Ladies w/big arms, where do you get shirts?

Options
I've had this problem as long as I can remember: shirts that fit my torso are waaaaaay to tight in the sleeves. I have naturally big arms and shoulders, and lifting weights has only made it more pronounced. (Before anyone goes all 'but women can't get bulky' - you ain't seen my arms squeezed into a cute top). Women's tops seem to be cut for people with arms like toothpicks so I have to get men's shirts that give me the shape of a flour sack.

I can't afford to buy larger sized and have them altered. And sleeveless shirts aren't an option, I can't wear them to work. Does anyone else have this problem? Any advice on brands or styles that worked for you?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Tank tops and halter tops.

I live in them- and stretchy shirts.

And blouses with cap sleeves with a button to release tension. Sometimes you gotta go up a size to fit the shoulders and then have the waist tailored.

I feel for you.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Try Lane Bryant. The store is specifically for plus-size women.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Try Lane Bryant. The store is specifically for plus-size women.

That's the problem... I'm not plus sized. I take a standard size medium or large in the body, it's just the sleeves that don't fit :(

Tank tops or cap sleeves are great on days off. I just have to find something more conservative for at work.... I guess maybe learn to sew and do the alterations myself?
  • Kowent
    Kowent Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I feel you pain. I have had this problem since I lifted weights for track and field in high school. Yes lane Bryant doesn't work. This is how I shop. I don't even take the cloths into the dressing room to try on. Standing right by the rack I stick my arm into the sleeve and pull it up to my bicep area. If it fits, I buy it. That is so sad. Seriously, I know the rest will fit, sometime they'll be a little big in the bust and torso, but at least I can move my arms.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I naturally have big arms and calves, too. It really sucks donkey b*lls to look for clothing. I feel your pain.
  • krogers810x
    krogers810x Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What about tank tops with wider straps (more sleeveless blouses than tanks) with a cardigan on top? If you get open-body cardigans that don't button but are supposed to flutter or just don't button them shut, then the shape of them won't matter as much and you can size up to accommodate your arms. You could then wear cute, fitted blouses that fit your shape but still have covered arms for work.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Would they allow to wear tanks and sleeveless tops with a scarf tied to cover your shoulders? Ponchos or shawls would work too as would a cardigan (if you can find one that fits!).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    For basic things like tee's, button down's, and polos I buy men's. They are cut a little more generous in the shoulders and arms than women's. When I want something a little more feminine, I look for styles that either have raglan sleeves or no sleeve seam and no cuffs. I have broad shoulders and long arms so most women's clothing that would be long sleeved on others ends up 3/4 sleeved on me. If I avoid cuffs it no longer matters.
  • jadekimbo
    jadekimbo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you tried tops with "flutter sleeves?" sometimes places like Kohl's will have tops that have layers of loose fabric attached at the shoulder that don't bind your arms. Look up flutter sleeves on google.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Any material that's stretchy.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    What about tank tops with wider straps (more sleeveless blouses than tanks) with a cardigan on top? If you get open-body cardigans that don't button but are supposed to flutter or just don't button them shut, then the shape of them won't matter as much and you can size up to accommodate your arms. You could then wear cute, fitted blouses that fit your shape but still have covered arms for work.

I love this idea! Thank you for the suggestion. The flutter-sleeves are also a great idea. I'm also relieved to know I'm not the only one who has trouble with this.
  • MaDwItNeWfLaVa
    MaDwItNeWfLaVa Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I buy my tees online at amazon.com I have the broad shoulder problem I also haaaate shirts that are too short in length so if thats another problem for you I would try this shirt "A.S Basic Scoop Neck Short Sleeve Cotton/Span Plain T- Shirts" its the best shirt ive ever owned. Girly fit, but made for athletic bodies. Only five bucks too. Also look for alegra k stuff on there, too have cute but loose fitting style, yet very flattering.