Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Any other diabetics?

2»

Replies

• Hi. I was surprisingly diagnosed with a near fatal level Type 2 on 10 April 2014 (A1C 15). Also with a cholesterol panel over 400. And I weight 106 pounds. My doctor says I am the healthiest looking unhealthy person she has ever seen, and I have the highest A1C she has ever treated in 30 years of practicing medicine. So, the diagnosis has changed my life. Doc and I are trying to drastically lower my numbers without insulin (last resort). She put me on an extreme diet of no sugar, very very little carbs (no rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, only 1 1/2 fruits a day, no booze), and lean proteins. And exercise, despite feeling incredibly lethargic for months prior to my diagnosis.

But, I'm slowly getting healthier! My 30 day lab work showed my A1C dropped to 13. My 60 day lab work showed it dropped to 12.6. And Doc said I've made quantum leaps with my cholesterol panel. My energy had gone WAY up after getting put on metformin and lipitor -- higher than it has been in a couple of years. But, it's dropped a bit since a) getting put on an ACE inhibitor for my kidneys, and/or b) getting my lipitor dosage doubled a few weeks ago. Still better than I was at and before diagnosis.

Oh, and my doctor wants me to gain weight on this extremely lean diet!???? I only weight 106 pounds, but it's still within (at the very bottom of) my recommended weight range and BMI. I'm trying to gain weight through healthy no-sugar fats like avocadoes and peanut butter.

Forgive me in advance, but is your doctor sure you're not an adult onset type 1? On a strict low carb diet and Metformin with your A1C at 12.6 (that is about an average BG of 315), that is still really high! I feel like a jerk even questioning you about that, but that's insane to me. Good luck to you and I hope you reach your goals!

That was also my thought. You might like to compare what happened to me on diagnosis. I live in France,
    I presented with 'mild' DKA, a fasting glucose of 385(don't know HbA1c), weighing 52kg.(following weight loss) My cholesterol was also sky high . I was 53 years old.
    I was hospitalised, put straight onto insulin. If it had been type 2, they would have changed the treatment once my glucose levels were lowered. They tested for antibodies and C peptide and with GAD antibodies and a low c peptide, my diagnosis was T1 probably LADA (which develops slowly) . I was put onto a basal/bolus regime ie an injection of insulin for background needs and one for each meal which I could vary according to exercise or what I ate.
    My cholesterol was high because of the breakdown of body fat and within 2 months it normalised and I very quickly gained control. I think my 3 month HbA1c after diagnosis was just over 6%.
    Nine years later, I use an insulin pump, have an HbA1c of 5.9%, have run marathons; just to show that I can. ( I ended up on here because my vivofit pedometer now synchronises with this site so I started reading the posts out of interest)