39lb to lose by Nov... How to stay focussed?!

Options
Hi

I've been using the app on and off for the last 2 years but never seem to be able to keep logging for more than a few weeks at a time.

THIS TIME I AM DETERMINED!!

Does anyone have any tips on how to stay focussed? Also, I weigh myself every morning - it's become a habit! Does anyone have any other routines, should I be weighing every other day or even every week?

Luckily I've managed to convince my live in boyfriend to lose weight with me (he needs to lose about 50lb).

Any hints, tips, diets etc welcome!!

Replies

• JNiederkorn87
    JNiederkorn87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to only weighing myself once a week. It's hard! But I find myself getting discouraged if I do it every day, and you're body fluctuates throughout the day.

That's great that your boyfriend is doing this with you, it's a great way to stay motivated!

You should look into clean eating. It's great for your body and it's kind of a no brainr when it comes to health. It today's busy society that's a gift!

I wish you luck!
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that if something is not enjoyable, or if I can't find an aspect that becomes enjoyable, then I won't stick with it. I've never won by setting a deadline. At least not for weight loss. I don't cook, but I am doing simple cooking lately, and then taking a picture of it. it makes it fun. My goal is to lose two pounds a week, and stick with it until I feel comfortable with my weight.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Things that keep me focused:
    - I weigh myself every day.
    - I plan the next day's eating the night before.
    - I took body measurements when I started and re-do them weekly.

The most motivating thing is probably experiencing the benefits of getting healthy - watching the weight come off each week, seeing the change in my body shape and feeling my clothes getting looser.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, but I am a stat geek.
    I have found that it helps to concentrate on the things to add to my diet rather than the things that I need to avoid. When I stay focused on getting enough hydration, getting my servings of fruits and veggies, the regulation of any junk food kind of takes care of itself.
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    I would divide up your larger goal into smaller goals and then just work towards the first smaller goal before thinking about the next one, etc.
  • pippala
    pippala Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for all your posts, I eat pretty clean at the min, lots of roast veggies & fish, sweet potatoes and chicken. My biggest down fall if the binging - if I'm in the mood to eat bad, junk food I'll eat to excess then feel awful.

Doesn't happen a lot just when I've been lazy and not exercised or if it's been a particularly long day.

I used to run and should be able to start getting back into soon - had a bad hip injury that I've just done 14 weeks physio for (gaining 10lbs! GRRRR!)

I might keep with the daily weigh ins then - I love my digital scales!

How are you all finding it - liking the new habits?
  • MickeyGully
    MickeyGully Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When It come to weighing you self, Everyday is a bad idea in my opinion because naturally the bodies weight will change a little. To get the best results I found that picking one day a week say Tuesday pick a time so Morning you way yourself and record it. Then the following Tuesday you would weigh yourself at that same time and record it. This will give you a little more consistent results and since there is a week in between it will show any weight changes that have happen. Maybe hide that scale some where you won't see it every morning and then pull in out on your once a week weigh mornings. I hope this helps and best of luck to you guys.
  • Listeninguponyou
    Listeninguponyou Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've been using the app on and off for the last 2 years but never seem to be able to keep logging for more than a few weeks at a time.

THIS TIME I AM DETERMINED!!

Does anyone have any tips on how to stay focussed? Also, I weigh myself every morning - it's become a habit! Does anyone have any other routines, should I be weighing every other day or even every week?

Luckily I've managed to convince my live in boyfriend to lose weight with me (he needs to lose about 50lb).

Any hints, tips, diets etc welcome!!

I would say to just weigh every week, because an obsession is not healthy. Advice? Build a family on MFP to keep you motivated and goal oriented. Join challenges and groups. Make an exercise plan to follow weekly and stick to healthy eating. Remember everything is a process, don't rush it. I would also check the top forum (sexypants) for good advice.

Hope you reach your goals. :flowerforyou:
  • pippala
    Options
    Thank you! Right, I'll put the scales away and do it every week instead.

Plan is to get back to running 3 x week and eat very clean! Little by little... I don't expect this to be easy.
  • Limath
    Limath Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I would say to just weigh every week, because an obsession is not healthy. Advice? Build a family on MFP to keep you motivated and goal oriented. Join challenges and groups. Make an exercise plan to follow weekly and stick to healthy eating. Remember everything is a process, don't rush it. I would also check the top forum (sexypants) for good advice.

Hope you reach your goals. :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

I agree with this person. Also, I would give up the 'deadline' of November. If you are truly doing everything you can, you will eventually get to your goal. Setting a deadline is a good way to get discouraged and give up.

It's been difficult for me to accept this, but it has been my biggest motivator to keep going. I'm working out regularly, I'm logging & eating within my calories the majority of the time. I'm not losing as fast as I would like, but I've given up the race mentality for the first time, and so far, this has been the longest I've stuck to a plan in a long time.
  • pippala
    Options
    I'm breaking down my deadline into lbs per week lost (1.5-2lbs). I'm worried that if I don't set a deadline I'll go off course and lose my target.

I guess I'll just see how I get on! Currently I'm feeling pumped and keen to get these rolls off my belly so I can look good for me, my man and generally boost my self esteem!