altogether , pasta , rice, potatoes, sugar ( check labels ) , breads of any kind.... you can add in 100% whole wheat after couple of weeks to get carbs out of your system ...hope that helps .