Beef Liverrrrr!!!

Options
meganjcallaghan
meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
I'm thinking about grabbing some of this and trying it out because my iron tends to be low....anybody ever cooked this and has a good recipe or can give me tips on how one cooks this to taste the best?

Replies

• apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Let it soak in milk for a few hours, or overnight. then coat with flour and salt/pepper and pan fry! Top with sauteed mushrooms and onions... Yummy!!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Let it soak in milk for a few hours, or overnight. then coat with flour and salt/pepper and pan fry! Top with sauteed mushrooms and onions... Yummy!!

My mom made it like this also , but she cooked bacon first and fried with the liver.. .. Maybe if you don't like it try iron pills..
  • badbradley
    badbradley Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I second this method. It's the way grandma and mom did it.

I would also advise double checking for any gristle on the meat and cutting it out before cooking. You may end up with medallions but the above method is still the way to cook it.

Depending on the thickness of the cut beef liver can cook quickly. Overcooked liver is tough and not very good so take it out of the pan when it may still seem to be 'almost' done and let it rest for a minute or two. It will finish cooking while resting.

We also make a fake pate by finely chopping or grinding up cooked liver and mixing it with a tablespoon or so of some good mustard, chopped green onions, thyme and some finely chopped sweet pickle (plus some salt and pepper). Let the mixture chill in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Serve with saltine crackers (they aren't all that high in calories) and at room temperature or slightly chilled.
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    ooh. i think i shall have to try both of these suggestions.

what does soaking it in milk do?
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Soaking in milk gets the 'gamey' taste out and tenderizes the meat.
    I use buttermilk and only buy the calf liver, but cook it the way others mentioned (either in bacon fat or floured and salt and pepper). The caramelized onions are a must :)

p.s. If you use calf liver, you only have to soak it about an hour (I take it straight from the freezer).
  • parkparksarah
    Options
    I like livers. Usually I cooked them with minced garlic, soysoace, chili and sugar :)
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    well. I always say "don't knock it til you try it" and "i'll try everything once"......tried it. not happening again. lol.
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    well. I always say "don't knock it til you try it" and "i'll try everything once"......tried it. not happening again. lol.

Awww, I'm sorry it didn't work out for ya!
    I WISH there were some foods I found 'uck', lol... I truly eat everything, sheesh. Except flour tortillas, for some reason those gross me out.
    I was just fantasizing about liver last night, haha!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    All I can offer is this; our family dogs ate well when I was a kid. Cannot stand the smell, texture, taste of beef liver. Someone referenced bacon so I'd suggest eating bacon and taking a pill for iron deficiency or eating ANYTHING other then liver. Best of luck. . . .blech.
  • CindyVincett
    Options
    Liver was a staple in our house when I was growing up, and I love it even today, though it is high in cholesterol, so I limit my consumption. There are iron rich veggies if you cannot handle the taste. I always cook baby beef liver. I do not soak it in milk, I dredge it through flour that has been seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper. Fry on high heat turning frequently to prevent from getting tough. Also, remove from heat just before well cooked and let rest for a few minutes. Well prepared liver you should almost be able to cut with a fork. Side dishes that go well with liver are the starchy/sweet veggies, mashed potato...sauteed onions. And one strange thing I totally love with liver....pickled beets!! The sweet/spicy taste of the beets really seems to blend well with the liver.
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    yeah, I suspect I overcooked it, but I just can't bring myself to take it out of the pan when I keep seeing more blood seep up out of it even after it's gotten to the point where the flour I put it in has totally burned. lol