How much dietary fat do you consume? (WOMEN)

Options
Hi, I am currently 5'4.5 trying to lose a bit and gain strength and muscle.

I lift 4x a week and do cardio 3x a week, averaging 1900 calories per day.

However, i noticed that my dietary fat intake is a bit low =/ around the 30 - 40 grams ish. I was wondering how many grams I should be getting at the LEAST.. Can you guys share with me the amount of calories you consume and how many grams of fat?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I aim for .35 grams per pound of bodyweight. That puts my goal around 60 grams minimum, though I'm usually over that.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I try to aim for between 60-90 grams a day. Some days I break 100 grams. Today's a little light for me at 58.
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I eat lower fat, especially in the summer when I'm filling up on produce. It just makes me feel better - fat tends to upset my stomach. 25-35g per day is pretty typical. It works for me---everyone is different, though.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I aim for .35 grams per pound of bodyweight. That puts my goal around 60 grams minimum, though I'm usually over that.

I use the same equation. I'm pretty "flexible" with that number, though. I go over or under on any given day. Over the last 12 weeks of logging, my average is around 50g/day.
  • MissKris14
    MissKris14 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    30 grams a day (on 1200 cal diet).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    between 50-100.

I don't typically look- but taking a quick glance my goal is typically around 80 grams- but I range anywhere low to high- but usually high.

I have no fear of fat for it is delicious.
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie a day food plan and I am allotted 40 grams of fat per day.
    I am at times eating 24, and at once 64, and it is never exactly 40. I don't track it, but it's over or under pretty equally daily.

I'm not worrying about it.
  • GuineaPiglet
    GuineaPiglet Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much I've worked out that day, as MFP adjusts and I do eat back a good portion (if not ALL) of my calories from exercise. Anywhere from 40-75. I'm barely 5' tall so I have my settings at 1200 calories if I haven't worked out, and try to get 1200 net if I have. I'm almost never under by more than 5, but occasionally do go over.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I eat 1900 calories a day, and have fat set at 35%, which is 74 grams. I don't usually make that, I think I'm usually between 50 and 65 grams or so, but I don't worry about it. I wouldn't worry about going over either, as long as I'm within my calorie allotment, and get enough protein and potassium.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'd never really looked so I just scrolled through the past month and it looks like I average 80-90 g per day. Lowest was 57. Highest was 150-something.

I just focus on calories (average 1800 per day with 1700 most days and 2200-2400 on Sundays) and protein (~112 g). I steer away from fat free versions of food whenever possible.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I measure the percentage instead of an exact number. I eat just under 2,000 calories and average 40% or higher of fat. I eat lots of nuts, nut butter, dairy, and oil, some processed foods. I noticed after months of logging, that I am much more satiated eating the same amount of calories of fat than anything else, and I just don't seem to care for foods that are high in protein, even making an effort, I can only do about 25% protein. Most days I get less than 20% protein. It's just the foods I like.
  • cjl2535
    cjl2535 Posts: 89
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies :)

The only reason I'm worried is because my period has stopped and I'm wondering if it's due to the low amount of fat I'm getting. It's not that I don't want to eat fat but it's because the foods that I mostly like to eat have little to no fat in them :(
  • erinlikesfood
    erinlikesfood Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I do have secondary amenorrhea (absent periods) and from what my doctors have told me, it's mainly a result of under-eating calories (not fat in particular, but since fat has more calories per gram than carbohydrates or protein, adding fat is an easy way of getting more calories) and/or too much exercise. You should definitely see a doctor to get an accurate diagnosis, though; there are other possible reasons for not getting a period.

The only reason I'm worried is because my period has stopped and I'm wondering if it's due to the low amount of fat I'm getting. It's not that I don't want to eat fat but it's because the foods that I mostly like to eat have little to no fat in them :(
  • cjl2535
    cjl2535 Posts: 89
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I do have secondary amenorrhea (absent periods) and from what my doctors have told me, it's mainly a result of under-eating calories (not fat in particular, but since fat has more calories per gram than carbohydrates or protein, adding fat is an easy way of getting more calories) and/or too much exercise. You should definitely see a doctor to get an accurate diagnosis, though; there are other possible reasons for not getting a period.

Right now there are complications with my health card so I'm unable to go see a doctor atm :( for the while I'm wondering if I can do other htings to help get it back.

I know for sure that I'm not undereating (averaging 1900 cals/day) but I find that most of the foods I enjoy eating have little to no fat... I'm just wondering if incorporating more fat (not necessarily increasing calories) has helped anyone ?

Thank you so much for your reply :)