One week to whip my butt in as much shape as I can. Help?

Options
So I just found out that I will be doing some outdoor event that is 24 hours in the woods and will involve a lot of running, camping, surviving outdoors (e.g. it's a zombie apocalypse survival thing).

Anyway, I was wondering what I should to do to try and get myself in as best shape as I can between now and uh, next Friday evening. I know, I know, it's going to be impossible to go from couch potato to cross country runner, but I'd like to maximize the amount of time that I have between now and then so I don't completely die. I also understand the importance of not going beyond my limits because getting hurt sucks.

I have the whole week off of work so I can invest as much time into this as necessary. I'm not on this site just for this week; I am legit working on a lifestyle change that began before signing up on here (17lbs+ down now total).

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Are you literally starting from no exercise?

If so... the best you can do is probably just walking and/or hiking. Trying to go balls to the wall will have adverse effects and you may end up injuring yourself before you even go on your zombie survival event.

If you've been exercising, you may want to try running at intervals, like with the Couch to 5k program.
  • rd72578
    rd72578 Posts: 10
    Options
    Are you literally starting from no exercise?

If so... the best you can do is probably just walking and/or hiking. Trying to go balls to the wall will have adverse effects and you may end up injuring yourself before you even go on your zombie survival event.

If you've been exercising, you may want to try running at intervals, like with the Couch to 5k program.
    I have been somewhat exercising by doing interval running the past couple of weeks. I'm not the fastest and I can't run forever, but I can do on and off running/walking for about 2 miles before I'm exhausted.

I was wondering if taking the time to do some extra stretching and flexibility type things would help so that my muscles might be more relaxed?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I would run and walk on alternate days, and rest the day before the event. Run on the type of terrain you will encounter (probably not a road).

If there are obstacles, like walls or crawling, you will want to train for those too.
    I was wondering if taking the time to do some extra stretching and flexibility type things would help so that my muscles might be more relaxed?

Don't stretch within an hour of needing to use muscles, because it weakens them.

To minimize soreness, start drinking 12 ounces of tart cherry juice each day. There are numerous studies on PubMed about this.
  • satan__
    satan__ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    >1 week

LOW BAR SQUATZ AND OATZ
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    One week?

If you've been exercising regularly, consider taking that week off or dialing way back as a kind of taper for the extra activity. If you haven't, then do some walking. Actually, do some walking even if it's the first scenario.

But honestly, there is almost zero change you can make in your physical preparedness in one week other than ensuring you're as rested as possible for the activity.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have not tried Insanity, but if you can get your hands on that - i would go with it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I have not tried Insanity, but if you can get your hands on that - i would go with it.

For one week?!?

Besides wearing OP out for her planned activities, what good could possibly come of doing that for one week?
  • satan__
    satan__ Posts: 11 Member
    Options

This is a psuedo-science HIIT varaiation that is pure marketing garbage. Please do not do this.
  • gfrogel
    gfrogel Posts: 14
    Options
    [/quote]
    I have been somewhat exercising by doing interval running the past couple of weeks. I'm not the fastest and I can't run forever, but I can do on and off running/walking for about 2 miles before I'm exhausted.

That's okay, zombies aren't supposed to run fast. You should be good :p lol
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    One week?

If you've been exercising regularly, consider taking that week off or dialing way back as a kind of taper for the extra activity. If you haven't, then do some walking. Actually, do some walking even if it's the first scenario.

But honestly, there is almost zero change you can make in your physical preparedness in one week other than ensuring you're as rested as possible for the activity.

I agree completely. You aren't going to be able to make any appreciable conditioning gains in a week.

I would like to add that you will want to make sure that the shoes/boots that you will be wearing are ones that give you good traction and stability if you are traipsing about the woods at night. They should be broken in so that you don't get blisters from being on your feet all day/night. Smartwool type socks should help. Carry moleskin with you just in case. Blisters SUCK. Bring lots of snacks, especially the caffeinated kind. Go as light as you can in your pack, it sounds like you won't be sleeping anyway.

Get some rest, make sure you've eaten and are geared up and have fun. It sounds like a blast, I would totally do it, even though I'd pay for it later :laugh:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Get some rest, make sure you've eaten and are geared up and have fun.
    Ditto.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    your going to die,the zombies will get you,,the best you can do is try to hide and sneak out when they are busy eating someone else..lol.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    One week?

I agree completely. You aren't going to be able to make any appreciable conditioning gains in a week.

I would like to add that you will want to make sure that the shoes/boots that you will be wearing are ones that give you good traction and stability if you are traipsing about the woods at night. They should be broken in so that you don't get blisters from being on your feet all day/night. Smartwool type socks should help. Carry moleskin with you just in case. Blisters SUCK. Bring lots of snacks, especially the caffeinated kind. Go as light as you can in your pack, it sounds like you won't be sleeping anyway.

Get some rest, make sure you've eaten and are geared up and have fun. It sounds like a blast, I would totally do it, even though I'd pay for it later :laugh:

^ This has everything I wanted to say, and more, and she said it better:-)
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    One week?

This is right on. With a week, get decent sleep, don't wear yourself out exercising, and wear proper footwear and clothing.
  • rd72578
    rd72578 Posts: 10
    Options
    One week?

This is right on. With a week, get decent sleep, don't wear yourself out exercising, and wear proper footwear and clothing.

Perfect.

It's 24 hours in the woods with no safe zones, so my squad and I know that we won't be sleeping. I was actually thinking about going down to area where we will be playing and walking around so I can learn the terrain.
  • karinaApplebombinos
    karinaApplebombinos Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    totally agree to the gear... make sure your footwear are geared to the terrain and bring all the doodahs suggested for blisters etc.. also baby wipes and snacks... high protein snacks. drink lots of water.
  • combatbunny
    combatbunny Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One week? The zombies are going to eat you. I wouldn't suggest trying to wear yourself out in the week before your event. How about some yoga though? It's low impact and it will help you to prevent injuries for the event! :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Rule #1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4smD0xy6w08

oh and get used to humpin' with a heavy pack. There's a big difference between a laden and unladen hobbit walk.

The ruck can wreck.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    One week?

This^

Doing nothing, eating well and being as fresh as possible would probably be better than anything else you can do.

Doing a whole bunch o' stuff in a week will almost guarantee that you won't have it in the tank come the big day.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would run and walk on alternate days, and rest the day before the event. Run on the type of terrain you will encounter (probably not a road).

If there are obstacles, like walls or crawling, you will want to train for those too.

*******Don't stretch within an hour of needing to use muscles, because it weakens them.*******

To minimize soreness, start drinking 12 ounces of tart cherry juice each day. There are numerous studies on PubMed about this.

Cherimoose, (sorry OP, totally off topic, but I'm curious), don't all athletes stretch just before they perform or am I missing something? I was always taught to do some stretches before I run to warm my muscles up, aaaagh, help, somebody, am I doing more harm than good???