New here, and have a question. :)

Options
LoryBear
LoryBear Posts: 89 Member
I just made my account today right before I started my workout, because I realized how often I have little questions that I'd like opinions on/answers to regarding healthy eating and exercise...

Anyways, I joined and asked for some opinions on a board, but now I'm fiddling around with the profile and I was curious...

Do people only use tickers for weight they've lost since they started on the website, or since they started working out?

I started working out about 2 months ago, I was 135 pounds and now I'm 117, but I'm still 7 pounds off of my weight goal. Should I just keep my ticker at 117->110 or should I put the starting weight in at 135?
I'm just wondering what the norm is around here. Thanks. :D

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    Well, I put mine from when I started trying to lose weight which was same time as I joined MFP.

I didn't put it from when I started working out - which is just as well as I dont really do workouts as such :laugh:

There are all sorts of variations though - some people put them as weight lost, others as weight to go to goal, others set mini goals along the way and change their ticker as they get to them, others don't do tickers at all - No right or wrong answer, just put whatever is relevant to you and which you will find most meaningful.
  • Chickie25
    Chickie25 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I joined a long time ago and used MFP to lose about 30lbs. But then I slacked off and stopped using the website and gained some back so I've reset my goal using my start weight from when I started to log again.

ETA: fixed spelling
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know what norm is! I put mine from when I started MFP. I lost 14 pounds on my own before joining. So, my actual weight loss is slightly higher than what my ticker shows.
  • LoryBear
    LoryBear Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    So people generally just do it from when they start the website, is what I'm gathering. Thanks!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Mine is set from when I started to lose weight.

I actually had lost a bit of weight before joining MFP. So I had been working out and "dieting" before I knew this site existed. I began looking for calorie counters when I got tired of the overly strict diet I was on. When I first joined, I wasn't really in the mind set for calorie counting. It wasn't until several months later that I really began to use this site/phone app. I decided to set my ticker to show my total loss, because I wanted to show (well I guess brag) how far I have come. I am only recently getting back into using the site again (had to stop b/c of pregnancy....was just cleared to workout again) and am hoping I can get back to where I left off at last year.

There is no right or wrong answer for this. It's all personal preference.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    well when I started, my lazy butt was 234 pounds so I have that as my starting weight. That was almost a year ago. I pretty much started working out when I started.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    It is only ever going to matter to you, so set it up whichever way makes you happier. You'll know what it means, and that's all that matters.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for a while, but I didn't start using it religiously until about 2 months ago. I went in and added my weight loss from when I started, it is motivating to see how much I lost daily.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    It is only ever going to matter to you, so set it up whichever way makes you happier. You'll know what it means, and that's all that matters.

Ya, this ^^^

It seems to me that more people set it from when they join MFP, and since you're using your stats from that date, it kind of naturally falls that way. I think you'd actually have to dipsy doodle slightly, to make it read from a previous high weight.... but, I'm not sure. Mine is set from when I joined MFP, which has brought me some amusement, when, a guy commented on my ticker, as if I obviously know jacksh!t because I've 'only' lost 7 lbs.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It's up to you, I didn't prior to joining MFP I had already lost 18 pounds, now just 6-1/2 to go.