Post workout pain – remedies required

Options
Looking for advise/remedies to combat post workout pain. I have the usual achy joints following cardio but recently I have been suffering with shin pains, following walking/jogging. I have used arnica oil in the past which has been ok, but looking for something which is more than ok. Whether it be a bath soak, lotion, massage oil, just need something that works, as the pain can be so bad that I can’t /don’t feel like doing anything the following day.

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    Google shin splints. You might need physio or rest.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options

This! Also, I don't consider it normal to have achy joints after cardio. I don't, and I'm 68. So, I think you're either really overdoing it, and need to build up your exercise tolerance gradually, or there is something going on with your joints. Have you talked to your doctor about this? If not, I really encourage you to do so, to make sure you're healthy enough to perform your exercise program.
  • debsfran
    debsfran Posts: 97 Member
    Options

This! Also, I don't consider it normal to have achy joints after cardio. I don't, and I'm 68. So, I think you're either really overdoing it, and need to build up your exercise tolerance gradually, or there is something going on with your joints. Have you talked to your doctor about this? If not, I really encourage you to do so, to make sure you're healthy enough to perform your exercise program.

I have a problem with my foot due to a botched operation. have been advised that I over compensate due to this. i am looking into getting custom made orthotics (currently wearing the standard ones provided by the hospital.

The aches/pains normally occur when i jog/run. I know my weight is not helping -vicious circle really - exercising to lose weight, exercising impacts on joints. Just looking for something to soothe muscles/joints following workouts
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If you keep running, it may lead to a stress-fracture of your shin. I'd seek other ways to lose weight, like walking, cycling, strength training, and, of course, eating fewer calories.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    fix the problem, not the pain
  • debsfran
    debsfran Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you keep running, it may lead to a stress-fracture of your shin. I'd seek other ways to lose weight, like walking, cycling, strength training, and, of course, eating fewer calories.

Thanks for this. Think I may stick to Zumba, walking & add in cycling. I cannot afford anymore restricting injuries. I'm 5ft 6", 13st and I have my daily calories set to 1400.

Aldo thanks, Davpul. Problem I thought was my weight, so thought losing would combat the problems. Just realised I may be going at it the wrong way:cry:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i dunno if it's the weight. i'm about 70 pounds overweight and i run, sprint, jump rope, squat post parallel, etc and have never had issues with my joints. JOINT pain post exercise is NOT normal. i know that you said you had a botch surgery so that probably means you will need to be extra diligent in your form.

as far as running goes, proper form and wearing the appropriate footwear for your gait (not necessarily for your weight) will help a lot. until you get the custom made thingies maybe try taking your run to a pool if you have access to one. pool running can be a good workout but it's also low impact.

for post workout muscle aches (not joints) i like taking hot baths and foam rolling or massage.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    As stated before this a discussion to have with your Dr - In the meantime deep stretching & Epsom salt baths may help relieve some of the pain.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Good advice above; however, to answer your original question about pain, I use mustard. You can google how to make a plaster or just dissolve a tablespoon of good quality mustard powder in a warm bath and soak. For smaller joints, I make a cup of chamomile tea and lay the teabag on the joint to help relieve inflammation.

I have an autoimmune disease so fixing the problem isn't going to happen. I will be dealing with pain for the rest of my life. I refuse to let it win. It's better when I am working out and now that I have lost the weight I needed to lose it's much more manageable.

Lower impact classes than Zumba May be better until you lose some of the weight as well. I take a Barre toning class that uses dance exercises and free weights once a week. It's low impact, but very effective at targeting my hips, thighs and waistline.

Good luck.
  • macho_Tony
    Options
    Take a magnesium supplement. Most people are deficient, plus you lose mag when you exercise. Magnesium oil might also help if you have certain trouble spots.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My body is often achy after working out, but not really in my joints (although my knees will hurt if I do the wrong thing). I don't do Zumba because my knees can't handle the twists. When I party too hard, I'm sore the next day. I take two Advil. BAM!

The foam roller, steam room, jacuzzi, or massage also help me.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

There is a plan b. Physical adaptation, that means weathering the pain until your body adjusts. Took me over a year.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    For shin splints and muscle soreness, there is absolutely nothing like a foam roller. Seriously. They can be kind of pricey for a piece of foam, but I found one at TJ Maxx for about $12. It helped my shin splints enormously.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Heh, some rollers are something else.

You totally have to try this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Performance-Revolutionary-Roller/dp/B0040EGNIU
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Shin splints - You may be doing too much too fast. Back off on the running a bit and Google for some specific stretches that should help.

Muscle soreness - Epsom salt baths with a little lavender oil. Magnesium in the salts is absorbed through the skin. The lavender is soothing. Heavenly...