I have an unbelievable sweet tooth! Help!

Options
I have been battling my sugary food addiction since I was a teen. I'm hoping that it wasn't serious enough to where I needed anyone else's help but my own...but 80 lbs later, here I am at 261 lbs...unhappy and unhealthy. I need some battle strategies in combating my consistent want for sugars. I know that fruit can help tame it...but I find myself just wanting more sugar during the day. What should I do? Thank you in advance!!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you feel you have an actual addiction then you should get professional help.
  • betsser
    betsser Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like I can overcome it myself. Also, I don't have the money to go to a doctor. I'm in a difficult place in my life where I'm making money at my job so that I can have a place to stay :/
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    I have been battling my sugary food addiction since I was a teen. I'm hoping that it wasn't serious enough to where I needed anyone else's help but my own...but 80 lbs later, here I am at 261 lbs...unhappy and unhealthy. I need some battle strategies in combating my consistent want for sugars. I know that fruit can help tame it...but I find myself just wanting more sugar during the day. What should I do? Thank you in advance!!!

As someone who has a sugar addition, I'm going to tell you what works for me. Some people will frown on it and it's not magical cure. It's pure and simple will power mixed in with a lot of protein and fiber to offset hunger. I struggle with it everyday.

The first thing that pops in my head when I am hungry are sweets. This is from years and years of habits and won't be broken anytime soon.

Get rid of all sweets in your house. Get rid of excuses to eat sweets that are available and constantly flex your will power muscle and resist them. You won't win every time but don't beat yourself up. Will power is like a muscle and must be built.

The final blockade to sweet food is, and this is what most people will dislike, I look down at my stomach and I look at the food and I ask myself is this fat worth those sweets. The answer is almost always no.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Get rid of all sweets in your house. Get rid of excuses to eat sweets that are available and constantly flex your will power muscle and resist them. You won't win every time but don't beat yourself up. Will power is like a muscle and must be built.

The final blockade to sweet food is, and this is what most people will dislike, I look down at my stomach and I look at the food and I ask myself is this fat worth those sweets. The answer is almost always no.
    [/quote]

I agree with this 100%. If you dont have a healthy relationship with sweets maybe you should banish them from youf life for a while. Now that I have had a nice loss of 21lbs I have the mind set that I dont want sweets all the time and when I do want a treat I will fit it into my day.

Good luck
  • jolybac
    jolybac Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    As someone who has a sugar addition, I'm going to tell you what works for me. Some people will frown on it and it's not magical cure. It's pure and simple will power mixed in with a lot of protein and fiber to offset hunger. I struggle with it everyday.

The first thing that pops in my head when I am hungry are sweets. This is from years and years of habits and won't be broken anytime soon.

Same here. I also have found that giving up all added sugars helps tremendously with the sweets cravings (the beginning is rough though!). When I've been off added sugars for a while (1-2 weeks), fruit is much more satisfying!

Take a look at chocolatecoveredkatie.com - such a great blog for healthy indulgences!
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    Same here. I also have found that giving up all added sugars helps tremendously with the sweets cravings (the beginning is rough though!). When I've been off added sugars for a while (1-2 weeks), fruit is much more satisfying!

Take a look at chocolatecoveredkatie.com - such a great blog for healthy indulgences!

The beginning is enormously tough. Sugar addiction is a very real thing. Sugar has similar effects as several narcotics in the brain as far as the pleasure centers are concerned (cite pending if someone ask for it). If I eat something overly sweet, I can't help but begin this cycle of obsessing and binging.

I just avoid it. Every now and then I will split a cup of ice cream with my daughter (we both get 1/2 a cup) and I eat low-sugar ginger candy every now and then. Other than that, I just don't put much food with added sugar in my mouth for fear of the sugar monster taking over.

I'm at a month and a half within many added sugar things. Spicy foods have taken over. I still get sweet cravings though but it's getting easier to resist them.

Oh and those strawberry fudge bars on that blog look amazing.
  • jolybac
    jolybac Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Oh and those strawberry fudge bars on that blog look amazing.

They do! It has been a while since I've visited that blog. I just found this recipe for single serving cinnamon rolls :love:
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/03/01/single-serving-cinnamon-roll/

The only thing I don't like about some of her recipes is the use of agave.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you really feel like it's almost a sugar addiction, I wanted to share with you what I personally did to overcome. I eventually lost a ton of weight through cutting calories, too. But the first step was simply fighting the craving. Here's what I did. YMMV

I cut out all HFCS "High Fructose Corn Syrup" (and similar additives). 100%. Cut it out. I'd look at ingredient labels or the restaurant ingredient list, and if it contained HFCS I put it back on the shelf and looked for another brand that didn't have HFCS.

And that's all I did, I didn't log food. I wasn't trying to lose. I just cut out HFCS. It can sneak into a lot of "low fat" things. Bread, salad dressing, ketchup, granola bars. I still ate chocolate chip cookies and things with cane sugar. But only if they didn't have HFCS. The cravings went away within a couple months.

And then the most awesome thing happened. I ate something called a "sweet potato," and it actually tasted sweet. I'd NEVER liked plain sweet potatoes before. But now they're DELICIOUS. Carrots taste sweet to me now. Do I like sweet food? You bet. But now all those Little Debbies and glasses of mountain dew just taste like chemicals to me. They don't taste "sweet" anymore. Well, sort of. But not sweet in a way I enjoy. When I crave sweet, I have things like raisins and apples now. I truly don't "crave" Little Debbies and things like that anymore.
  • jennybinney1987
    jennybinney1987 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I buy the fiber one 90 calories cookies, brownies, etc. they are actually really good. and I buy the 100 calories snacks that have desserts. they are good too. weight watchers makes desserts called smart ones, you can find them in the frozen section. their ice cream is amazing. I have a serious sweet problem as well and am over 200 pounds as well. but I dropped the dr. pepper, started drinkin water, dropped the sweets bought the above mentioned stuff, and ive lost 10 pounds in only 2 weeks.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Simply add more and more greens to your diet,don't add any sweet stuff to them,it will go within a few days.The more greens you consume the faster the sweet craving will leave you.Sugar gets you addicted to want to have more and more ,Greens help neutralize your palette.Also,It could be magnesium deficiency do check with your doctor.eating more sugar to curb sugar craving is not the solution,it becomes an endless loop.

This is from my personal experience.