Workout advice for 18 year old?

Options
Hello everyone! I'm 18 and ready to change my lifestyle. I started back in January but fell off in March. I really regret it now. I want to lose 100 pounds and my goal is to lose it in 5 months time. I don't want to hear anyone saying that it is impossible. Nothing is impossible if we really try.

This man has really motivated me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
so never say never!

I was just wondering if any of you could give me some advice on working out? I have a treadmill and elliptical bike at home. I am planning to get some games for my xbox that help weight loss. I am 260lb and 5'0 tall. To get to my goal, how exactly should I be going about this?

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Goals are great, but 100 pounds in so little time is probably not possible or at least sustainable.
    I recommend you watch what you eat very closely and get a great amount of real sweat inducing exercise, at least 5 days per week.

Best of luck to you.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Why 100lbs in 5 months? If you found the video inspiring, that's great but even the guy in that video only lost 70lbs in that time. He claims he lost 140lbs in 10 months, that's 14lbs per month, so x 5 months = 70lbs. Assuming weight loss is linear.

ETA: I'm 5ft too :-)

You should check this out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • fredgolder
    Options
    Drink cold water.

Ramp up, don't try to start high, because you will burn yourself out. Do 15 min on the treadmill, If that works, do 20 the next day. Drink cold water.

Don't get on the treadmill and walk until you can't go anymore. This will cause a large drop in your blood sugar level and cause massive cravings. Gradually increasing your duration will allow your body to acclimate to the increase activity level. Drink dold water

Same thing with your calorie restriction. Start at 1 LB/ week, then after the first week, change to 1.5 lbs / week, etc. Again the gradual change will be less shocking to your body, and you will be more likely to reach your 160 by the holidays.

oh and did I mention to drink cold water? your body has to spend energy to heat that water back up. Don't drink more than 32oz in an hour though. Too much water 2 quickly can cause acute health issues.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Drink cold water.

Ramp up, don't try to start high, because you will burn yourself out. Do 15 min on the treadmill, If that works, do 20 the next day. Drink cold water.

Don't get on the treadmill and walk until you can't go anymore. This will cause a large drop in your blood sugar level and cause massive cravings. Gradually increasing your duration will allow your body to acclimate to the increase activity level. Drink dold water

Same thing with your calorie restriction. Start at 1 LB/ week, then after the first week, change to 1.5 lbs / week, etc. Again the gradual change will be less shocking to your body, and you will be more likely to reach your 160 by the holidays.

oh and did I mention to drink cold water? your body has to spend energy to heat that water back up. Don't drink more than 32oz in an hour though. Too much water 2 quickly can cause acute health issues.

This is unbelievably ridiculous. The number of calories the body uses to warm up cold water is very negligible, and will not make enough of a difference. At least not enough of one to repeat "drink cold water" FOUR times.

And drinking water too fast will not cause "acute health issues", that is absurd. By all means if you enjoy your water cold, drink it cold. But don't let this person fool you into thinking it's some magical weight loss tool.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose that much weight that fast ... just not in a healthy manner. Time for you to make an adult decision ... do you want to lose weight in a healthy way or not?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Drink cold water.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous set of recommendations I've ever seen put in one post.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm 18 and ready to change my lifestyle. I started back in January but fell off in March. I really regret it now. I want to lose 100 pounds and my goal is to lose it in 5 months time. I don't want to hear anyone saying that it is impossible. Nothing is impossible if we really try.

so never say never!

I was just wondering if any of you could give me some advice on working out? I have a treadmill and elliptical bike at home. I am planning to get some games for my xbox that help weight loss. I am 260lb and 5'0 tall. To get to my goal, how exactly should I be going about this?

Not possible in a healthy manner, even if you don't want to hear it.

Certainly not only by changing exercise alone. The vast majority of weight loss comes from changing your diet. Exercise supplements it and helps maintain lean body mass during weight loss.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I know we've already talked about this, but you've got me worried so I'm going to say it again: It is not a matter of "believing," it is a matter of what is good for your body and what is bad for your body. Losing that much weight that fast is not safe. It's not healthy, and you won't be able to safely keep it off. You won't know how to transition to maintenance, you won't have developed any sustainable new habits, and you will do damage to your body that will stay with you for a very long time.

Slow and steady. This isn't a quick fix, it's a long-term investment in the ONLY thing you will ever have for your entire life - your body. Be good to yourself. Fuel yourself. Grow strong. Take your time.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options

so never say never!

Stretch before you work out, or you're going to be VERY sore!
    Remember your fluids (water or juiice) so you don't get dehydrated.
  • anotherghost
    Options
    Start weight training. I know you're trying to lose pounds, but gaining muscle mass helps with this. It increases your metabolic rate, and it will make you much more ABLE to exercise if you have strong legs, arms, chest, back, and core. I wish I'd known about weight training earlier, I always thought I should lose weight before I started strength training, but when I finally gave up running to losing pounds and began training for muscle I lost more fat than I had in a long time. Get into the free weights section in the gym, learn to do compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, and bench press. You'll be way ahead of other people your age and I guarantee you'll see results if you get on a good program like starting strength or stronglifts.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    If you truly want to change your lifestyle, then you won't try to lose 100 lbs in such a short time. What you WILL do is make changes that are sustainable for life - you know, the "life" part of lifestyle...

With that in mind - add exercises that you enjoy, with some resistance training to maintain your muscles (be it lifting or bodyweight exercises) and keep from having loose skin. Eat as much as you can while slowly losing weight, and learn some amazing habits that you can carry with you.. That would be 1-2 lb a week for 100 lbs. Once you get to 50 lb, try to lose around 1 lb a week. And at 20 lb, 1/2 lb a week.

This is coming from an oldie. I did stupid things in my teens and 20s around weight and wish I had a forum like this back then - I would have kept myself from an eating disorder and been healthier & happier back then, and not worrying about weight so much now. You have an adult choice - do it the quick way, which will most likely lead to a rebound effect, binge eating, etc. Or do it the slow and steady way and have the skills in place to stay fit for life.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose 100lbs in 5 months is a bad idea... You're setting yourself up for failure! Aim for 1lb per week, any extra is a bonus, it's about learning portion control and having a healthy lifestyle, not a quick fix!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    20lbs a month is a bad idea.

Eat well, train hard and let the timeframe sort itself out. Imposing a deadline, especially when you're so young and have all the time in the world, seems like a bad idea.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Drink cold water.

This is unbelievably ridiculous. The number of calories the body uses to warm up cold water is very negligible, and will not make enough of a difference. At least not enough of one to repeat "drink cold water" FOUR times.

And drinking water too fast will not cause "acute health issues", that is absurd. By all means if you enjoy your water cold, drink it cold. But don't let this person fool you into thinking it's some magical weight loss tool.

seconding this. Cold water and tricks aren't going to help you lose weight - being dedicated to logging and living a healthier lifestyle will.

Also, being 18 doesn't really matter. You can be any age and do the exact same exercises! Look into Blogilates or FitnessBlender on youtube to get you started.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Here's a question for you. Do you want your body to look awesome, or do you want loose skin and jiggliness? If you want the first option, then you SHOULD NOT try to lose that much, that fast. That will give you the second result. The goal should be to have a healthy and awesome body. Slow and steady.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Lower your expectations. 100 lbs in 5 months is much too aggressive and not healthy. You need to seriously re-evaluate this goal.

Eat at an appropriate calorie level for a person your size and just get moving. Walk. Hike. Dance. Do whatever tickles your fancy. It doesn't matter as long as it's something you can and will sustain.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Okay...I'm gonna ask...are you really 18? I ask because your profile says 24...

and 100 lbs in 5 mos is setting yourself up for failure.
  • smurfzilla
    smurfzilla Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Depending on a person's starting weight, diet, and activity level, starting a new fitness regime and a healthier diet/ lifestyle in general might have a high initial weight loss per week, but it will taper off. Aiming for 1-2 lbs a week is a reasonable goal. If you want your weight loss to last, you have to build a lifestyle to support it. That is why logging, especially when starting out, is important. It lets you see what exercises you're doing, what you're eating, and where you can do better. Best of luck to you. Most of the other posters have given good pointers.
    We're not trying to discourage you from losing weight by any means, but we're trying to make sure that you set yourself up for continued success in a healthy manner.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Drink cold water.

^this

Hurr
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE. Since you have so much to lose, you could stand to have as much as a 1,000 calorie deficit per day. As you lose weight you can decrease your deficit to -750, -500, etc.

Start out by stretching lightly and walking for 10 minutes per day, 4-7x per week. You can increase your walking time weekly. I recommend adding 10 minutes per week.

Once you are able to walk for an hour comfortably, start a mobility program like Agile 8 and a few easy yoga poses. At this point you can start considering a cardio program like C25K and a beginners strength training program like SL5x5.