New scale dilema:

Options
Since I got a new scale last month, I've been wondering what to do. It weighs me about 7.5 pounds more than the old one. Should I:

a) edit my previous weights UP 7.5 pounds and log it as the new scale shows, and deal with the 13 pounds to goal instead of 6?
b) wait until I get down to where I was on the old scale to log in a new weight? or
c) log it as it is without editing previous weights and deal with a "weight gain" on my profile?

The old one was a spring-type scale, and the new one is digital which is actually closer to what I weigh at the Dr. I'm guessing the new one is accurate. So, if I DO enter my actual weight, should I go back and edit my previous weights up 7+ pounds? I KNOW I've lost 27+ pounds, regardless of which scale I used.

Replies

• marrieandfive
    Options
    I think you should do whatever makes you feel good, since you are the one who is going to notice and care about it. I'd probably edit it upward so it reflected my pounds lost.
  • doesgo
    doesgo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You know in your head you've lost what you've lost so the number doesn't really matter, but I went through the same thing and found that mentally the number DOES matter, so i adjusted my previous weights. It's nice to see the real losses and not see a lower number and adjust it in my head.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't do option C. That's taking away hard earned progress from yourself. You still lost the same amount of weight as you thought you did before, you just weigh more than you thought. I would revise it backwards and set your new goal to 13 pounds, so option A.
  • LaurenRose2011
    Options
    Option A is the one I would choose because it has the least potential for psychological setback. Option B could lead to anxiety if, for some reason, you are unable to lose the 7.5 lbs in a time period that is adequate to you, and Option C could lead to more anxiety just by seeing a "weight gain". You will know that you haven't really gained that weight, but the possibility of your subconscious processing it as though you have is there, and could lead to a setback.

Also, when you weigh on a digital scale you should be sure to monitor feet placement. Your feet should be more to the center of the platform than to the side. If your device has the feet outlines then you should be sure to place them accordingly. Another weird tip is to weigh multiple times per weigh in with a digital scale until you see 2 weights repeated in succession. Digital scales can and have displayed inaccurate weights on the first try. ;)

I hope this helps ya hun, and I am sure you will reach your goal soon. :)
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was holding on to option "b" for this past month, but getting tired of not logging my progress. I was kind of figuring I should go for option "a", so That's what I'll do. A few numbers will change, but I know that "I" haven't changed. I am still losing weight. On a positive note, this just means when I reach my goal, I will have lost 40 pounds instead of just 33!
  • tessjordan88
    Options
    Also, when you weigh on a digital scale you should be sure to monitor feet placement. Your feet should be more to the center of the platform than to the side. If your device has the feet outlines then you should be sure to place them accordingly. Another weird tip is to weigh multiple times per weigh in with a digital scale until you see 2 weights repeated in succession. Digital scales can and have displayed inaccurate weights on the first try. ;)

I hope this helps ya hun, and I am sure you will reach your goal soon. :)

I apparently got a really good digital scale, because it is very consistant and weighs me the same when I double- and triple-check it. The only time it was off was funny because it said I weighed 68.4 pounds & I freaked out! I lifted the scale, and somehow a ponytail holder was underneath it. LOL!! I moved that and put it back down & it weighed me right.
  • danmullen
    Options
    As long as you know how well you've done, I don't think it matters much. For motivational purposes, I suppose going back and editing your previous weights is a good idea :)
  • tessjordan88
    Options
    Whew! That's done! I'm just glad it doesn't post a status about weight gain! LOL!! I know it brags on you when you lose!