I Don't Recommend This for Everyone...

Options
Greetings all,

I'm in the Northeast of the US and, right now, it's sub-freezing temperatures with some pretty biting windchill. Ever since I read that intelligent exposure to cold can actually increase calorie burning, I've been giving it a shot. When I go walking, usually 2-3 miles, I wear a simple shirt and hoodie, along with plain old jeans (no thermals at all). I do focus, however, on keeping the hands and head warm... even have a hat that covers my face. Those, to me, are the most essential to keep warm but the rest of me gets heated up by the exercise very quickly and before I know it, it's not even cold to me anymore.

When I'm done, I feel exhilirated and the warmth and inner furnace sensation go on inside me for the rest of the day.

Anyone else try this? It's definitely not for everyone.

Eric

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    good lord no way, i hate the cold
  • marrieandfive
    Options
    Greetings all,

I'm in the Northeast of the US and, right now, it's sub-freezing temperatures with some pretty biting windchill. Ever since I read that intelligent exposure to cold can actually increase calorie burning, I've been giving it a shot. When I go walking, usually 2-3 miles, I wear a simple shirt and hoodie, along with plain old jeans (no thermals at all). I do focus, however, on keeping the hands and head warm... even have a hat that covers my face. Those, to me, are the most essential to keep warm but the rest of me gets heated up by the exercise very quickly and before I know it, it's not even cold to me anymore.

When I'm done, I feel exhilirated and the warmth and inner furnace sensation go on inside me for the rest of the day.

Anyone else try this? It's definitely not for everyone.

Eric

It's never that cold here, but I do go jump on the trampoline in a t-shirt sometimes when it's about 32 degrees.
  • hessoftexas
    hessoftexas Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was too chicken to go walking before work last week, but you've inspired me to just get on out there! THANKS!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    We get pretty cold here in Utah (granted, it's a dry cold, but nevertheless, it's cold!) and when I go for a jog, I just wear a light jacket with hood, head band to keep my ears warm, and sweat pants. I feel quite roasty toasty, even though I know my body is dealing with the cold.
  • hollyagl75
    Options
    Don't tell my Husband but I actually enjoy shoveling snow. I dress warm and I do feel invigorated after shoveling. I end up with a clear driveway and I burned a bunch of calories! We may not be able to run along the beach or go for jogs here in Central NY in January, but shoveling, skiing, sledding, and snow shoeing are all great calorie burners.
  • Akronite0883
    Options
    I might give that a try now, but I would probably wear shorts instead
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Wahhh it's blowing snow here in Toronto- NO WAY
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I also like to get out and shovel snow too. I want to say that I've read somewhere that drinking really cold water gives a little boost as well since your body has to work a little harder to warm up the insides...not sure if it is true but I'd be much more willing to grab an ice water than head outside on a cold and snowy day ;-)
  • Uronlydreaming
    Uronlydreaming Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    good lord no way, i hate the cold
    haha, it's definitely an experience you have to work your way into if you're not naturally ok with it... i just think the harsh elements make me stronger. If you have your favorite tea waiting for you at the end, it can be a little easier on your mind, anyways. ;)
    It's never that cold here, but I do go jump on the trampoline in a t-shirt sometimes when it's about 32 degrees.
    Please forgive me, but I just can't help it... I would walk a hundred miles to see that. ;) In any case, I think that's a great way to have fun and to motivate yourself. I gotta check how much trampolining burns, thanks.
    I was too chicken to go walking before work last week, but you've inspired me to just get on out there! THANKS!
    Let me know how it goes, would you? Just plan wisely. For example, I don't walk 5 miles out into the wilderness (ok, i did, but I def dont recommend that!), just go out 1 mi so its only a mile back... or park and do a loop around a large business complex. That way, you have quick access back to your warm car, or a place you can dodge inside if you over estimated your ability to tolerate the cold.

I think you'll find it invigorating... drink a hot bev, even, just before going out... makes a diff...

Best to you all, thanks for the support,
    Eric
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I live in Michigan and I saw some guy running in bicycle shorts a couple weeks ago. I thought he was nuts.

I personally wouldn't try it. I get sick way to easy.
  • Uronlydreaming
    Options
    Wow, glad to see there's other's who enjoy the cold, or are willing to brave it for some invigoration and (a LITERAL) change of pace. ;) I'll reply more when I get back, heading out now, but thanks for the sharing, insight and support.

Eric
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you are smart about protecting against frostbite this would be good for anyone. Now I just have to tell myself to bundle up and do it, not just wait until I have to shovel snow! :smile:
  • Uronlydreaming
    Options
    Nice to hear from you all. I just did another 1.2 miles tonight at midnight, with a head cold in 16F weather. ;) Did wear the WARM jacket, though. ;)