For women with IUD.

Options
I have in the past and currently been reading all the good, bad and ugly stories pertaining to the paraguard and mirena. I thought I would share my story and maybe hear some of yours being the only threads I can find are old.

May 2012 I decided (for the first time in my life) to get on birth control. Being I was 33, one child, and not planning on anymore my doctor recommended the paraguard. At that time I weighed 163. Placement was terrible but nothing that I couldn't handle(natural, vaginal birth would top my most painful experience). For the first year of having the IUD I bled probably 300 days out of 365. Mostly spotting but a major inconvenience. Also experienced more painful periods. So this last year my periods have somewhat got better but still hindering. I start spotting about 4 days before my period, start my period which last from 7-9 days and then have the yuck 3 days following. Each month during ovulation I also spot for around 3 days. So needless to say I am still(over 2 years later) bleeding more than not.

During these 2 years I have also gained a lot of weight(251 as of April). I do NOT blame the IUD for my weight gain. I also in 2012 got out of a 16 year long relationship (all but traumatic), was in a major car accident, and well got lazy and ate like no one business. I have always been heavy so when I started gaining back what I worked so hard to lose I just pushed it to a back burner!

I decided in may that I was going to change my life yet again. This is no joke for people who struggle with their weight. It's not easy to accept this lifestyle change but that is what we have to do to be better version of ourselves. So I start eating clean, very little exercise and the weight started to come off. I still however have these awful periods, and during these I have around a 9 day staull each month. Yeah, it stinks. But as of today I have lost 29 pounds.

With a that being said I have decided to switch my paraguard to the mirena. I have read all the horror stories along with good stories and have decided to give it a shot. I always have the option later to get a tubal(my doctor suggested it but a step I'm not ready to make) in hope that my periods get better! I never had a problem before the paraguard...3-4 day periods in fact! I'm just tired from the bleeding and the cramping. I will be having it replaced in the next month so hopefully I will be able to keep this updated for anyone who is interested. There isn't much input on replacement of IUDs as well as switching. Any similar experiences would be appreciated as well :-)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on switching as I used Mirena only for 7 years. The only reason I am not currently using it is because it slipped...nont totally out but enough it wasn't being effective, otherwise I would still use it.

I do not have any horror stories from Mirena...my experience was perfection. Inserted, didn't hurt (later cramping hurt but went away in about 30mins) and from the point I had it in my cycle stopped totally...I mean nadda..nothing...

The only thing I can say about mirena is that it is suppose to last 5 years...I would, if I got another one, replace it every 4...just because as the hormones decrease in the 5th year I was back to "normal" for tenderness in my breast, bloating, PMS and I just didn't like it...esp after almost 15 years of none of that.

I hope your experience with Mirena is better than with paraguard...the other option is depo...that is what I am using atm until I get another IUD or tubal...
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience with either. I'm getting Mirena put in on the 24th and would love to read about what experiences people have had with it.
  • erbell3
    erbell3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi just to give you a little encouragement, my daughter has had a Mirena IUD for about two years now. She always had pretty horrific periods (as do I) but the Mirena has worked wonders. She had light periods for about three months after having it put in then her periods stopped for the most part. She will occasionally have a little spotting, but nothing like you're describing. I hope it works as well for you! I did the depo provera shot for about six months a few years ago, ended up bleeding for a straight year after, so I no that really gets in the way of living your life.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    from the point I had it in my cycle stopped totally...I mean nadda..nothing...

I would so love that. Actually, I'm kind of hoping for that side effect. :laugh:
  • MandysChange
    MandysChange Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am on my second Mirena. They only last five years and I have one more year left on the one I have right now. I have had nothing but wonderful things with it. I hardly ever have a cycle and if I do it only lasts three days and is very light compared to what I had before the IUD. I would recommend it to anyone who wants cycle control.
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I was on the pill most of my adult life and realized after I went off it that it contributed to my depression (not caused, but contributed). So when I found myself in a sexual relationship and needed birth control, I wanted something non-hormonal.

My drug plan covered Mirena, but not a copper one, so at my Dr's suggestion, I tried Mirena. I'm almost at my forth year with and have never regretted it.

I'm 42 and have had one natural vaginal birth when I was 20. When not on the pill, my periods lasted 10 days. When I was on the pill (either Triquilar or Triphasil) my periods were 5 days. Since having the IUD, I might get half a day of spotting once every 2-3 months. When I first had it installed, I did have some minor cramping for a few days, but nothing that interfered with my life.

I will have to decide what I'm going to do in Sept 2015 (Mirena is good for 5 years). I will be 43 and I'm not sure about birth control in my 40's and approaching menopause, but I'll talk to my Dr. Based on how I feel now, I would get another Mirena IUD if that is an option for me at that age.

Applause to you for taking steps to improve your life and take care of your health more!!
  • Melistia
    Melistia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate you all commenting! I enjoy seeing people's experiences. Thanks for the great feedback:-) I know these are popular forms of bc but not much updated info can be found. Hopefully it will bring insight for women considering them. For anyone that has had thiers replaced... Was the reinsertion as bad the first time? Side effects, pain etc?
  • FreeAnik
    FreeAnik Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For me, Mirena was a nightmare. Migraines (which I had never had prior), weight gain, mood swings, depression, acnee (mainly in my back), major cramping the first year, hairloss (I already had hairloss problems but my doctor told me it wouldn't affect it... Wrong! I've lost massive amounts), death of my libido. Most of these symptoms, I didn't relate to Mirena until I started to research on internet for my next contraceptice measure. Most of my problems faded fast after it was taken out except for my hairloss for which it was to late. On the positive side, I had no periods. At all. Ever. That was fun.

That being said, I know loads of women who totally love Mirena and have no side effects what-so-ever. I always tend to react to medication and hormones. I had to quit birth control pill when I was younger, it made me nautious, gave me headaches and made me grumpy.

After almost 5 years of hell, I sent my man to get a vasectomy. :happy: :laugh:
  • MrsFatbap2014
    MrsFatbap2014 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just to reassure you it is simple and easy to have inserted - I have a tilted cervis so it is a little trickier for mine to be put in but never the less I am on my 5th Mirena coil (had 2 removed to conceive) and can only comment on how it has positively changed my life. Pre mirena I was like you and bled for 25 out of every 30 days with huge clots, pain, bloating and PMT etc constantly, I now spot occasionally, don't suffer from PMT, pain or bloating unless I have eaten something that irritates my IBS. Each time I have it inserted it can be a little uncomfy similar to having a smear and I have menstrual like cramps for that evening and a little ovulation pain mid cycle for a couple of months after for a day but this is so insignificant I don't even need pain killers, its just a bit tender. Removal for me is painless. I hope it is as trouble free for you as it has always been for me and if the worst happens and you don't get on with it you can have it taken out any time you want without having to wait for side effects to wear off like some methods of contraception.
  • Melistia
    Melistia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also have a tilted cervix. The paraguard insertion was very painful however. I was the first insertion for the doctor who done mine. If I would have known then what I know now...I read its smoother having done when a doc has more experience. They did offer a local numbing spray but said it would make my heart race. I opted out being I'm already a bit of an anxious person. I'm hopeful this one goes smoother considering the nightmare the paraguard has been. Thank you for your input:-)
  • QAPmom
    QAPmom Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena and LOVE it! I was so scared to get it because I heard so many horror stories, etc. about these. Insertion was a little painful, I got a little woozy after they put it in and I sat up, the dr and nurse said that was from your cervix moving when they put the clamp on-it jumbles your body a bit...when home and cramped for a little while, took some ibuprofen and that was it. It does take your body a little while to get used to. At least for myself and a few other friends it did, I know everyone is different. But I had 1 normal period and now I might spot a for a couple hours 1 day of the month. But so far this has been the best birth control I have ever been on! Good luck with yours ;)
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have had a Mirena since April 2011 and it's had no effect on me gaining or losing weight. My sedentary lifestyle, complacency, and decisions to eat an entire bag of potato chips with a 16 oz tub of sour cream and onion dip mix as a snack are what caused me to gain weight, not the IUD.

I love it, and per SexzyStef's suggestion, I will have mine replaced with another one next April when I hit year 4.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    A well known side effect of the paraguard is heavy bleeding. The Mirena is known to stop periods.

I had the Mirena put in as my periods have always been out of control. I was on estrogen for a long time, and then I had blood clots and can no longer have estrogen. I tried progesterone only, and I bled nonstop for four months. My doctor put in the Mirena. The first six months were Hell, but you might not have that since you're just switching IUDs. I bled CONSTANTLY. Like had to go get my iron checked because I was bleeding so much. It finally stopped. Since then, I've only had one period per month, and my cycle keeps getting longer. I used to run like a 20 day cycle, I'm currently at 33 days and it keeps getting longer every time. I still have my fingers crossed it will stop completely. My periods are MUCH lighter - usually only one day that I need a tampon, and I just spot the rest of the time.

For those who have never had an IUD: it was the worst thing ever getting it put in. I almost threw up on the doctor it hurt so bad, and I had to pull over again on my way home to throw up. I have not had kids though, and I know that's supposed to make it harder. They had issues getting it through my cervix. I'd recommend having someone drive you just in case your experience is like mine...I barely made it home.

Also, no effect on my weight loss. Any weight loss (or lack thereof) is directly related to what I'm putting in my mouth. I do get some discomfort and spotting when I work out, and sometimes I can feel it poking me if I lay on my belly. The only thing I HATE about it is about 3 weeks into my cycle I get really bad acne.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi! So sorry to read that you've been having trouble with an IUD. I've been using European versions of the Paraguard for 30 years. The main difference between it and the Mirena is, that the first is copper based, the second is hormone based.
    I never had any problems WHATSOEVER. Lucky me, as I don't do well with any of the other contraceptives.
    I don't have any allergies, but how are you doing with copper?
    Also, my doctors have been very thorough during the examination, and made sure to pick the correct size.
    I've been through a few of those 'exchanges', and the best prep is to take 2 Tylenol before, and relax during. Timing also plays a big part. It's supposed to be done during the last days of your period, when there's just enough wiggle room to work, but not too much to have the IUD come out again.
    About the procedure...after the second time, I made the doc explain to me, what he was actually doing. Surprisingly, it became a lot less painful after that, because I knew when to relax and not to cramp up. Maybe that will help you a bit.

Good luck!
  • bonkosaurusrex
    Options
    I'm getting Mirena tomorrow! I've never had an IUD before. I have been on Yaz, Implanon, and the Ring. Implanon turned me into a heinous *****, and nearly ruined my relationship! I've been off of Hormonal BC for over a year and everything's back to normal, but I'm looking to get some additional protection from the chance of a "whoopsie-baby". =) Mirena seems to be what I'm looking for.