LADIES ONLY - Trying not to panic but...

Options
Hey guys,

I didn't know where else to post this but since i think my issue is related to my weight loss I figured this was the right board. :P

So I'm thinking my hormones are all messed up because of this process. I've lost closer to 15lbs now (153 - 138) in a little less than 3 months. I'm eating around 1200 - 1300 calories and exercising 6 days a week which is something my body has never done before. At least i've never eaten that low amount of calories. The last time I got my period was May 21st. However, yesterday I started getting this brown discharge and then a couple hours later it started looking like normal period blood but then turned back into the brown discharge about an hour later. Then, I started passing what I'm assuming are blood clots (black, slimy looking things lol). I just went to the bathroom and a lot of them came out. I am due for my period assuming I skipped last month. My only other symptoms are headaches, mild cramping, breast sensitivity, (normal PMS symptoms).

My question is, have any of you guys noticed your menstural cycle/hormones going completely out of whack with your change of diet/weight loss? Should I call a doctor or is this just my body having a freak out? Google is either telling my I'm pregnant (which I KNOW I'm not unless i'm carrying the next Jesus), I'm pre-menopausal (I'm only 19), or I have cancer xP

Again, trying not to panic too much but it's a little worrying.

Any advice would be great thanks :)

Also, my periods have never once been "regular" they range on average from 30-36 days normally. But this has never happened to me before.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Please go to the doctor.
  • lcangelini
    lcangelini Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks, will do. I'll call tomorrow xP
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Please go to the doctor.

^^
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    call your doctor if your concerned.

brown is generally old blood
    clots aren't too unusual either

http://www.webmd.com/women/guide/menstrual-blood-problems-clots-color-and-thickness

But as I said above, call your doctor if your concerned.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Call your gyno! Now! , I'm sure they have an on call service.
    Could just be extra bleeding post a missed cycle but could also be that you missed because you were preggers and that what's happening now is a miscarriage.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Never google!

Do you have endometriosis? I do and I get weird clotty periods sometimes.

I'd drink a LOT of water and lay down for a bit. If you're still having symptoms in a few hours go to the doctor, unless you think you should go to a doctor now, in which case you should go to a doctor NOW.
  • sdkyne
    sdkyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Get checked for Fibroids when you go to the doctor. Nothing serious, but a pain the *kitten*.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Are you a virgin? What kind of exercises did you do? Anything like horseback riding?
  • lcangelini
    Options
    I KNOW i'm not pregnant. I"m a virgin :P

I've never been diagnosed with endo, but i'll give the doctor a call.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    To the doctor with you. At least call the consulting nurse and see what she says. Don't panic, though. I bet you're fine. Unless you're having some kind of major cramping I wouldn't worry too much. Cycles get weird sometimes. Hang in there!
  • lcangelini
    Options

Yeah I honestly have little other symptoms. Very mild cramping and mild headaches and that's about it. Not tired, no change in appetite, or anything else.
  • jbrixe00
    jbrixe00 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've always had normal on time periods and in February it never came... was 50 something days late but I had taken pregnancy tests all negative. Went to the dr and got a blood test - negative. Dr gave me a script for some pills to help start my period. Next month came along and I was 6 1/2 weeks late (was supposed to take pills at 6 weeks after taking a preg test) and I didn't take the pills because I hadn't picked them up yet and I started on my own and had a heavier period. I've lost 69 lbs in a little less than a year (45 since January).
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Could just be extra bleeding post a missed cycle but could also be that you missed because you were preggers and that what's happening now is a miscarriage.

this.

Go to a doctor if this - ANY of this - is super unusual for you.
  • gogigi333
    gogigi333 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    googling your symptoms is the quickest way to freak yourself out. I've done this, google suggests all sorts of horrible possibilities, but then a doctor visit will suggest something more mundane. My friend had weird periods like that, she had brownish discharge because she didn't menstruate every month. Just natural for her to be irregular. See your doctor for peace of mind.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    These symptoms should be reserved for your doctors ears IMO.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm usually irregular, so something like this wouldn't seem that out of place in my life. If I miss a period, the next one is always unpredictable. This sounds extra clott-y and it may be time to call, but i wouldn't worry too much.

If you think your dieting is changing your hormones, I would ask for a hormone test/screen that would give you better information. Perhaps you need to be a bit less aggressive (but still making progress!).
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It is possible your hormones are getting balanced. I noticed when i increase my exercise significantly it messes with my hormones, in a good sense. I feel my body starting to function again and the body adjusts.
    Especially with lower abdomen exercises, and some thigh exercises, the reproductive areas get more blood there, the circulation increased and when it was a very intense exercise, period can come within 24-48hrs whether its due or not.
  • lcangelini
    Options
    These symptoms should be reserved for your doctors ears IMO.

Yeah I know, but I didn't want to call if it was something I shouldn't worry about :P
  • lcangelini
    Options

this.

Go to a doctor if this - ANY of this - is super unusual for you.

Well my periods have ALWAYS been unusual haha and I've had blood clots before. It just seemed odd that they were happening before my period actually started
  • ryliery
    ryliery Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes! same thing happened to me. It eventually went back to normal.