Introducing myself... lots of weight to lose!

Options
Hi, I just joined and am looking to hopefully make some friends for motivation and accountability :)

A little about me.. I'm 25, I live in Florida, I work full time and I'm a senior in college (can't wait to finally graduate someday lol.) I have 2 dogs that I love, I love animals! My weight has been an issue for me pretty much my entire life, but I never thought it would be quite THIS bad.

I was a chubby kid, lost some weight as a teenager and managed to stay around 140 pounds for a while (I'm 5'8 btw.) Then I met my now ex-husband and started gaining weight again. We got married when I was 21 and I was 170 pounds at that time. Then our relationship started to go way downhill and I began some major emotional eating. I was just sooo depressed and miserable and basically didn't care about anything. I just ate and ate and ate and that's how I got up to my highest weight ever of 303. So from 2010 to 2014 I gained 133 pounds. Seriously?? I never, ever thought I would weigh that much. But my ex and I divorced a few months ago and since then I've lost a tiny bit of weight, at 284 pounds today. That was without working out or even counting calories though, I have just been feeling a lot better so I haven't been binge eating like I was. So, now it's time to really start working at it :) I feel 10000 times better since we split up, I'm in a really good place mentally for the first time in a really long time and I'm ready to do this :):)

My goal weight is 140, subject to change based on how I feel and look once I start getting closer to that weight. Last time I was 140 I felt and looked good though. I'm trying hard to be positive, it's just a bit daunting that I have sooo far to go. Like why did I let this happen? I should have done something when I saw 150 on the scale.. or 160.. or 170.. but nope.. so here I go, I have no choice now but to do this :)

Replies

• Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    You can do this as long as you don't quit.
    Good luck to you.
  • Micke243
    Micke243 Posts: 6
    Options
    Welcome!

We are the same age and not too far apart on weight :)

Best of luck!
  • Vblessed23
    Vblessed23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I just started back this week and have not done wonderful, but I will not quit this time. I am 34 and weigh 255. This is the largest I have ever been. I have been in denial a long time. My father who is very healthy overall had a massive heart attack 3 weeks ago. It terrifies me. I have a husband and a 2 year old son. I have too much to live for not to get my health under control. I too am scared about this journey, but we can do it! I believe in you.
  • daniel9797
    daniel9797 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow! You have made the biggest step so far and joined MFP and realized that you need to do something. I am 6'3" and weight 340. I have 150+ pounds to lose and I will stick with it this time. I was always a chubby kid also. Good luck to you and feel free to add me.
    "No matter how slow you get there, you are still lapping everyone on the couch" One of my favorite quotes.
  • porkchop122
    Options
    You can do it. I plumped up after getting married. I had lost over 100lbs right before I met my wife and then due to good cooking, and honestly not really caring anymore, I gained a bunch back. And so did she. We started our life changing weight loss journey in January and since then she has lost 50lbs and is the smallest she has ever been. I still have a ways to go, as I ballooned up to 296lbs at 5'9. But as of this morning I was down to 225. There are many good websites that give excellent recipe options. I won't name them here as i think that violates the terms of posting, but you can email me on here and I can tell you.

You can do it. I thought I was going to be overweight forever. Now I know I can be healthy! Go girl, you got this.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Welcome, you can do this. Set mini goals for yourself, like 10 pounds at a time. Realize it's going to take time to lose the weight, but you're very young and time is on your side.

It's just calories in versus calories out. Try to eat healthier, but remember a calorie is a calorie whether it comes from carrots or cookies, protein, fat, or carbs. Just stay with MFP on your calorie count, be faithful about entering your food everyday, and start burning some calories thru exercise. Even a long walk does wonders.
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi there, welcome~ 303lb was the weight I was when I joined MFP, though 318lb was my absolute highest. Now I'm down to 227lb.

Just try to make healthier decisions and lose weight in a way you see yourself continuing forever, and you'll do great! Substitute in healthier versions of your favorite foods, learn to lighten them up. Try to make tracking food and exercising into habits, not something you make yourself do. And maybe some meditation or positive thinking exercises to improve your mental health. Remember that positive thoughts and positive energy can make a big difference in your life and emotional state!
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Welcome! So sorry to read about your struggles with your marriage. I'm glad you've joined MFP, and that you are feeling better about things. Good luck to you-- you CAN do this!
  • mamabearbartlett
    mamabearbartlett Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Welcome.. You can add me. I have been at this journey for a while, but I quit smoking and decided that I would ease up on what I was eating and my exercising so now I am a non-smoker for 206 days, and gained a lot of weight. I am slowly getting back into loosing weight. I am at 292 right now.
  • kansas_mom
    kansas_mom Posts: 16
    Options
    You and I are looking at pretty much the same weight loss goals!!! I will be sure to add you, and hopefully we can support each other along the strenuous road ahead. :) We can do this!!!!
  • DebiLui64
    DebiLui64 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Trying to get back on track. I recently started taking Synthroid for my thyroid and the weight just keeps piling on. I really need to lose atleast 40lbs...if not more. I have been really down about it but I have to try something, so here I am. I would really appreciate some encouraging words and advice, Thanks so much!
  • DJBootyBean
    DJBootyBean Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello! you can friend me if you'd like! my screen name is Mio_chan

I'm always open to support and to support others!

Good luck to everyone in their goals to lose weight! :D
  • CABasile
    CABasile Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I never thought I could lose weight, but with willpower, exercise and right eating, it is possible!

Feel free to friend me if you would like. (I've lost 60 lbs since March. Started at 308 lbs.) :smile:
  • Vupe
    Vupe Posts: 80
    Options
    Hey you can friend me if you want. I'm kinda a mamma bear in age to you but I feel like I am your age! So maybe more of a big sister. We can trade recipes or food tips. Plus, you can tell me what is going on in my Home State from time to time. Take Care now.
  • KKFR616
    KKFR616 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I just started my account here yesterday! You can do it! Work hard and keep yourself accountable.
  • misohoney
    misohoney Posts: 1
    Options
    I am 25 as well with 60 pounds to lose. What I have found that works that women don't like to do is lifting weights. If you are in a caloric deficit(which I'm assuming you are), ANY exercise will burn fat. But by lifting weights you are burning fat and firming up the muscles for definition. Since you are in a caloric deficit you most likely will not build a substantial amount of muscle, at least not enough to make the scale move much.

I wish you much success :)
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm 27 with about 60 more pounds to lose. I put on a lot of weight after a breakup also. Just started back on MFP about 2 months ago and have lost 15 pounds so far.

I wish you lots of success and you can add me if you'd like.
  • _myrahhh
    _myrahhh Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi and welcome!
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi! you can do it! Keep reading these forums to stay motivated. Count your calories and do a little bit of exercise, and you'll lose the weight. Feel free to add me :D
  • ksherma1
    ksherma1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone if you need support you can add me! We can motivate each other. Friends are always welcome!!