Bread and older women

Options
Good morning,

I just turned 50 last month and I am still struggling to lose about 60 pounds.:frown: I have tried all different types of diets but I get really messed up in my thinking that I need to cut down on bread and other carbs as I get older. I realize that there is a lot of debate about going low-carb. My dear mom lost 70 pounds by just following the calorie guidelines and adding occasional treats. My disabled son also lost 30 pounds at his residence by following a calorie-restricted diet (under dietican supervision). I would love to hear from older ladies and gents who have lost weight without cutting out there favourite foods. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating less than you burn.

I'm less hungry when I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore carbs & fats. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

The Sexypants post should be required reading for all MFPers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Edited to add that I'm 46.
  • gummibear64
    gummibear64 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks editorgrrl. I am just wondering if I need to be at 1200 calories just to make things start moving. It kind of "freaks" me out to go really low-cal.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    To lose 58 lbs., set your goal no higher than 1.5 lb. per week.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would focus on the basics-- calories in vs. out-- and try to avoid the myths. Bread isn't evil, it's kind of calorie dense is all. Have it if you want it. I'd usually choose something more filling for the same calories but sometimes you gotta have bread. 1200 isn't needed and you don't need to jump start losses.

I'm 49 and have lost 50lbs. one year in this decade on WW and then lost 35lbs. one year with calorie counting/Fitbit. Both got me to goal weight. Though maintaining isn't my strong suit! I'm 10 lbs. overweight now, so I get smaller 'swings' each time. It's possible!

Good luck!
  • gummibear64
    Options
    There is just so much confusing information out there. I guess I am just really tired of depriving myself of foods that I have grown up with and rather enjoy. I read somewhere that there is no such things as bad foods just bad portions.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I am just really tired of depriving myself of foods that I have grown up with and rather enjoy. I read somewhere that there is no such things as bad foods just bad portions.
    Eat "good" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal.

Deprivation can lead to bingeing.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    There is just so much confusing information out there. I guess I am just really tired of depriving myself of foods that I have grown up with and rather enjoy. I read somewhere that there is no such things as bad foods just bad portions.
    I'm in my late 40s. When I was losing weight, I went through a phase where I absolutely HAD TO have a bigass cookie from Paradise Bakery every day. Another phase where I was hooked on frozen yogurt and ate a big cup of it every day. Another phase where all I wanted for breakfast was sammiches with ham and cheese on sourdough bread. I worked these and other tasty foods into my calories and I kept losing weight.

I've been maintaining my weight for over a year... I regularly enjoy sandwiches, fries, ice cream, cookies, pizza, ribs, and other delicious "forbidden" foods. I just don't have them all at once.

So no, you don't have to deprive yourself of your favorite foods in order to lose weight. Nor do you have to restrict yourself to 1200 calories. Read the sexypants thread... Set a reasonable calorie deficit... Do some resistance training to maintain your lean mass... Choose foods that make you happy while meeting your nutrient needs... Profit.
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    At 50 you're still a long way from being old. Don't let your age discourage you.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think that last is good info. Eat the foods you enjoy, just watch your calorie intake overall. Make them fit. You probably can't eat at your favorite BBQ joint 3 times a week but maybe twice a month, y'know?

Sometimes it's not as hard as you think. I avoided pizza for weeks thinking it was too high calorie. But it's fine if I have one slice and a salad. That's a lot better than having no slice and just salad, for long-term adherence.

Some foods are too hard to stop at a good portion, though, and you should keep those restricted. I don't keep boxes of cookies around. If I want one, I'll buy one good cookie.

You can find new foods that are new favorites that don't cause you to gain easily, too. Try new things. Spend more on food. Tonight I'll treat myself with a slab of fresh sockeye salmon grilled on a cedar plank with specialty seasoning and fresh asparagus with a little hollandaise.

Other good 'treats' are non-food ones-- Reward yourself with perfume, movies, makeup, new pillows, art, books, whatever.
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Even when eating low carb counting calories matters. You can't just eat an entire package of bacon and a whole block of cheese and lose weight. It's all about finding a way to eat that works best for you and your body.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up any foods. I eat bread all the time. The difference is that I don't eat 2 bagels at a time (anymore).

Try counting your calories at a reasonable deficit for a few weeks. See how it goes. You'll find that you can eat all the things you want. You'll also realize you can't eat a ton of calorie dense foods because you'll have no calories left for dinner.
  • gummibear64
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your input. I just enjoyed my favourite bagel but it is almost like a "floodgate" opens and then I want to eat every carby thing in sight.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Grain carbs tend to make me more hungry, bloat me, make me retain water and pass lots of gas.....

I haven't cut them out totally, but I do limit them a bit (says the lady, that had pasta with her chicken and veggies for dinner) ;-)

See how you react to potatoes. They don't seem to effect me in a negative manner and the potassium in them help get rid of retained water too.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was going to be about Cougars. :tongue:

Bread and older women =/= Sugar Momma's
  • karinagw
    karinagw Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks editorgrrl. I am just wondering if I need to be at 1200 calories just to make things start moving. It kind of "freaks" me out to go really low-cal.

You'd be surprised what you can do. Here's my diary for yesterday. And, you'll notice I had room for more. It could be cherries, Kozy Shack Tapioca Pudding, or a Starbucks Venti Orange Refresher...all of which would STILL have left a few calories over.

http://www.cafekarina.org/1110.jpg
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Welcome, as you get older you need more patience to lose weight, take it slow, and be persistant. Log in all food and drink, and do your best to stay within your calories. If you want to eat more, excercise more, since that will give you more calories for that day. It's really not that hard, and you will be so glad in a couple of months. Make room for your favorite foods. You may have to eat a smaller portion or eat them less frequently, but the secret to success is to eat what you like, and just enough to not feel hungry. Wishing you the best. :smile:
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,617 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your input. I just enjoyed my favourite bagel but it is almost like a "floodgate" opens and then I want to eat every carby thing in sight.

I believe if you can find bread or bagels with a higher fiber content, this will not happen to you. I have found a bread which is whole grain, 80 cals, 2 gms fiber and 5 gms protein per slice. It is very good toasted with peanutbutter on top. Very filling for 80 cals. If you can make the switch to whole grains - it might help your cal count and stop you from craving more simple carbs.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

I just turned 50 last month and I am still struggling to lose about 60 pounds.:frown: I have tried all different types of diets but I get really messed up in my thinking that I need to cut down on bread and other carbs as I get older. I realize that there is a lot of debate about going low-carb. My dear mom lost 70 pounds by just following the calorie guidelines and adding occasional treats. My disabled son also lost 30 pounds at his residence by following a calorie-restricted diet (under dietican supervision). I would love to hear from older ladies and gents who have lost weight without cutting out there favourite foods. :flowerforyou:

I don't cut out bread or carbs per se but I do find that eating refined foods keeps me from being as slim as I'd like.
    I try to avoid white flour, sugar, added oils/fats, refined oils/fats, etc. I don't think it's necessary to go low carb, unless you mean low refined carbs, in which case that's always good. Carbs in their whole and unprocessed state are good for you.

And, my favorite foods AREN'T refined carbs like cupcakes and white bread or pancakes, etc. If your fav foods are those which aren't healthy, then you may have to avoid them to lose weight. That said, there's no reason to avoid having a treat once per month or whatever, if you can avoid binging on it.
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with bread. Just don' eat it with pasta, potatoes, rice. Moderation is the key. I am the same age as you.
  • gummibear64
    Options
    Thanks again for all the comments. I must agree that I never have problems with pasta, potatoes or rice. It is just the bread that brings out the binge monster in me even if it super high fibre.