Constipated

Options
I know this isn't exactly a pleasant topic but I'm really fed up with this now. My bowel movements have near enough stopped over the past few days and i've tried pretty much everything to get them to move again but nothing is working.
I've drank orange juice, lots of water, green tea, i've eaten high fibre foods and fruit, i've tried yoghurt. I have movicol and fybogel for constipation relief and nothing. I've even tried exercising and still nothing.
From regular bowel movement to near enough zero has frustrated me to no end. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't exactly a pleasant topic but I'm really fed up with this now. My bowel movements have near enough stopped over the past few days and i've tried pretty much everything to get them to move again but nothing is working.
    I've drank orange juice, lots of water, green tea, i've eaten high fibre foods and fruit, i've tried yoghurt. I have movicol and fybogel for constipation relief and nothing. I've even tried exercising and still nothing.
    From regular bowel movement to near enough zero has frustrated me to no end. Any advice would be appreciated.

Try drink luke warm in the morning (I know it sounds gross, but I learned it from a pilates instructor I had and it works), and drink a glass at night. Every morning, every night.
  • crystaltellor
    crystaltellor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    what is your net cal intake daily? you could be taking in to few cals, that will mess you up
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure you have move soluble fiber in your diet, trust me it works
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    try some senna max strength herbal tablets x
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Definitely make sure you're drinking enough water and getting enough calories. I've found that if I eat too little protein, that causes problems. Also try to stay away from eating too much processed sugar -- that can contribute to constipation. Sometimes drinking a cup of coffee in the morning can help get things going. Have you tried taking a stool softener like Senekot? If you take it before bed, it usually will help you go in the morning.

Also, try massaging your lower abdomen firmly (not hard enough to hurt, but definitely put some pressure on there), rubbing in an arc from left to right and down. It works for my kids, so I don't see any reason that it wouldn't help an adult.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    what is your net cal intake daily? you could be taking in to few cals, that will mess you up

Actually this has happened to me and once I ate a big bunch of food It all came out! All that fiber and low cal means not so much to come out. A double dose of spaghetti seemed to do the trick!
  • ardnassac
    ardnassac Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can have too much fiber also. I had too many servings of Fiber One bars one day, and that messed me up a bit. Good luck! Sometimes this just happens. :)
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I have changed my diet since finding this site in August. Once or twice a week is about it. Once in a while, I will have a BM two days in a row, but not very often. I saw the doctor, and he said not to worry about it. So, I don't. Figure one of these days, my body might adjust to new diet. Or maybe saving on TP is part of the new diet.
  • lupuslady
    Options
    I am often in the same boat..... I use stool softners. I also eat a LOT of fruit, but I started baking whole wheat bread and eating at least one slice a day, and the problem stopped. Homemade bread has no preservatives. You may not be able bake your own bread, but maybe you could buy some at a local bakery, remember to freeze some of it. It will go bad. But I really believe the preservatives in some foods is what clogs me up, that and lettuce. I don't tolerate a lot of lettuce. But until you figure out what is causing your problems go get some stool softners and take them every morning
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    The same things happen to me. Some of the things I have noticed that work the best are:
    -Drinking 8 glasses of water a day (It helps soften the food and flush it out)
    -Exercise (It moves everything around down there)
    -Cut the dairy
    -Drink prune juice
    -Hot Tea throughout the day and especially in the morning and at night.

The only thing I do NOT suggest is eating a lot of extra food. I have been so backed up before that even though I was hungry, if I ate something I felt like I needed to throw up because nothing would move out the back end and there was nowhere else for my food to go.

Good luck!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Actually this has happened to me and once I ate a big bunch of food It all came out! All that fiber and low cal means not so much to come out. A double dose of spaghetti seemed to do the trick!

I guess I didn't zero in on my point well. If you are dong everything right, and you seemed to have already followed every suggestion here, and still feel constipated, then lower your fiber! Or just be patient.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like i'm just going to have to sit and wait this one out. It's just really frustrating when I've got exams coming up next week and all I can think about is my bowel hoarding everything I eat. What the hell is it doing - saving for winter?! Just let go already!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    well if ya really want to go warm soy milk does it for me...u can try whole milk
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've had the same thing happen and it's beyond frustrating. I agree with the poster who suggested upping your water intake and exercising.

Oh and my mother-in-law swears by drinking lukewarm water with lemon morning and night. :)
  • Deemom8
    Deemom8 Posts: 21
    Options
    As I have gotten older, I have noticed this problem also. I eat one prune a day and eat a fiber cereal every morning. It has helped me stay regular.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I will try the luke warm water, even if it does sound yicky!
    I suppose it doesn't help that i have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I've never been THIS backed up before though - not to the point of annoying me like this.
  • smilestb99
    Options
    I am just going to throw this out there- have you ever been tested for gluten intolerance? I was told I had IBS when I was 21, and it took 8 years to get diagnosed correctly with gluten intolerance. That's one of the major issues I had (or the other way around). It's extremely common these days and it's usually misdiagnosed by regular physicians. I didn't find out what was going on with me until I went to a naturopathic doctor and she ran food allergy tests on me. I noticed a huge difference right away just getting off gluten. This might not be your problem, but don't rule it out! :wink:
  • aeevr
    aeevr Posts: 34
    Options
    i hate to say it because I really need to quit, but coffee is the only thing that works for me.
  • onehicchic
    Options
    Take mirlax, follow directions. I'm sure changing your diet has changed your BM. It does help drinking hot tea or coffee in the morning.
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Are you taking calcium supplements? If so, cut those out for a few days.