Breakfast Smoothies

Options
kay__emm
kay__emm Posts: 3
What are some healthy and filling breakfast smoothies that are easy to make? I am often in a rush in the morning, and have not found anything remotely healthy in my travels to work.

Thanks!

Replies

• AbnormalSpring
    AbnormalSpring Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You could give this one a try.

Creamy Cashew
    Nuts in a smoothie? You bet. Cashews add texture and healthy fats, which keep blood sugar spikes at bay.

SERVINGS: 1

¼ c cashews
    1 medium frozen banana
    1 c fat-free milk
    2 Tbsp wheat germ
    1 tsp honey
    3 ice cubes

Combine ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

NUTRITION (per serving) 403 cal, 9.5 g pro, 57.5 g carb, 6 g fiber, 13 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 36 mg sodium
  • jenekaking
    jenekaking Posts: 25
    Options
    I am a the smoothie queen. I am always perfecting my smoothie recipes.

But my favorite is my banana strawberry smoothie. I make enough for my husband as well so you can cut it in half. I like my shakes full and smooth. I'm not a fan of ice in a smoothie.

Ingredients:
    One cup almond milk.
    Two scoops whey vanilla protein.
    Four frozen strawberries.
    Handful of frozen blueberries.
    Half a frozen banana.
    One cup of plain fat free greek yogurt.
    Half a cup of oats.
    One table spoon of crushed flax seed.

Blend until smooth.

Deliciousness in a cup. ????????
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My go to smoothie recipe:

1 cup liquid (almond milk, coconut milk, or even water)
    1 cup greens (spinach, kale, romaine lettuce or bok choy are my favorites to add)
    1 cup cucumber chunks
    1.5 - 2 cups fruit (I like to use frozen pineapple, strawberries, mango, blueberries or oranges)
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    1 tbsp ground flax seed
    3-4 mint leaves

Blend together in stages (greens first, then fruits) and then chug-a-lug! The cucumber and mint makes this super refreshing.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a banana, 1 cup of strawberries, 3 oz of orange juice, 1/2 cup of milk, a tsp of vanilla, a little water and a tbsp of chia seeds.
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup almonds (or cashews)
    1 scoop protein powder
    strawberries
    mangoes
    blueberries
    and whatever liquid
  • Fit4Yah
    Fit4Yah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a frozen banana, 6-8 oz water, tablespoon or two of cacao powder, and a tablespoon or two of peanut butter depending on the calorie range you are wanting to stay at. That's my favorite fast basic one. Sometimes I'll add chia seeds and/or flax seed, and spinach as well for added nutrition.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Green smoothie: banana, spinach, kiwifruit, pineapple (frozen chunks act like ice cubes), linseed + 1/2 c water
    Berry smoothie: banana, frozen berries, 1/4c tinned peaches (for the sweetness) linseed + 1/2c water
    Makes about 500ml and I drink it while driving to work
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about dealing with the issue of being in a rush in the morning? That is really stressful and starts the day off badly. Do you stay up too late and cause yourself to have difficulty getting up early enough to take time for yourself in the morning? That said, I personally think that making smoothies is more work than scrambling an egg, or baking an apple in the microwave and sprinkling it with granola.
  • courtney549
    courtney549 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies and use my nutribullet almost every day. My new favorite smoothie is a blueberry and oatmeal smoothie.
    1 banana
    1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1 cup milk of choice- I use almond or coconut
    1-2 ice cubes
    dash of cinnamon
    protein powder- this is optional depending on my mood.

I work as a nurse and eat breakfast at 6am and sometimes don't eat till 11-12pm. This keeps me full for 5-6 hours later.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I like making this chocolate PB banana shakes - tastes like a dessert, but it is actually good for you!

1 scoop chocolate protein powder ( I use Cyto Sport 100% whey)
    1 cup pure coconut water
    half a banana ( I keep banana chunks in the freezer so they are always ready for my smoothies)
    2 tbsp of PB2 or regular peanut butter
    4 ice cubes

This makes 2 servings, but I usually drink it all - I would especially if it is in place of a meal.
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Mine is super simple: 1 cup frozen cherries, 1 cup almond milk (I use the light vanilla flavor), 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup ice. I hate smoothies with bananas in them. I'm going to try doing half strawberries and half cherries tomorrow.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm usually rushed in the morning but I've found that if I get all my smoothie ingredients ready the night before, it goes a lot smoother. I measure everything out and put it in a Ziploc baggie and put it in the freezer. Then in the morning I just have to dump out the bag and add in whatever liquid. Also, I have a 30 minute drive to work so when it's all frozen, my smoothie stays cold even after I get to work.
    Have you thought about dealing with the issue of being in a rush in the morning? That is really stressful and starts the day off badly. Do you stay up too late and cause yourself to have difficulty getting up early enough to take time for yourself in the morning? That said, I personally think that making smoothies is more work than scrambling an egg, or baking an apple in the microwave and sprinkling it with granola.
  • activefatgirl
    activefatgirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the weight watchers smoothies with a banana.
  • itsgrae
    itsgrae Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make mine in the morning before work. ( I get up at 6:00am)
    My current favourie smoothie which keeps me fuller for longer. All fresh ingredients, nothing frozen.

40g Rolled Oats
    200ml KOKO Coconut Milk / Almond Milk
    1 x Banana
    1 x Kiwi Fruit
    50g Pineapple
    24g Whey Protein - Vanilla flavour
    Blitz, pour and take away
    355 calories per serving

Soak the Rolled Oats for 10 mins with coconut/almond milk in the blender.
    I tend to measure the milk first, add oats to soak in the blender, and then weigh, chop, peel and prepare fruit, quick tidy up and then blitz.

Though to be fair, I also enjoy my Berry one too:
    200ml KOKO Coconut Milk / Almond Milk
    1 x Banana
    50g Strawberries
    50g Blueberries
    50g Blackberries
    24g Whey Protein - Vanilla flavour
    Blitz, pour and take away
    416 calories per serving

Hope you try and enjoy!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Easy-Squeezey Strawberry Banana Protein Smoothie
    1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1/2 cup water
    1 big handful of baby spinach
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1/2 frozen banana
    1 cup frozen strawberries

Blend into a delicious 262-calorie shake (will vary depending on what protein powder you use). Mine has about 27 g protein.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Banana PB+Chocolate Protein Smoothie

1 small banana cut into chunks, frozen
    1/2 cup 1% milk
    2 scoops vanilla protein powder
    1 tbs creamy peanut butter
    1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    3 ice cubes

Bananas - Raw, 1 small (6" to 6-7/8" long) 90
    Generic - Kroger 1% Low Fat Milk, 4 oz 50
    Eas Lean 15 Protein Powder - Whey Vanilla Cream, 2 scoops (30g) 100
    Kroger Value - Creamy Peanut Butter, 1 tbsp 90
    Nestle - Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, 0.33 Tbsp 6

Cal 336 Carb 45 Fat 10 Protein 24 Sodium 306 Sugar 24

Mine came to 336 calories, but depending on your ingredients/preferences you could lower the calorie count.
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    smoothies are fast and easy and I love them!!! I freeze everything - in ziplocs - so every morning I choose what I'm in the mood for... base liquids can be unsweetened almond milk, low sugar drinkable yogurt or water... I don't ever use ice cubes - but all the ingredients are frozen... kale, spinach or swiss chard, avocado, cucumber, edamame - then fruit - you can freeze everything... or buy them in pre-frozen bags... strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, grapes, pineapple, cantaloup, honeydew, banana, mango, cherries, watermelon... I will sometimes add whey protein, PB2 or chocolate PB2 and top it up with water. calories are usually between 200 and 225...
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I make mine with 1 cup almond milk 30 cal, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup strawberries frozen, 4oz fage yogurt, 2 T PB2. I change my fruit everyday always frozen ones.
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    250ml coconut water, half an avocado, 100g frozen berries (any!), half a banana (or a whole one if easier) aaand blend

Also: sometimes I put in vanilla protein powder, chia seeds, and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Whatever you fancy! Chia seeds are good for fibre so I like them, and sometimes I feel like I need more protein, also heard that cinnamon is a good natural fat burner - hey if it's nonsense at least it tastes good!
  • WildCatClimbs
    WildCatClimbs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had success with blending the smoothie the night before? My Vitamix is SUPER loud, well ok not super loud but loud enough that I don't want to use it at 7am while my husband is still asleep. I love the idea of a grab and go healthy breakfast, it would save me so much time in the morning!