Quick & Easy Breakfast Ideas

Quick and fulfilling breakfast ideas? I work retail, so I do not have a set work schedule. Usually three or four days a week I wake up at 4:00 in the morning. Of course, everyone else in the house is still asleep at that time. I am not a big fan of cereal. Would love some recipes that I could make the night before or even just basic breakfast ideas.

Replies

• Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    Do you have a toaster? English muffins with peanut butter and bananas are tasty (and you can eat it on the way to work!). I also love yogurt and fruit in the mornings which involves zero cooking which is nice :)
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    I am a big fan of making breakfast items ahead of time and then grabbing them in the morning.

Date balls:
    There are a bunch of date/coconut ball recipes floating around out there. Mine have a cup of figs, a cup of pitted dates, 1.5 tbsp of peanut butter, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, and a heaping tbsp of crushed nuts (cashews or almonds), and then they are coated in coconut. Lately I've been throwing dried apricots and peaches in there sometimes just to add tang.

Soak all ingredients in water to soften, about 15 minutes. Crush nuts in a nut grinder or with a rolling pin. Throw it all in the food processor. You will have to stop and squish things down a few times. Then, remove the blade and make rough balls. Roll them in shredded coconut and put them in the fridge. I usually end up with 12, and take 2 to work every day for late-morning hunger pangs.

Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal:
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/09/baked-pumpkin-pie-oatmeal/

Zucchini Fritters:
    http://damndelicious.net/2014/04/02/zucchini-fritters/

And then of course, hard boiled eggs are great to grab and go.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Overnight oats (most people either LOVE it or HATE it).

My version is about a 1/4 cup rolled oats, half cup almond milk, half cup greek yogurt, 1/4 cup pumpkin flax granola. Mix and let sit overnight. I eat cold right out of the fridge.
  • Sassymama66_75HARD
    Sassymama66_75HARD Posts: 91 Member
    I have my keurig coffee over ice with 1/4 cup half & half, 2 or 3 hard boiled eggs (made ahead for the week) and some fruit almost every morning. Keeps me full until lunch.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    jimmy dean breakfast sandwiches de-lites
    the turkey sausage one
  • Sassymama66_75HARD
    Sassymama66_75HARD Posts: 91 Member
    jimmy dean breakfast sandwiches de-lites
    the turkey sausage one

Those are yummy with some fruit! I have them from time to time.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Sometimes I will cook up a week's worth of Bob's Red Mill 5 Grain Rolled Hot Cereal, and put it in the fridge. You just nuke the amount you want every morning. It is an acquired taste, but I add protein powder to mine anyway, so it taste like chocolate and peanut butter.

And I do a lot of breakfast stir-fry's with veggies out of the garden, but I work nights and weekends, so time is not an issue for me in the morning.

But most days I do 28 gr Kashi Go Lean Crunch, 20 gr Nature Value Protein Granola, 4 gr Bob's Red Moll Flax Seed Meal, 21 gr Body Fortress Protein Powder and 1/2 cup of 2% milk. Pretty boring, but it works for me.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Quest bar
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    I usually have a greek yogurt with a banana or some sort of smoothie. My sister recently gave me a bunch of Shakeology so I use that for a quick breakfast before heading to school in the morning. On occasion I eat 2 slices of whole wheat bread with 1/4-1/2 of an avocado with just a dash of salt.
  • emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    I try to keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge. I do one or two eggs with either a bagel thin or an english muffin. Add a splash of a Bolthouse fruit smoothie and I'm full till lunch.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Quest bar

This, or a banana, are what I eat on weekends driving into work at 4:45/5:45 in the morning until I can sit down and get something more filling. And if Quest bars are too expensive for you, any protein bar will do, especially ones you can make on your own!
  • Lianei
    Lianei Posts: 6 Member
    I've got Greek yoghurt, strawberries, oats and a teaspoon of jam mixed up in the fridge for tomorrow morning. Another favourite is egg and broccoli muffins - I got my recipe off of Pinterest - they are quick and easy to make and you can freeze them which is always handy :-)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Overnight oats (most people either LOVE it or HATE it).

My version is about a 1/4 cup rolled oats, half cup almond milk, half cup greek yogurt, 1/4 cup pumpkin flax granola. Mix and let sit overnight. I eat cold right out of the fridge.
    I'll second the overnight oats for a fast breakfast, and easy to grab & go. My version is 1/2 cup oats (I use
    Trader Joe's multi-grain oatmeal - no mushy texture!), 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 milk (or milk sub), 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Pop it in a jar, shake it up and put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning I add fresh or frozen fruit (frozen blueberries are great, or fresh peaches, bananas, strawberries, raspberries), a tablespoon of honey, and 1/8 cup walnuts. Good stuff.
  • overnight oats
    pb toast with bananas
    cocowheats

i'm really just naming my favorites haha
  • bunsen561
    bunsen561 Posts: 5 Member
    Alton Brown's Buff Smoothie. I make 'em four at a time in quart Mason jars. In the morning, pluck one out of the fridge and invert it onto the blender. Drink with a straw during your commute.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Maybe consider messing around with some breakfast wraps - nice and portable. maybe stuff a tortilla with spinach and eggs, or peanut butter or cream cheese and smoked salmon or what ever floats your boat.

There are also some good recipes for morning glory muffins on the internet - make a batch of 12 and have with either a piece of fruit or a yogurt or something
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Banana with peanut butter and sunflower seeds.
  • Ryan6691
    Ryan6691 Posts: 22 Member
    Go buy a good quality meal replacement shake. 1st Phorm markets pretty good ones.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Tortillas filled with scrambled eggs and you can add sausage, bacon or onions. You can freeze enough for the whole week and pop them in the microwave for a couple minutes.

If you use egg whites, you can make a huge tortilla with eggs, peppers and onions for about 150 calories.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    To make things really easy, why not cook the night before so in the morning, you can just grab and go?
    Things I like:
    Fruit
    Soup or rice porridge (homemade, portioned out the night before)
    Leftover dinner
    Any sandwiches if you prepare beforehand
    Boiled eggs

There's no such thing as "breakfast foods" in my dictionary. Lol. I eat anything anytime. :D