Having a horrible day and am afraid I will blow it

Options
So this is about the time I usually blow it. I am trying to remain calm and make sure I keep myself busy and not think about my drug of choice, FOOD. I had some terrible news today and adding to it I have constant stresses from work instability and my life is just in limbo. Usually I have food to calm me down, but I need to lose this weight in case I have to get another job etc, I know I won't get hired looking the way I do. Not in my fashion industry. SO I need all the help I can get to make it through today. My goal is to stay low card. under 20g. AM trying to do the atkins induction phase for a couple of weeks. I need to some quick weight loss to get me motivated. My usual motivations of hot clothes and finding love are not doing it for me today as I am way too stressed and revved up to think about it. Can you guys tell me how you cope with stress to avoid eating? would love some feedback. Thanks to everyone in advance and happy Saturday.

Replies

• givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    Get out and get active. Spend some time at the gym or with a video and work up a really good sweat. Drink lots of water. Take a break after an hour and eat some fruit, then do some yoga or tai chi to settle your mind. Shower, then read a good book. By this tiem you should have passed the point of stress eating and have a better outlook. :flowerforyou:
  • amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    BUMP (this is my weak spot, too)
  • kilroyscarnival
    kilroyscarnival Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you flip your perspective for just a day or two and make your short-term immediate goal not about weight or size, but being faithful to yourself, honoring this commitment to yourself and acknowledging that this -- if other things are not -- is squarely in your control. Say to yourself, "I am going to respond to this bad time by focusing on taking good care of myself today."

Also, needless to say, keep busy. A good walk with some upbeat music might keep your head clear and give you time think about you. Don't let you distract yourself from thinking ahead about what that next healthy, nutritious meal should (WILL) be. My worst lapses are when I don't have a plan.

And best of luck to you.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    When I'm in as much of a funk as you seem to be today (and I'm sorry!!!), the only thing that really works is to get out of the house. Do you have any stuff you need to give away? You could load up the car and go to Goodwill (a cleaner closet plus the good feeling of giving things away can be great pick-you-ups). You could also go to the mall (as long as you're sure you won't buy any crap from the food court!) and walk, walk, walk, people watch, etc. Call up a friend to go with you.

Hang in there. =) Think about how stressed you'll feel tomorrow if you give in today!
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Options
    I understand completely. Stress is also my major issue. Having said that, my way of dealing with the stress is to go for a walk outside if you can and when you get a craving drink a full 8oz glass of water and wait 10mins. My craving usually goes away and feel better. The key is to keep your mind busy doing other things. Hope this helps.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk in the afternoon/evening when you get home or you can do some stretching or yoga at work or home. Find a way to destress and decompress when you get home.

Find ways for you to have time for yourself :)
  • chelsey86
    Options
    I exercise, i have an amazing core of friends who let me flip out on them ( they do the same in return lol ), take a nap ( if time permits ), chew gum, listen to my IPod, look at old pictures of myself ( to remind me why i'm doing this ), look at pictures of me now ( also a reminder ), to remember that I wanna be married eventually ( again ), juist think about your goals...

Cheer up :))
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I agree. Make sure you are somewhere other than home,, where you can workout and not be around food. Plenty of water and fruit or salad. Praying you through this. Stay strong and keep your chin up.
  • Hendrixpno
    Options
    I agree that getting out into the fresh air is probably the best thing to do. If you stay around home, you will find things to eat in every moment. And I doubly agree about letting today, when you're having a rough time, be more short-term oriented. Don't start thinking about how if you eat more today, in six months you won't have made your goal, etc. You'll just end up feeling guilty.

My most important addition, though, would be this--allow yourself one something you wouldn't normally. Go out, take a walk, and while you're out? Maybe you eat one little piece of chocolate or five potato chips, or whatever food sounds really, really good. Don't eat it immediately. But think about what actually sounds delicious, as you take your walk and think of other things. And then let yourself have it, in moderation, just a taste. And don't feel bad about it. No guilt, no judgment. Just knowing its okay to have a bad day, and its okay to self-comfort, and to prove to yourself that you can, now that you're committed, do it in moderation, rather than losing control.

Good luck :)
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Write! Start a journal for just these times. Write until no more thoughts come to your mind. I always worried that someone who shouldn't would find my journal. I then found out I could lock it with a password and according to the tech guys at Microsoft... if I forget the password, I'm out of luck.

Putting all of your emotions, anxieties and stresses down will help you to think through them. No one will read it so no spelling, no punctuation. If you can't get out and move today. Start writing. Every now and then get up, drink some water, stretch and even have a good for you snack.

Hope your day is better!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Ok I fully understand!
    It is REALLY hard some days not to eat everything in sight, BUT I stop before I do and go look in the mirror. Of course I am unhappy with what I see and I think to myself. "This is not me. This is not who I want to be." I think of the beach and how I wouldn't be caught dead walking down it with a bathing suit, but then think how happy I will be to one day do just that.

You need to find something to distract you. A game, puzzle, or just start writing. Write until your hand hurts. Write about your feelings and why you feel the need to punish yourself by giving into the temptations. Write about why you eat. Then read it back to your self and you will laugh at the excuses you make to eat and feel it's slightly silly. Take a quick walk. Anything. Read a book. Search for funny jokes. :)

And an FYI, carbs aren't evil. Just switch to whole grain and limit it like all other foods. Stay at your recommended cals/day and no less than 1200, exercise and you don't have to consume all of the cals you get "rewarded" Make sure to take a multivitamin with energy and I highly recommend buying B-50 vitamins and taking them twice daily (once with breakfast and once either with lunch or midafternoon snack). Both the multivitamin with energy and the B-50 will give you sustained energy as well as raise your metabolic rate. If you need any help or support, just let me know! :) Friend me if you like!
  • rore1
    rore1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    hi:) I am sorry you are having a bad day:( I share the same drug as you. My life has NEVER been this stressful. I have 3 kids,1 of them is on a basketball court 9 times a week that requires lots of driving (my hubby lives at work),I have a fulltime job,3 friends with cancer,one of them I am helping to take care of now since she just had a radical hysterectomy,a dad who is slowly dying (dimentia,alzheimer's,frontal lobe...) he is in a hospital 1 hour and half plane ride from here,I have to fly there when I can to help out and the list goes ON!!!! SO,I have always turned to food. It is hard not too....BUT what I am trying so hard to do now is turn to the treadmill. or going outside. or coming here to this site. I see my friends doing their exercises ,eating below their calories. I don't want to look like this anymore.It is adding to my stress,eating bad adds to my feeling awful:( so sometimes I will have a tiny tootsie roll and tell myself that is IT,no more than that. and if I have a really bad eating day I try to get to the stationary bike we have in the basement that we had never used!!! SO good luck and know that you have friends on here you can turn to. Make a post like this when you feel yuk and people will write something to motivate you and help! I hope your day gets better:) keep logging and checking into this site. I don't know how I feel about atkins...all I do is log here and I have lost 24 pounds in 105 days...it seems long but it will come off......
  • Mica64
    Mica64 Posts: 4
    Options
    Stay focused on your goals pick up a pen not food write down why you are here. Drink water and always wait the 20 minutes as they say you are usually thirsty, belive it or not, not hungry.I have a sign Nike JUST DO IT, so when I go through the list of why? I don't over think just get moving. Anything even a walk to the library and read. Usually no food or drink aloud. If you have a set back get right back on track tomorrow do not dwell on it. Good Luck.
  • cjengel
    cjengel Posts: 21
    Options
    When I'm angry-stressed, I go to the gym and burn it off. Yay happy endorphins! :)

When I'm about-to-fall apart stressed, I plop onto the couch and watch a movie and paint my fingernails. Painting my nails distracts me and keeps me from eating for a while. Plus I'm a stress-related nail biter so it keeps me from biting my poor nails too.

Also, talk. Don't keep what's bothering you to yourself. Talk to somebody who can just listen impartially, and let everything out. This is super important. I know that when I'm stressed I just need somebody who will listen to me and understand I need to rant, or cry, just to get it out :P

Good luck! I hope your day improves :)
  • sweetestthing
    Options
    thanks everyone such great advice!!
  • holotheory
    Options
    i am going to jump on kilroy's train!! that is very sound and saged advice. this is not about not eating or eating...it is really about how you treat your body and your soul. we have to love and respect ourselves enough to know what our body and mind need for fuel... coupled with the type of exercise you are comfortable with and you are on your way.
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My therapist always tells me that exercise is the best stress reducer. He says there is something about your feet hitting the pavement rhythmatically that helps your brain process stress. Hope you have a better day.
  • paigeofpearls
    Options
    I have had an issue with stress-eating for several years. I also cope with depression, but the best anti-depressant I have found is working out and putting all of my energy into doing something I enjoy. It's tough at first, but it gets easier when it becomes a habit. Also, I noticed that even eating a little sugar makes me crave food and get out of control with eating. I don't eat dairy, either, because I'm allergic. Since I've eliminated these (it's tough, believe me!), I've been easily able to eat much less food and have seen a reasonable amount of weight loss in a short period of time. Just stick with your goals, and keep looking to the future. It will happen! Find something you enjoy doing. I like Zumba, but it's only available for me twice a week, so I work out at home the rest of the week. Don't lose hope! You'll do great!