Bread and older women

Options
2»

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The carby cravings are hard to fight. Yes, if I eat one slice of bread, I want a whole loaf. But that is a problem with my self-control not a problem with bread. So, right now, I deal with the problem by avoiding bread but I do love it so I am not "giving it up." I'm avoiding it right now while I work on my self control. I'm also learning what foods sate me without causing the munchies. For me, it's sweet tastes and carbs and fat and time of day. After 10 p.m. I could easily scarf a loaf of homemade bread, a stick of butter and 1/2 a jar of marmalade. And in answer to the Lay's Potato Chip ad - no, I can't eat just one.

So, is the problem that bread, butter, and marmelade are BAD? Should I say, "Well, I'll never eat them again!" Heck no. Right now, I'm avoiding them while I learn self control.

You've learned that the bagel sends you over the wall toward a carb binge -- so maybe you avoid bagels for awhile -- or only eat them at a bagel shop where you buy one, eat one, and leave. Maybe you stock the fridge with cheese sticks, like I do, because they tend to sate me more than a carb.

There is scientific evidence that, at least for some of us, carbs and sweet tastes pique our appetites. For us, cutting out artificial sweeteners does make a difference in our cravings.

We each need to figure out how to find an eating behavior that works for us. It ain't easy. And anyone who criticizes you for not choosing their route or says, "just do it," should be ignored. You and I and so many people have a tough row to hoe but at least we are here trying.

So, in the end, I congratulate you for recognizing what the bagel did to your appetite. Now, no guilt, just work on figuring out how to overcome it -- not just for today but for the future.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    Thanks again for all the comments. I must agree that I never have problems with pasta, potatoes or rice. It is just the bread that brings out the binge monster in me even if it super high fibre.

I'm like that with bread too - you're not alone! :smile:

I've learned its best not to keep a loaf in the house, and just to buy a roll instead, so that when it's gone it's gone. And /Or I have bread on days when I do a serious workout, so have more calories to play with (I'm small, female and almost 50, so have a low calorie goal compared to many).

Plus - when I reach my goal weight, I'll have 500 more calories to play with every day, and can have more bread. So I'm patient ...
    Good luck!
    :smile:
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the comments. I must agree that I never have problems with pasta, potatoes or rice. It is just the bread that brings out the binge monster in me even if it super high fibre.

I'm 52 and lost all my weight eating 200+ grams of carbs per day. Quite a bit of bread, too. But I am also pretty active and purposely don't sit nearly as much as many people I know and that helps a lot.

That said, everyone is different. If bread is a trigger food for you that can lead to binging, you may want to cut it out of your diet, at least temporarily.

Best wishes!
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Onderwoman
    Onderwoman Posts: 130
    Options
    This sounds like a name for a sexually intimate novel :D
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I love bread! All bread, any bread, any time of day! Thought I'd just share this with you,absolutely no advice to offer...sorry:blushing: