Total Nutrition Noob

Options
Hi All, I'm new here.

I've recently started exercising regularly for about 2.5 weeks after leading a pretty much sedentary lifestyle. I guess I don't really need to lose weight since according to my BMI I am finally in the normal range for the first time in my life. Even though I've been pretty lazy my whole adult life, I'm what most people call skinny fat. I was used to being underweight, but flabby with chicken legs. I started yoga earlier this year and I think my legs are looking more toned. The reason I started going to the gym was because I noticed I gained a bit more flab around my belly (which I know is bad), hips, and thighs and I want to slim those down again. I think I gained that flab after eating A LOT of buttered popcorn over the winter. (I probably have seasonal depression, or something.)

I know I can't spot reduce and I would have to lose weight overall. But being at a "normal range" I would assume I should focus on weight training only? Also I just started using the MFP app this morning and I didn't realise I had to eat back my lost calories. I know starving yourself isn't the way to go. I guess I was just used to falling back on that since it seemed to work in high school. (And I ate terribly in high school; so much junk food.)

Since being at the gym (and I know it hasn't been long) I've actually gained a couple of pounds and a inch on my waist. Not what I want, but I guess I have to keep going?

I'd appreciate any advice, thank you.

Replies

• zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    What are you goals here? If you want to lose fat on your stomach and not be "skinny fat" I think all you need to do is start on gentler full body exercise such as swimming. Yoga is good but it isn't an efficient form of exercise. Walking and building up to running is also a good idea. As for diet, eat more protein to keep fuller for longer and become stronger.Edit: I forgot to mention that even without exercise most of that stomach flab will come off if you lose weight, so food is an important aspect of it as well.
  • zenalasca
    Options
    Edit: double entry
  • Unruly_Girl
    Options
    Thanks for replying. My goals are to just "tone up", really. (I've read around here you can't really tone up?) I'd like to have leaner, shapely legs. A perkier butt, lose the saddle bags. Build a strong core, lose a couple inches from my waist, hips, and thighs. And I'd like to build some arm strength because I'm much too weak. I know I need to work on eating better, so hopefully MFP will help with that! I think trying to take up running could be good, too.
  • zenalasca
    Options
    When I was running a lot and eating less food, that combination allowed me to reach 18-19 percent body fat! Running really can be the most efficient way to tone your body.
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You'll want to do 3 things:

1. Calorie Deficit

This is how you lose the flab. It's also how you get to seeing muscle definition which is typically what people mean when they say they want to tone up.

2. Progressive Lifting

This is how you maintain your muscles on a calorie deficit to avoid ending up looking a tad sickly. And yes, it will help perk up your butt. Two great beginner programs are Starting Strength and Stronglifts.

3. Cardio

For cardiovascular health and stamina. There's no point taking up running unless you have a special interest in the sport. It's more efficient to do HIIT. Cardio benefits come from intensity not duration, you shouldn't have to spend more than 30 minutes doing cardio to get all the benefit.

You don't have to take on all 3 at the same time. The calorie deficit is the most important and should be figured out first.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying. My goals are to just "tone up", really. (I've read around here you can't really tone up?) I'd like to have leaner, shapely legs. A perkier butt, lose the saddle bags. Build a strong core, lose a couple inches from my waist, hips, and thighs. And I'd like to build some arm strength because I'm much too weak. I know I need to work on eating better, so hopefully MFP will help with that! I think trying to take up running could be good, too.

Yoga is fantastic for your core. And for everything else as well like arm strength, . . .
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    As a "total nutrition noob," you can start at http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/ to learn about healthy eating. If you stay poking around MFP, you'll find there are lots of folks with healthy BMIs who are toning through lifting and cardio who can advise you.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Tone up is a meaningless term, you want to gain muscle and reduce bodyfat percentage.
  • Unruly_Girl
    Options
    Right, so should I focus completely on strength training only since I'm already at a "normal" weight? I know losing body fat can mean doing cardio, too, but since building muscle will eventually burn more fat should I even bother with cardio?
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Do 10-20 minutes of cardio minimum as a warm - up before doing any lifting/resistance training. If you like doing it (like jogging or whatever), do more if you want but it isn't necessary.

I highly suggest reading a beginner lifting book like Starting Strength or new rules of lifting for women. Either of those break down into nutrition, cardio, and lifting moves, and I personally have really seen improvements on New Rules. For what you are looking to do, it's really good! And the author explains things really well.
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Right, so should I focus completely on strength training only since I'm already at a "normal" weight? I know losing body fat can mean doing cardio, too, but since building muscle will eventually burn more fat should I even bother with cardio?

Losing body fat is 90% diet. You should focus on that. And incorporate strength training to maintain your muscles. Cardio is good for stamina and cardiovascular health. It's your choice whether to do it or not. It's helpful when maintaining your weight but it doesn't play a major role in weight loss.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Losing body fat is 90% diet. You should focus on that. And incorporate strength training to maintain your muscles. Cardio is good for stamina and cardiovascular health. It's your choice whether to do it or not. It's helpful when maintaining your weight but it doesn't play a major role in weight loss.

Well said
  • Unruly_Girl
    Options

Good point. I really should focus on my "diet". I just read around here about eating back your exercise calories and I took the lazy way out by eating chocolate to reach my goal of 1400. (I still have 26 remaining, actually. Oh well.) I guess I'll up my protein instead from now on. Thanks.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

I'm 100% serious. Skating. Lift weights and watch your macros. But skating is a great way to make your legs and core toned. A lot of girls on the team more or less only skate, yoga and lift weights. And they look AMAZING
  • Unruly_Girl
    Options
    Do 10-20 minutes of cardio minimum as a warm - up before doing any lifting/resistance training. If you like doing it (like jogging or whatever), do more if you want but it isn't necessary.

I highly suggest reading a beginner lifting book like Starting Strength or new rules of lifting for women. Either of those break down into nutrition, cardio, and lifting moves, and I personally have really seen improvements on New Rules. For what you are looking to do, it's really good! And the author explains things really well.

Thanks, I'm looking to buying the New Rules...soon!
  • Unruly_Girl
    Options

I'm 100% serious. Skating. Lift weights and watch your macros. But skating is a great way to make your legs and core toned. A lot of girls on the team more or less only skate, yoga and lift weights. And they look AMAZING

I've read about skating being great for toned legs before! Ahh, I would totally sign up at my local ice rink, but I already bought a bunch of yoga classes...I need to make more money, haha.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Get enough protein (at least 100 grams a day is recommended)
    Eat at your calorie goal (for muscle building stick reasonably close to TDEE, hard to build something on deficit)
    Lift weights
    Add some cardio if you want (I personally like lifting 2-3 times a week, and also 3 times a week or so of cardio, cycling, running, walking, swimming, whatever I feel like doing)
  • Unruly_Girl
    Options
    Eat at your calorie goal (for muscle building stick reasonably close to TDEE, hard to build something on deficit)
    Lift weights
    Add some cardio if you want (I personally like lifting 2-3 times a week, and also 3 times a week or so of cardio, cycling, running, walking, swimming, whatever I feel like doing)

I just calculated my TDEE at 1922 Calories/Day. It said to subtract 15-20% to calculate how many calories I need to "eat daily to burn fat and lose weight at a steady pace." I got 1537.6 after subtracting 20%. MFP gives me a daily goal of 1400.

So considering what I'm trying to accomplish, I should just aim for the range of 1400-1538 calories a day? Or should I try to reach 1922 cals/day instead?

Also this might be a silly question, but I walk dogs 3 days a week for about 5-6.5 hours a day. Should I include this as "exercise" or just adjust my activity level? (I already have it at light.)

EDIT: Well, never mind my first question since you answered it already. Although I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.
  • Unruly_Girl
    Options
    Lift weights

I just calculated my TDEE at 1922 Calories/Day. It said to subtract 15-20% to calculate how many calories I need to "eat daily to burn fat and lose weight at a steady pace." I got 1537.6 after subtracting 20%. MFP gives me a daily goal of 1400.

So considering what I'm trying to accomplish, I should just aim for the range of 1400-1538 calories a day? Or should I try to reach 1922 cals/day instead?

Also this might be a silly question, but I walk dogs 3 days a week for about 5-6.5 hours a day. Should I include this as "exercise" or just adjust my activity level? (I already have it at light.)

EDIT: Well, never mind my first question since you answered it already. Although I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.

Wanted to clarify about the dogwalking: obviously it isn't a continuous 5-6.5 hours. I included it as "exercise" for today, but I'd still like to know if this is ok. Should I ask elsewhere?
  • Emmaa233
    Emmaa233 Posts: 12
    Options
    In our eat-and-run, massive-portion-sized culture, maintaining a healthy weight can be tough—and losing weight, even tougher. If you’ve tried and failed to lose weight before, you may believe that diets don’t work for you. You’re probably right: traditional diets don’t work—at least not in the long term. However, there are plenty of small but powerful ways to avoid common dieting pitfalls, achieve lasting weight loss success, and develop a healthier relationship with food.