Feedback from FitBit users, Please.

Options
Hi everyone,I joined MFP in May 2014. I have learned so much about food, health, wellness, and exercise from the kind and generous people on here. I am losing weight and developing healthier eating habits. So far, so good. I would like to purchase a fitbit to track my activity level. The fitbit is actually my reward for achieving my 1st weight loss goal. I am interested in knowing how your fitbit has contributed to success in achieving your health goals. I am open to suggestions on what type of tracker would be best for my activity level.

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I don't use a Fitbit, but I do use a Bodymedia. It's taken absolutely all of the guesswork out of how much I burn each day, and how much I can eat and still lose weight. It's allowed me to keep my deficit modest (averaging 350 cals a day) so that I am able to treat myself. And it motivates me to move more so I can get check marks beside all my goals for the day. I highly recommend a fitness tracker. Which one you get depends on factors like how often you mind recharging, what phone you have to sync it with, whether you want to connect a HRM to it, stuff like that...but even the cheapest Fitbit is motivating and arms you with more information.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It's all a matter of personal preference. I only take my Flex off to charge, but some people can't wear a band at work.

MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

Edited to add that your Fitbit burn is your TDEE—way more accurate than any online calculator.
  • starseed777
    starseed777 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the information, Snuggle. Editor, thanks for the lInk. This is so helpful.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I have a little fitbit zip. It motivates me to better myself...no one but me. Its a small victory when I do more steps or complete my steps faster. I still only get in 5000 a day most days but for me with bad legs its good.
    Congrats on getting yours as a reward.

Cindy
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    For me the fitbit really was only useful to me when I started running, otherwise it would be pointless for me because it is basically a step counter. It is neat that it can connect to your phone and mfp and update though.
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit one. I keep it on my waist. I like how I get a quantitative number on how active I am through the day.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Zip, and I basically use it to see how active I am at work (retail job, lots of walking around). There are some days where I leave and am already at 12-13,000 steps. It also helps motivate me to walk more on my off days. As for which one, it's preference. I had a One for three months until I lost it and realized I didn't really need the extra features (sleep tracker and stairs), so I went back to the Zip. The Flex would never have worked for me as I spend a lot of time doing things with my hands that I feel it would have been too inaccurate for me.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and only take it off to charge, including wearing it in the pool for my water aerobics. I get a real thrill when it vibrates telling me I have reached my goal for the day, so I really make an effort to get to that point. Besides the activity counter, I really like the sleep function and that I am able to log additional things on the website like my glucose readings.

Yes, it is a high tech pedometer but the awareness of a number of things is good and the mini goals (lights flash for every 20% of your step goal) are motivating.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Flex. It's helped me lose 13lbs since the start of May.

I set MFP to Sedentary (even though I'm actually more active than that) and then allow FitBit to adjust my daily calories. Even though MFP says I need 1200 calories to lose 0.7lbs a week, I've been eating ~1500 and losing 1lb a week.
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    I got a Fitbit One soon after Christmas, and was somewhat sceptical about it, but have found it a real help. It gives me a clear picture of how many calories I burn each day, synchs seamlessly with MFP, and really does nudge me to be more active. I highly recommend it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I've been a Fitbit user for nearly 5 years. I like the ones that clip to your bra. I find the graphs and data motivating.