Help me choose my workout program

Options
So I am 10 days away from finishing the 30DS and if I keep on track the way I have I will be down about 8 lbs. YAY ME!!!

However, I still will have about 40 lbs to go and I need to pick a new program to start after this is done. The problem is, I have too many workout programs to choose from. Yes I know, horrible problem to have :wink:

I own or have access to these programs:
P90x
P90x3
Chlean Extreme
Turbo Fire
Insanity
Supreme 90 day
X-factor: ST

I am currently 6' 0", 203 lbs, 28 years old and carry my weight in my stomach and arms. I am good at cardio considering the extra weight that I carry but upper and core strength is a big weakness of mine. I have been fit before and have done at least a little bit of all of these programs at some point and feel I could tackle any of them reasonably well.

I would like to do a program that includes both strength training and cardio. I wouldn't mind doing a hybrid of 2 or more of these workouts if that would get me what I need. I know that any of these programs done right will keep me going in the right direction, but it is difficult to choose which one to do.

Any thoughts or suggestions on where I should go from here? Thanks :smile:

Replies

• macho_Tony
    Options
    I would look into the Athlean-X program as well.
  • satan__
    satan__ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What I would personally recommend would be to skip the gimmicky HIIT workouts and adopt a mixed cardio and weightlifting routine.

First of all I'd say you should calculate your calories you need for weight maintenance aka your TDEE

you can calculate that here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Take the above calculated number and subtract 500 from that, and you are set to HEALTHILY loose about 1lb a week so long as you don't cheat your calories.

Now that you have your diet somewhat figured out we get to actual exercise.

What I would reccomend for females is 4 workout days a week, 2 lifting, 2 cardio.

Say monday you would do legs and do the following:

Barbell squats 3*5
    Calf Raises 3*F
    Glute Press 3*12
    Leg Extensions 3*12
    Leg Curls: 3*12

Tuesday could be a rest day

Wednesday you could do some cardio for atleast half an hour be it running, cycling, swimming whatever floats your boat.

On Thursday you would train upperbody, I'd recommend something like

Barbell Curls 3*8
    Pull ups: 3*F
    Skullcrushers 3*12
    Deadlifts 3*5
    Dumbbell Press: 3*8

Then you could rest on friday again

Finally on saturday you could do more cardio and rest on sunday.

This technique of cardio and lifting with proper diet, is basically a time tested surefire way to slim down on bodyfat while building toned muscle that wont get flabby like most people do after losing weight. Unless you have strangely high levels of testosterone you wont really get big so no need to worry about that. So basically if you do something similar to that with some mild variation to your personal choice you should be set.
  • lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    So I am 10 days away from finishing the 30DS and if I keep on track the way I have I will be down about 8 lbs. YAY ME!!!

However, I still will have about 40 lbs to go and I need to pick a new program to start after this is done. The problem is, I have too many workout programs to choose from. Yes I know, horrible problem to have :wink:

I own or have access to these programs:
    P90x
    P90x3
    Chlean Extreme
    Turbo Fire
    Insanity
    Supreme 90 day
    X-factor: ST

I am currently 6' 0", 203 lbs, 28 years old and carry my weight in my stomach and arms. I am good at cardio considering the extra weight that I carry but upper and core strength is a big weakness of mine. I have been fit before and have done at least a little bit of all of these programs at some point and feel I could tackle any of them reasonably well.

I would like to do a program that includes both strength training and cardio. I wouldn't mind doing a hybrid of 2 or more of these workouts if that would get me what I need. I know that any of these programs done right will keep me going in the right direction, but it is difficult to choose which one to do.

Any thoughts or suggestions on where I should go from here? Thanks :smile:

I've done a handful of these...

P90x is a solid program... equal parts cardio and strength training...
    P90x3 - half hour runs, but true to Tony Horton's philosophy
    Insanity - Far less strength, quite an intense cardio program. Focus on technique, 'cause false steps with this one and you can injure yourself pretty easily
    (Shaun T - of Insanity - also has Asylum and T-25. Asylum is apparently a more intense Insanity, and T-25 is a 25 minute version of Insanity. I dig T-25)
    Supreme 90 day - it's uh... with all due respect... a little dry. Felt like the "cast" had never worked with the trainer, and oft times did their own thing...
    If you have any interest in an MMA style workout, I would check out Tapout XT - one of my favorites (but martial arts are my thing).
  • kittikat1119
    kittikat1119 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! That MMA workout looks fun. I love kickboxing type stuff, but money is really tight right now and I have a gazillion workouts, so no spending more money for me.

I am really needing something I can do at home while my youngest is sleeping, so getting a gym membership is out for me (because of money as well). What I really want is Body Revolution by Jillian Michaels because getting my butt kicked in 30 minutes has been great with 30 DS and I want more of it.

What I am leaning toward right now is a Turbofire / Chalean Extreme hybrid. I have done it before and had great results, just kinda wanted to change it up a bit and do a combo I have never done.

Is anyone seeing a more interesting hybrid out of these workouts that includes both cardio and strength? Hoping someone can point out the forest through the trees for me. I just can' t see something I can really get excited about.....