Herbal life.......

Hi all x

I know not everyone agrees with shake diets but I'm bored of trying to eat healthy and not getting anywhere x I need to limit the freedom of what I eat, and just maybe shakes will work to start me of.......

Is anyone else doing this?
If so how are you finding it?

Replies

• YamaMaya1
    YamaMaya1 Posts: 49 Member
    I remember herbal life from when I was a teenager, I had a friend who's mom sold it. Looking back now, it really seems like pyramid scheme junk and probably not entirely nutritionally balanced enough. I could be wrong though, do your research if you're unsure.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Define "eating healthy" and I guarantee I can tell you why you're bored... and you won't be bored if you do it right.

As far as gimmick shakes, NO. Waste of money.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I thought this was about sometin else, mon....
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    My mum got me some of that stuff when I was a kid and gave it to me in the form of "breakfast smoothies" I not only did not lose the weight but I fainted at the middle of PE since I had not eaten anything but that stupid shake.

Then I turned out getting some liver problems from taking it. She sure regrets giving me that stuff.

So no, don't.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    You are bored of trying to eat healthy??? I think that is the real issue! How do you propose to maintain any weight loss if you are too bothered to make healthy choices? This is to be a life style, not a quick fix. In a world of thousands of healthy food options, I would suggest you put your thought into research & recipes. There is a recipe board here & lots of good sites on the internet that are credible. Find foods and activities that inspire you....kick the boredom & the fat to the curb. Start with a fresh mindset & know you are worth the time and effort!
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Because you won't get bored drinkig a shake?
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    My friend's an Herbalife distributor and tried to get me to buy. I tried one shake and decided it wasn't for me. It was expensive and didn't keep me full.

Besides, you still have to eat actual food while you're on it -- the plan is 2 shakes a day, plus 6 small meals. Without the meals, the $100-something month's supply will probably last you two weeks or less. Unless you plan on being on a complete liquid diet for the rest of your life (you'll likely regain any weight lost if you stop), you're going to have to learn how to eat right while keeping a variety of foods in your diet. Might as well save money and do it without the shakes.
  • XLau84X
    XLau84X Posts: 10
    Helenarriaza
    Really? That is pretty scary??
  • XLau84X
    Jenibethbu

Sorry I think I may have mislead you, I'm not bored of healthy eating, I'm bored of doing it and failing!
    I seem to have zero will power when left to the big world of junk food!

I haven't taken lightly to doing this type of diet, and by no means do I think I can live this way forever as I could afford it! Just want a push in the right direction x
  • XLau84X
    Goldmay

I have tested it and quite liked the shake?

I understand the process and I think it will just cut out the bad decisions at breakfast and lunch x
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Sorry I think I may have mislead you, I'm not bored of healthy eating, I'm bored of doing it and failing!

I haven't taken lightly to doing this type of diet, and by no means do I think I can live this way forever as I could afford it! Just want a push in the right direction x

So, if you can't go in the right direction now, why spend $100+ just to not learn anything and fall back into old habits? Just do this and save your money!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Vrotchadl
    Vrotchadl Posts: 1
    I too am going to give Herbal Life a try. I eat incredibly healthy but don't lose weight. So maybe this will help?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    I too am going to give Herbal Life a try. I eat incredibly healthy but don't lose weight. So maybe this will help?
    NO - DON'T DO HERBALIFE!!!!
    It's a multi-level marketing scheme, and all you'll lose is money.
    When you start eating real food again, unless you know how to handle it you'll regain the weight.
    Also, there are many documented accounts of people being seriously injured (such as the liver failure mentioned above).

Here's a whole page of information about the company, everything from court cases to testimonials from former users & distributers. Look near the bottom, under "journal articles" for more information about liver damage / failure.
    http://www.mlmwatch.org/04C/Herbalife/herbalife00.html
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

Solid first post.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member

So, if you can't go in the right direction now, why spend $100+ just to not learn anything and fall back into old habits? Just do this and save your money!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^this 100%
  • MKEgal
    For the people who say you're eating healthy and not losing weight, either you're taking in more calories than you're burning, or you have some strange metabolic problem & should see your doctor.
    Most often, it's the first situation.
    Be brutally honest about what & how much you're eating. Measure everything for a couple weeks - you may be overestimating.

"Healthy" does not necessarily equal "low calorie".
    I know someone who's vegetarian (might be vegan by now) yet still morbidly obese. All she eats are plant products, and surely those are healthy, right? But she's obviously eating more calories than she needs to run her body. Her 2 kids are the same way.

Eating low-cal doesn't have to be boring.
    Here's the Taste of Home site. EVERYTHING they have a recipe for is _delicious_.
    This page is their "healthy" recipes, and you can look at low-fat, low-carb, low-sodium, diabetic, and just general "healthy".
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/healthy-eating
    They give calories per serving, which is helpful in our situation.

And 2 suggestions about when to eat:
    1 - If you can, exercise first thing in the morning, before you eat. That way you're closer to using up your glycogen stores & starting to burn fat. That's what we want to get rid of, right?

2 - Eat most of your calories for breakfast (about half).
    This study compared eating a small breakfast, medium lunch, and large dinner, [200, 500, 700 cal]
    with eating a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner [700, 500, 200 cal].

"The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.

Here's the study summary: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957

Here's a PDF of the whole article.
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf
  • MKEgal
    This calculator will tell you not only your BMI, but how many servings of various foods to eat to maintain that weight.
    If you enter your healthy goal weight from a BMI chart [http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf ], this will help you plan your food intake.
    https://www.bcm.edu/research/centers/childrens-nutrition-research-center/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html
  • OregonBekah
    OregonBekah Posts: 8 Member
    Don't do it. My husband sold it for awhile. After he quit using the product he gained more weight than he lost and is having a hard time losing now. It is a pyramid scheme.

Get a Nutri Bullet and use fresh food and protein powder. A great way to lose weight and healthy. I prefer to chew my food so I don't have a shake very often but when I do, I find them filling and delicious.